• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pomegranates

liuzhou

I have a prolific pomegranate tree just outside my patio door.  These are the many ways I've used them.

Eat fresh.  Nature's Rubik Cubes.  Hours of fun. /sarc.

Froze the pips.  They turned mushy.   They ended up as juice anyway.

Juice them.  I've bought a Turkish lever juicer made for large poms.   Upper body workout.

If too much juice, cook down to pomegranate molasses and use that for portion for seemingly years.

Make pom vinegar from juice.   Pretty good fruity vinegar, but doesn't happen overnight.  May attract fruit flies as new pets.

I bought dehydrated pips online a few years ago.  I liked those very much.  Now that I have a proper dehydrator, I will be doing this to a large portion of my harvest this year.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KennethT said:

Where is @shain

Frankly, I just much them by the handful :P

But indeed a surplace currently, and I get  try to push them into everything.

Ricotta + vanilla + sugar + pomegranates - simple healthy snack.

Great in granola, though I'm not in granola mood recently.

I made chavida (puffed rice + chickpeas, chili, peanuts, onion, spices!) and throw in some pomegranate kernels too. They go well on chaat too.

I use them in Harak osbao, and as a garnish to many Leventain, Georgian and Persian dishes.

They go well in salads. I have a bulgur salad where they are a main ingredient.

And I add them to various desserts, recently we were frequently enjoying the kind Thai / East Asian desserts where an assortment of toppings are thrown into coconut milk, on top of shaved ice, or in other flavorful liquids, and pomegranate seeds are welcomed there.

• Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

5 minutes ago, shain said:

Frankly, I just much them by the handful :P

But indeed a surplace currently, and I get  try to push them into everything.

Ricotta + vanilla + sugar + pomegranates - simple healthy snack.

Great in granola, though I'm not in granola mood recently.

I made chavida (puffed rice + chickpeas, chili, peanuts, onion, spices!) and throw in some pomegranate kernels too. They go well on chaat too.

I use them in Harak osbao, and as a garnish to many Leventain, Georgian and Persian dishes.

They go well in salads. I have a bulgur salad where they are a main ingredient.

And I add them to various desserts, recently we were frequently enjoying the kind Thai / East Asian desserts where an assortment of toppings are thrown into coconut milk, on top of shaved ice, or in other flavorful liquids, and pomegranate seeds are welcomed there.

I'm too busy chewing on them over the sink to do anything else with them,  I do very much like pomegranate molasses though I've never bothered to make it. I use a bit of it in my granola and also very much like it as an ingredient in my charoset, which uses dried fruits along with the requisite fresh apples and walnuts. Yum. Bricklayer's sandwich.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Or how about home made grenadine?

Mine always turned an unattractive brown color.  Fine for me, but I wouldn't serve to guests that way.

I just now see a recipe that uses both fresh pom juice and pom molasses for grenadine.  That sounds like something I may try and hopefully the color is more palatable.   Worth a shot.  I love my trashy Tequila Sunrises.  Tangerine juice only, cuz more classy.

16 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I  am "suffering" from a surplus of beautiful fresh pomegranates. Looking for suggestions other than just eating the things as they come.

I like them a lot in salads and use the juice to make a vinaigrette also. I also love the arils with plain yogurt or vanilla ice cream. 

I think juicing is great for keeping, but it can be a pain. I tried using a blender but the juice never came out quite as clear as I wanted. So I reverted to pressing the arils with a spoon in a sieve over a bowl. Not the best method if you have several to do! 

12 hours ago, lemniscate said:

Juice them.  I've bought a Turkish lever juicer made for large poms.   Upper body workout.

@lemniscate's juicer is probably the best type for juicing large numbers. 

19 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

I like them a lot in salads and use the juice to make a vinaigrette also. I also love the arils with plain yogurt or vanilla ice cream. 

I think juicing is great for keeping, but it can be a pain. I tried using a blender but the juice never came out quite as clear as I wanted. So I reverted to pressing the arils with a spoon in a sieve over a bowl. Not the best method if you have several to do! 

@lemniscate's juicer is probably the best type for juicing large numbers. 

I've used my Kuvings juicer.

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/161722-vertical-slow-juicers/

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou