• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shelby

Shelby

I had a lot of fun cooking for just the two of us.  I was glad to have made the gravy early (thanks again @Kim Shook).  I prepped the green beans for the tart Wednesday (cutting and blanching) and hardboiled the eggs (more on those in a bit).  Looking back, I should have peeled the onions for the creamed onions Wednesday too.  Those little suckers took forever lol.  This post will be a little long....I want to document so I can look back next year in case I want to make our own dinner again, even if it's not exactly on TG.

Anyway, on to the food--and yes, I made a lot, but it's a pandemic and I wanted it lol.  Ronnie has already had some stuffing, a piece of green bean tart and some turkey for breakfast.

Wednesday night I set out my favorite Harbison cheese from the fridge so it would get nice and runny.  I made a little snack platter for us to graze on during the day.  Tried to watch the Macy's parade, made it for about 10 mins and then changed the channel.

thumbnail_IMG_0181.jpg.1792100354b3694405beef88f2a671cd.jpg

Our new favorite olives, Genoa salami, jalapeño jack, prosciutto, crackers, some (crappy) snack mix and one of the best apples I've ever eaten.  All on a board that my mom bought me from @Ann_T that I love.

thumbnail_IMG_0182.jpg.a9f28182ba20908ecc09de0d0213ecd1.jpg

Then the deviled eggs.  Don't look too close.   They aren't pretty.  Since the beginning of my IP adventures, I've NEVER had a problem with the following recipe for hard boiled eggs:  1 cup of water, place eggs from fridge on trivet, low pressure for 5 mins.  Wait until the thingy drops, remove eggs and put in cold water.  I started to try to peel the eggs (I used the oldest grocery store eggs that I had).  Terribly hard to peel and the yolks were still a bit jammy!  Arrrrgh.  I went ahead and made them, but they weren't my best.  So, @Kim Shookyou are not alone in the bafflement of IP eggs lol.

thumbnail_IMG_0183.jpg.c4463ba2854b07caec5883fe1e334e84.jpg

At 11 yesterday morning I brought all of the turkey in (we cut up two and brined them).  I vac packed everything but a half a breast and a quarter and got them in the freezer.  Then I vac packed the breast (salt and peppered with a couple of sage leaves) and got it in the sous vide--6 hrs. at 142.5F.  Next I seasoned the quarter and got it on the CSO pan and poked it in the fridge to rest until about 6 pm.  When that time came  I poured some turkey broth in the bottom of the pan, rested the quarter on top and roasted it in the CSO at 350F until 165F internal temp.

Backing up, I prepped for all of the other dishes and figured out the timing and which oven was going to be used for what (that was the hardest part of the day lol)

First up, the green bean, blue cheese, mushroom tart.  Ronnie never really cared for it, so I switched it up this year.  Puff pastry, blanched green beans, sautéed mushrooms, blue cheese and Vivian Howard's r rated onions (I left out the thyme, added the onions and salted and peppered a bit more). He really liked it this year!

thumbnail_IMG_0186.jpg.f77cff54beca79e92ab2306542b876ea.jpg

Corn pudding using our (blanched and frozen corn from the freezer).  

thumbnail_IMG_0187.jpg.c54850012da3f1a8d8951d14171d47a9.jpg

Creamed onions with peanuts  (this was a new recipe).  I wanted the onions to be nice and soft and I knew that the amount of time the recipe says to bake it for wouldn't make that happen (maybe if you used frozen pearl onions?  I couldn't find any).  So I threw the onions in a pot with some butter and salt and pepper and just barely caramelized them, then added a bit of water and a lid and let them get a bit soft.  I'd definitely make this again! Oh and I didn't have the breadcrumbs that I thought I had, so I used crushed up cornflakes.  Worked great.

thumbnail_IMG_0188.jpg.8a667833443afad08340fc856ffcf561.jpg

Lobster Mac and cheese (ordered from Goldbelly--sorry @weinoo and others...I couldn't scratch it off my bucket list 🤣). Oh my, creamy and rich.  I guess I'm a heathen because I inhaled it.

thumbnail_IMG_0192.jpg.6b5d0170a191987d69f929e55b44b13c.jpg

I browned the breast up in a darto with butter

thumbnail_IMG_0189.jpg.c7d3911df5367e5e5003f737dd02cd51.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0191.jpg.7091c6910bcd796fe0d66b7f09b1b6fc.jpg

This was the best turkey I've ever had.  I will never do a breast any other way.

Also heated the gravy, made the mashed potatoes and the stuffing (stove top)

My plate (with the  requisite canned cranberry)

thumbnail_IMG_0193.jpg.70bf5ae20723bcb2bd13ee5fe42deaed.jpg

And the super fun ending.....Piecaken!  (ordered from Goldbelly). yes a splurge, but I really don't like making desserts and this combined 3 in one!

thumbnail_IMG_0194.jpg.8739a85cd323e3ce9e925a1e6c490c1d.jpg

The bottom is pecan pie, middle is pumpkin pie, top is apple spice cake.

thumbnail_IMG_0195.jpg.8929377070343f1b23632af31b8c2af6.jpg

I was so full, but I still did some damage to that dessert :) 

I hope everyone had a great day.  I'm off to raid some leftovers!!!

