• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can anyone help me to choose high-quality equipment for my Ice cream shop?

Gloria Sutterfield

Hello everyone,
I was working as a Software Developer for the past few years in a reputed company. A majority of the workers lost their job due to the financial crisis faced during COVID-19. I also lost my job during the first wave of the COVID-19. I tried to reach many other professional companies but most of them were not hiring new employees due to low budget. Till now I was living by selling cake that I baked myself.
I'm living with the amount that I saved. With the help of my parents, I'm planning to start a Cakeshop. In addition, planning to sell everyone's favorite Ice Cream too
I know that I would be a risk to start a business now but I've no other option to move forward. Choosing the right equipment from freezers to scoops can be very overwhelming. We cannot compromise on the quality of the equipment as it affects the business. As I'm new to the Ice Cream business I need some suggestions on choosing different equipment.
Can anyone help me to choose high-quality equipment?
Thanks!

this is really going to depend on what you’re doing, how much debt you’re planning to take on to buy the equipment / cash to purchase, whether you’re selling cartons, scoops, or soft serve, or all of the above. how much ice cream are you planning to sell per day / per week, are you going to be offering vegan or allergen-specific versions and thus separate equipment, how many types/flavours are you planning to offer. 

there are literally ten thousand ways to answer your question. i’m not trying to be rude honestly because i’d love to see you succeed, but it reads a little like “i’m opening an ice cream shop tell me everything i need to buy.” and that’s not really the way to go about this. you should discuss just what it is you’re trying to achieve and then we can talk about what you’ll need to get there. 

You're talking about making ice cream from scratch, right?  Do you have a deep love of ice cream or just want to expand the menu for summer?

I bought my commercial kitchen from a small batch ice cream maker and agree that it's not as easy as it sounds.  Spoiler alert: he's making custom cakes now.  Even if you buy a pre-made base, ice cream is kind of high maintenance.  Carpigiani and Taylor are generally regarded as the best batch freezers, I think you can get a small tabletop Taylor for around $5k, with Carpigiani the sky's the limit.

Ice cream needs to be stored super cold to prevent ice crystal growth, so look at ice cream hardening cabinets.  The one I bought from Matt is a Global, goes down to -30F, I think it was $8k new.  (I keep it at -10 and it's full of bonbons)  Then you'll need more freezers at higher temps for holding ready to eat ice cream, especially if you're scooping. 

Where are you and what % of the year is ice cream weather? 

Other things to consider:  popsicles - SOOO much easier, buy pre-packed gelato cups or novelties from someone else, granita

Good luck!

• Like 1

Taylors are great for soft-serve, but I have never seen a countertop one that seemed to be in good working order.  Also, I doubt they (the counter models) could keep up with the volume you would need for a successful ice cream shop.  I would say instead that you would want a full size unit.  Used could be a good option, but you would still need to be prepared to lay out tens of thousands of dollars (I have been away from ice cream for two decades, so am far from current.)

I have a cousin who has started his own part-time ice cream business.  We both grew up with soft-serve, and know it's advantages to in volume, but he is scooping ice cream now.  The entry is a lot easier, and if you want a variety of flavors, you don't need a new machine for each couple.

Edited by donk79
Edited for clarification (log)
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...