• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

dtremit

dtremit

On 7/29/2020 at 12:02 PM, KennethT said:

hot-thai-kitchen.com has a lot of info for palm sugar - in one section, she goes into a full explanation of it, and explains the differences between different brands - how some are 100% palm sugar, some are cut with regular sugar and some aren't really palm sugar at all...

I could have sworn she had a video with her visiting an artisanal palm sugar producer, but I can't find it. I might be conflating her coconut milk video and another video?

HTK has been a fantastic resource for me for Thai cooking, though -- I can't recommend the channel enough. I have had tons of Thai cookbooks for years but it really took me being able to see the techniques (the curry paste is fried enough when it looks like this) to actually produce food I am happy with. 

I also like her segments on various home style Thai dishes and things that don't often make it out of Thailand.

ETA, re @weinoo's haul -- we developed a love for Thai-style sriracha when visiting there a few years ago — and have found that we like Sriraja Panich better than any other brand, by a long, long shot. It has replaced Huy Fong entirely in our house (though I still keep their chili garlic and sambal around). Shark is very good in its own right, but isn't quite as craveable.

dtremit

dtremit

23 hours ago, KennethT said:

hot-thai-kitchen.com has a lot of info for palm sugar - in one section, she goes into a full explanation of it, and explains the differences between different brands - how some are 100% palm sugar, some are cut with regular sugar and some aren't really palm sugar at all...

I could have sworn she had a video with her visiting an artisanal palm sugar producer, but I can't find it. I might be conflating her coconut milk video and another video?

HTK has been a fantastic resource for me for Thai cooking, though -- I can't recommend the channel enough. I have had tons of Thai cookbooks for years but it really took me being able to see the techniques (the curry paste is fried enough when it looks like this) to actually produce food I am happy with. 

I also like her segments on various home style Thai dishes and things that don't often make it out of Thailand.