• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

KennethT

KennethT

I don't have data to back this up, but from what I see, I think prepared food delivery would be as safe or safer than eating in an empty restaurant.  The same kitchen workers are preparing the food - who, supposedly, have been trained in food safety.  But rather than the food being put on an uncovered plate and delivered to your table by a server, it is put into a covered container and put into a bag which is brought by the delivery person.  In NYC, they are recommending contact-less delivery, meaning that the delivery person leaves the food at your door and leaves before you open the door.  Once you bring the bag into the house, you can handle it in a way that any germs on the outside of the bag don't contact any surfaces in your home and dispose of the bag.  The containers as well as the contents within should be clean - or as clean (or cleaner since you have one less person breathing on it) as teh food would have been if dining in the restaurant itself.

But in any case, there are always risks to eating food you haven't prepared yourself.  Everyone needs to take the precautions they need in order to feel safe.  Personally, I'm avoiding eating any prepared food that is uncooked at this time.  While the kitchen staff is supposed to wear gloves while handling food that won't be cooked, that doesn't always happen in a busy restaurant, and unless you watch them don a brand new pair of gloves just prior to prepping your order, you have no idea if those gloves have been contaminated by a cough, etc.

KennethT

KennethT

I don't have data to back this up, but from what I see, I think prepared food delivery would be as safe or safer than eating in an empty restaurant.  The same kitchen workers are preparing the food - which, supposedly, have been trained in food safety.  But rather than the food being put on an uncovered plate and delivered to your table by a server, it is put into a covered container and put into a bag which is brought by the delivery person.  In NYC, they are recommending contact-less delivery, meaning that the delivery person leaves the food at your door and leaves before you open the door.  Once you bring the bag into the house, you can handle it in a way that any germs on the outside of the bag don't contact any surfaces in your home and dispose of the bag.  The containers as well as the contents within should be clean - or as clean (or cleaner since you have one less person breathing on it) as teh food would have been if dining in the restaurant itself.

But in any case, there are always risks to eating food you haven't prepared yourself.  Everyone needs to take the precautions they need in order to feel safe.  Personally, I'm avoiding eating any prepared food that is uncooked at this time.  While the kitchen staff is supposed to wear gloves while handling food that won't be cooked, that doesn't always happen in a busy restaurant, and unless you watch them don a brand new pair of gloves just prior to prepping your order, you have no idea if those gloves have been contaminated by a cough, etc.