• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

31 minutes ago, David Ross said:

From my collection of vintage cooking booklets, the 1958 Good Housekeeping Book of Salads.  Some unique potato salad recipes, including Potato Salad with Creamy Sauerkraut Dressing and "Madison Avenue" Potato Salad.  Not sure what ingredient elevated this potato salad to be worthy of the Madison Avenue title. 

I had to laugh. Since Madison Ave is associated with the top advertising firms (or used to be) it struck me as using the descriptor as advertising for a goofy potato salad. Were wine vinegar and olives "hoity toity" back then? If they were the ubiquitous canned Linsey black olives I'd have run >>>away

heidih

heidih

26 minutes ago, David Ross said:

From my collection of vintage cooking booklets, the 1958 Good Housekeeping Book of Salads.  Some unique potato salad recipes, including Potato Salad with Creamy Sauerkraut Dressing and "Madison Avenue" Potato Salad.  Not sure what ingredient elevated this potato salad to be worthy of the Madison Avenue title. 

I had to laugh. Since Madison Ave is associated with the top advertising firms (or used to be) it struck me as using the descriptor as advertising for a pretty mundane potato salad. Were wine vinegar and olives "hoity toity" back then?