• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aunt Jemima Officially Has A New Name

Toliver

Uncle Ben's Rice products changed their name to just "Ben's" to combat the racism implied by the name (and product spokesman) and its history.

Another company joins in:

"Aunt Jemima Officially Has A New Name: Pearl Milling Company"

PepsiCo announced this week that it has officially changed the name of its Aunt Jemima pancake and syrup products to Pearl Milling Company.
The company said that Pearl Milling Company was founded in 1888 in St. Joseph, MO, and was the originator of the self-rising pancake mix that would later become known as the Aunt Jemima brand. Quaker Oats (now under PepsiCo) bought the brand in 1925.
The news comes a little over six months after the company announced the intention to change the name and logo of its Aunt Jemima products, saying at the time that its "origins are based on a racial stereotype." PepsiCo added in a recent statement that it had "updated its image over the years in a manner intended to remove racial stereotypes that dated back to the brand origins."

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

13 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Sounds Chinese ...

What Pearl River brand?  It is all over the media. They kept the distinctive color pattern on the packaging. I think they will be just fine. 

• Like 2

I had never heard of neither the brand nor the product before, but one day the delivery service of our supermarket in Hong Kong dropped off a wrong delivery and our domestic helper went bananas over the two bottles of syrup that it contained. Literally half of the first quart bottle was consumed before I came home. I paid for the two bottles at the store (and am sure the clerk never forwarded the money to the shop) and let our helper keep the bottles. That stuff was so incredibly popular with her and her friends - me and the little one were not as impressed ...

Edited by Duvel
Always get measurements confused (log)
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I had never heard of neither the brand nor the product before, but one day the delivery service of our supermarket in Hong Kong dropped off a wrong delivery and our domestic helper went bananas over the two bottles of syrup that it contained. Literally half of the first quart bottle was consumed before I came home. I paid for the two bottles at the store (and am sure the clerk never forwarded the money to the shop) and let our helper keep the bottles. That stuff was so incredibly popular with her and her friends - me and the little one were not as impressed ...

We need a Wow!! button for this.  I wonder what your helper would have thought about real maple syrup?  It's definitely not as sweet as the AJ stuff (which is mostly corn syrup)....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1