• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Added quote at the beginning, and dishwasher comment at the end

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

The green tops separated and washed well, as are the bottom halves. Both are blanched; this time I blanched the bottom half for pickling for about a minute, and the greens 30 seconds...I don't know if you need to blanch for pickling, but whatever; for the butter, I think it's a good idea.

I wrung out the greens really well, and chopped coarsely and into the food processor with 1/2 lb. of softened, unsalted butter, the grated peel of a lemon and some coarse salt.  Whizzed it up - for longer storage, some like to roll into logs and freeze - they slices can be taken off as needed.

The bottom half went into jar and is covered with a pretty classic pickling recipe like this one: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/pickled-ramps

They're going in the fridge and will be used over the next couple of, well, however long they last. They're good in Gibsons.

Thanks, @weinoo. Interesting about the blanching step. I considered it, but didn't do it. As it happens, I had spare time for projects before I saw your response, so my methodology was a little different. I'm still looking forward to the results! From left to right: Ramp / chive oil, buzzed up with a bit of salt; ramp butter (wish I'd thought of lemon!); pickled ramps using methodology from last week's episode of The Splendid Table; and then what was left of my usual lemon vinaigrette, with the ramp/chive oil that wouldn't fit into the jar at the left. I just had a salad using the dressing. Yum.

20200526_143531.jpg

Until May 1 I was away from home and using a small kitchen in our trailer. It is a lovely, delightful luxury to be able to spread projects out and really play in the kitchen! And then...throw most of the dishes into a dishwasher!

Smithy

Smithy

Added quote at the beginning

32 minutes ago, weinoo said:

The green tops separated and washed well, as are the bottom halves. Both are blanched; this time I blanched the bottom half for pickling for about a minute, and the greens 30 seconds...I don't know if you need to blanch for pickling, but whatever; for the butter, I think it's a good idea.

I wrung out the greens really well, and chopped coarsely and into the food processor with 1/2 lb. of softened, unsalted butter, the grated peel of a lemon and some coarse salt.  Whizzed it up - for longer storage, some like to roll into logs and freeze - they slices can be taken off as needed.

The bottom half went into jar and is covered with a pretty classic pickling recipe like this one: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/pickled-ramps

They're going in the fridge and will be used over the next couple of, well, however long they last. They're good in Gibsons.

Thanks, @weinoo. Interesting about the blanching step. I considered it, but didn't do it. As it happens, I had spare time for projects before I saw your response, so my methodology was a little different. I'm still looking forward to the results! From left to right: Ramp / chive oil, buzzed up with a bit of salt; ramp butter (wish I'd thought of lemon!); pickled ramps using methodology from last week's episode of The Splendid Table; and then what was left of my usual lemon vinaigrette, with the ramp/chive oil that wouldn't fit into the jar at the left. I just had a salad using the dressing. Yum.

20200526_143531.jpg

Until May 1 I was away from home and using a small kitchen in our trailer. It is a lovely, delightful luxury to be able to spread projects out and really play in the kitchen!

Smithy

Smithy

Added quote at the beginning

31 minutes ago, weinoo said:

20200526_143531.jpg

Until May 1 I was away from home and using a small kitchen in our trailer. It is a lovely, delightful luxury to be able to spread projects out and really play in the kitchen!

Smithy

Smithy

20200526_143531.jpg