• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rusty looking chocolate

Dark side

1 minute ago, Dark side said:

Ok, how are the chocolates made, often tool shaped, that have a rusty looking finish?

covered in cocoa powder after moulding? Something done prior to moulding? Untempered chocolate? Other ideas?

Yes - brushed with a stiff brush then fluffed with cocoa powder mixed with some orange and red oil based powder colour. I made some after I first saw them at the Salon du Chocolat in Paris the first year I showed there. I'll see if I can find my discussion about them.

• Like 1

Ok - I've been down the rabbit hole now going back over Paris - here

image.jpeg.0a7f1e636b420703112281f5161516cd.jpeg

But got sufficiently distracted that I didn't see where we discussed them - I think it might have been Belgium the next year.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Here are the ones from Belgium - another rabbit hole.

@Kerry BealI went down those rabbit holes -- enjoyed re-reading about your chocolate show trips to Paris and Belgium. It all seems so long ago that you were jet'ing about from trade show to trade show. Also, now you have reminded me of that Belgian chocolate melter, La Chocolatiere. Do you and @patris still recommend the melter? If so, I think I'll try to get one -- would be nice to have another 3 Kg melter.

30 minutes ago, curls said:

@Kerry BealI went down those rabbit holes -- enjoyed re-reading about your chocolate show trips to Paris and Belgium. It all seems so long ago that you were jet'ing about from trade show to trade show. Also, now you have reminded me of that Belgian chocolate melter, La Chocolatiere. Do you and @patris still recommend the melter? If so, I think I'll try to get one -- would be nice to have another 3 Kg melter.

I still love those melters - unfortunately Westbend doesn't seem to be bringing them in anymore - I have been unable to to get any more. I notice that Gygi's doesn't list them anymore either. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I still love those melters - unfortunately Westbend doesn't seem to be bringing them in anymore - I have been unable to to get any more. I notice that Gygi's doesn't list them anymore either. 

Yes, I checked Gygi too and didn't see them there. I did see them on the Croquade US website for $160.

2 minutes ago, curls said:

Yes, I checked Gygi too and didn't see them there. I did see them on the Croquade US website for $160.

As I recall when @patris ordered from there she didn't get it? Does say it's in stock though.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

40 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

As I recall when @patris ordered from there she didn't get it? Does say it's in stock though.

Hmmm... tried to order and got a message that there are no shipping methods available. Tried their phone number and it did not go thru. I submitted an email/query thru their "contact us" link -- we'll see if I get a reply. Perhaps they have stopped selling in the US and haven't closed out their website. If you see them on sale again, please let me know.

Edited by curls (log)

18 hours ago, curls said:

16 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Ah, memories. The whole experience trying to order from Croquade was not great, as I remember - I put in the order, they cancelled it the next day because they didn't have the product, then they hung on to my money for something like a month while I kept asking when they would refund me, until I disputed the charge with my credit card company. Great melters, bad customer service!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Patty

• 3 months later...

Well I made my attempt. And im pretty darn proud of the results actually!  Thanks for the tips!

On 5/16/2022 at 2:53 PM, Kerry Beal said:

Yes - brushed with a stiff brush then fluffed with cocoa powder mixed with some orange and red oil based powder colour. I made some after I first saw them at the Salon du Chocolat in Paris the first year I showed there. I'll see if I can find my discussion about them.

IMG_20220608_092826_935.jpg

20220606_144012.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1