Shelby

Shelby

I had a lot of fun cooking for just the two of us.  I was glad to have made the gravy early (thanks again @Kim Shook).  I prepped the green beans for the tart Wednesday (cutting and blanching) and hardboiled the eggs (more on those in a bit).  Looking back, I should have peeled the onions for the creamed onions Wednesday too.  Those little suckers took forever lol.  This post will be a little long....I want to document so I can look back next year in case I want to make our own dinner again, even if it's not exactly on TG.

Anyway, on to the food--and yes, I made a lot, but it's a pandemic and I wanted it lol.  Ronnie has already had some stuffing, a piece of green bean tart and some turkey for breakfast.

Wednesday night I set out my favorite Harbison cheese from the fridge so it would get nice and runny.  I made a little snack platter for us to graze on during the day.  Tried to watch the Macy's parade, made it for about 10 mins and then changed the channel.

thumbnail_IMG_0181.jpg.1792100354b3694405beef88f2a671cd.jpg

Our new favorite olives, Genoa salami, jalapeño jack, prosciutto, crackers, some (crappy) snack mix and one of the best apples I've ever eaten.  All on a board that my mom bought me from @Ann_T that I love.

thumbnail_IMG_0182.jpg.a9f28182ba20908ecc09de0d0213ecd1.jpg

Then the deviled eggs.  Don't look too close.   They aren't pretty.  Since the beginning of my IP adventures, I've NEVER had a problem with the following recipe for hard boiled eggs:  1 cup of water, place eggs from fridge on trivet, low pressure for 5 mins.  Wait until the thingy drops, remove eggs and put in cold water.  I started to try to peel the eggs (I used the oldest grocery store eggs that I had).  Terribly hard to peel and the yolks were still a bit jammy!  Arrrrgh.  I went ahead and made them, but they weren't my best.  So, @Kim Shookyou are not alone in the bafflement of IP eggs lol.

thumbnail_IMG_0183.jpg.c4463ba2854b07caec5883fe1e334e84.jpg

At 11 yesterday morning I brought all of the turkey in (we cut up two and brined them).  I vac packed everything but a half a breast and a quarter and got them in the fridge.  Then I vac packed the breast (salt and peppered with a couple of sage leaves) and got it in the sous vide--6 hrs. at 142.5F.  Next I seasoned the quarter and got it on the CSO pan and poked it in the fridge to rest until about 6 pm.  When that time came  I poured some turkey broth in the bottom of the pan, rested the quarter on top and roasted it in the CSO at 350F until 165F internal temp.

Backing up, I prepped for all of the other dishes and figured out the timing and which oven was going to be used for what (that was the hardest part of the day lol)

First up, the green bean, blue cheese, mushroom tart.  Ronnie never really cared for it, so I switched it up this year.  Puff pastry, blanched green beans, sautéed mushrooms, blue cheese and Vivian Howard's r rated onions (I left out the thyme, added the onions and salted and peppered a bit more). He really liked it this year!

thumbnail_IMG_0186.jpg.f77cff54beca79e92ab2306542b876ea.jpg

Corn pudding using our (blanched and frozen corn from the freezer).  

thumbnail_IMG_0187.jpg.c54850012da3f1a8d8951d14171d47a9.jpg

Creamed onions with peanuts  (this was a new recipe).  I wanted the onions to be nice and soft and I knew that the amount of time the recipe says to bake it for wouldn't make that happen (maybe if you used frozen pearl onions?  I couldn't find any).  So I threw the onions in a pot with some butter and salt and pepper and just barely caramelized them, then added a bit of water and a lid and let them get a bit soft.  I'd definitely make this again! Oh and I didn't have the breadcrumbs that I thought I had, so I used crushed up cornflakes.  Worked great.

thumbnail_IMG_0188.jpg.8a667833443afad08340fc856ffcf561.jpg

Lobster Mac and cheese (ordered from Goldbelly--sorry @weinoo and others...I couldn't scratch it off my bucket list 🤣). Oh my, creamy and rich.  I guess I'm a heathen because I inhaled it.

thumbnail_IMG_0192.jpg.6b5d0170a191987d69f929e55b44b13c.jpg

I browned the breast up in a darto with butter

thumbnail_IMG_0189.jpg.c7d3911df5367e5e5003f737dd02cd51.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0191.jpg.7091c6910bcd796fe0d66b7f09b1b6fc.jpg

This was the best turkey I've ever had.  I will never do a breast any other way.

Also heated the gravy, made the mashed potatoes and the stuffing (stove top)

My plate (with the  requisite canned cranberry)

thumbnail_IMG_0193.jpg.70bf5ae20723bcb2bd13ee5fe42deaed.jpg

And the super fun ending.....Piecaken!  (ordered from Goldbelly). yes a splurge, but I really don't like making desserts and this combined 3 in one!

thumbnail_IMG_0194.jpg.8739a85cd323e3ce9e925a1e6c490c1d.jpg

The bottom is pecan pie, middle is pumpkin pie, top is apple spice cake.

thumbnail_IMG_0195.jpg.8929377070343f1b23632af31b8c2af6.jpg

I was so full, but I still did some damage to that dessert :) 

I hope everyone had a great day.  I'm off to raid some leftovers!!!