• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Orleans 2022 - present

Chris Hennes

Last year I was in NOLA for the first time, and did a short foodblog about it. In that trip I ate at Luke, Herbsaint, GW Fins, Willie May's, Cochon, Galatoire's, Pêche, and the MSY airport location of Leah's Cafe.

I was back again this past weekend, so figured I'd keep on documenting...

First up is Trenasse, where we'd intended to eat last time and been forced to divert due to construction that ended up closing the restaurant. I started with the gumbo:

IMG_0571.jpeg

My wife with the tomato bisque:

IMG_0572.jpeg

They were out of shrimp enough to do the shrimp and grits, but could do the "Taste of Trenasse" which consisted of smaller portions of three different entrees, including the shrimp and grits. So I went with that (Louisiana Crawfish Pie, Pan Fried Redfish Meunière, Shrimp & Grits):

IMG_0574.jpeg

And my wife went with blackened redfish:

IMG_0573.jpeg

Nothing was bad, but it was pretty forgettable. The Crawfish Pie was probably the highlight, but unless that's really what you're craving I'm not sure there's a lot of reason to seek this place out. Then again, it's attached to the Intercontinental, so if you happen to be staying there you could do worse.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Next up was Redfish Grill. You will be shocked to know I started with the gumbo:

IMG_0575.jpeg

And my wife with tomato bisque:

IMG_0576.jpeg

Then I had the shrimp and grits:

IMG_0577.jpeg

And my wife the Cochon de Lait & Eggs:

IMG_0578.jpeg

Everything here was very good: the gumbo was both rich in flavor and light in texture, the andouille in it excellent, and the relish on the shrimp and grits was a great accent to what can otherwise be a sort of overwhelmingly rich dish. The shrimp and grits also had "beef debris" under it, which was good but probably unnecessary, IMO.

• Like 6

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

For dinner that evening we went to Le Chat Noir, which is a bit of a departure from our previous destinations -- it's not really cajun, more "New American with some Cajun Influence" (if that's a thing...). At any rate, this was a communal dining, order-many-things sort of experience. I may have gotten distracted by eating and failed to take photos before I started in...

"Bread Royale": Bone marrow and chicken liver mousse (with toast, not pictured :)):

IMG_0581.jpeg

Roasted carrots:

IMG_0582.jpeg

Blackened summer squash:

IMG_0583.jpeg

Tomato salad:

IMG_0584.jpeg

Roast pork:

IMG_0585.jpeg

Roasted potatoes:

IMG_0586.jpeg

This meal was fantastic: we enjoyed everything, but standouts were the tomato salad, the chicken liver mousse, and the squash (which was very spicy). 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Last meal of this trip was lunch at Palace Cafe. Gumbo (shock!):

IMG_0587.jpeg

Pecan salad:

IMG_0588.jpeg

Moules Frites:

IMG_0590.jpeg

Pecan-Crusted Catfish:

IMG_0589.jpeg

All good: the gumbo was among the better I've had, and my wife reports that the pecan crust was delicious. Despite the hyper-touristy location, I think it's still worth eating here.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Thanls @Chris Hennes I am a NOLA fan. So on the gumbo sampling - do you just really like it or are you looking for your "this is tthe one" moment?  On that roast pork are those frizzled onions or some cool pork skin thing? 

5 hours ago, heidih said:

So on the gumbo sampling - do you just really like it or are you looking for your "this is tthe one" moment?

I just really like gumbo :) .

5 hours ago, heidih said:

On that roast pork are those frizzled onions or some cool pork skin thing? 

Just fried onions.

• Like 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

16 hours ago, Chris Hennes said:

I was back again this past weekend, so figured I'd keep on documenting...

Anything to do with Tales of the Cocktail?  I know that some preliminary stuff was going on this week.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 2 weeks later...