• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

d_animality

Need Guide on Pan Searing Steaks

On 5/19/2020 at 3:10 AM, weinoo said:

We shared a 12 oz. steak (NY Strip from D'artagnan) for dinner Saturday night.

This is steak I'm in the middle of cooking to medium rare on a thermometer.  It's being cooked in a classic (i.e. made in the USA) All-Clad Master Chef stainless pan, over moderate heat, after heating the pan to moderate high. First side, well salted, was like 2 minutes, then flipped every 45 seconds or so. Made a pan sauce while the steak rested. Also added whatever juices the steak exuded while resting to finish the pan sauce.

1949870400_Steakcooking05-16.thumb.JPG.c57eb0bd67957a0cea78811714069eab.JPG

It has a nice (no, not perfect) crust. It was quite good, even though I failed to take a picture of it once plated!

Oh wow that looks nice and thank you for the tips, i will give this a try... preheat with medium high and start searing with medium low heat :D

Thank you very much

• Like 1

I like to use a flat, Lodge cast iron griddle on my gas grill.  I can get it screaming hot.   This is a 50 day, dry aged, prime grade rib eye from Pat LaFrieda's meats.  Presalted and left on a rack from early morning until evening (about 12 hours).   Made sure surface was dry before putting it into the skillet.  Well seasoned pan, very hot (>550 deg F) and got a nice crust.

IMG_3259.jpg

IMG_3261.jpg

IMG_3262.jpg

IMG_3263.jpg

• Like 2
  • Delicious 3