• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for trusted recommendations in South Africa

Throughout my FoodGullet lifetime, life has taken me all over. For a while we lived in India, then back to the US in a few different cities, now living in Johannesburg, South Africa.

I'm looking for dining recommendations in any city, primarily Jo'burg and Durban.

Or trustworthy food-bloggers, food critics, local food guides. Having a serious craving for authentic Chinese and have been eating my way through dozens of 'close but no cigar' options. 

Does anyone have any recommendations?

• Like 2

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

@JohnT pops in occasionally. Not sure where he is now but I believe he is South African. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the greetings - it's good to be back around even if I'm not able to be too regular.

We are Americans, but are now living in Johannesburg, South Africa, we are working with a ministry based in Soweto.

• Like 1

PastaMeshugana

1 hour ago, heylow said:

@pastameshugana For authentic Chinese restaurants you can try Cyrildene - that's as close to a Chinatown as Johannesburg has. This place looks cool: Chong Qing Huo Guo Hot Pot Restaurant.  There is also PRON in Linden, especially for northern style noodle soups - https://www.pron.restaurant/ . 

Beauty, thank you! Cyrildene hadn't come across my radar yet - we've been exploring different options in Rivonia and had a few good meals there.

PastaMeshugana