• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pressure Cooker -Aldi

Bernie

Probably should go in Kitchen Consumer but I think it fits better here and likely to draw more discussion (if any)

In Australia Aldi have "special" buys of just about every thing from tools,camping stuff,clothes and cooking equipment. Not sure if its the same elsewhere.

So years ago I brought a "Kuchef" pressure cooker combination. It has a removal non stick bowl, timer, high & low pressure setting, a slow cooker all subject to the timer, a browner setting not timed, and a "keep warm" which comes on automatically after a slow or pressure cycle.

Used this lots of times. Recently start to think about the "keep warm" setting. Decided I should know what its temperature was and its 70C.

Not sure what the slow temp is but the food boils a little off & on so suspect it is probably 100C but turns off at 100C and on again at 95C or so.

But its the Keep Warm bit I thought I would try out. I do a pork fillet (very lean) in BBQ sauce (Sweet Baby Rays or fountain with added hot chilli sauce) and bake covered for 3 or 4 hours at about 100C. Tender and moist.

Well did it at "keep Warm" after a quick brown using the brown setting before I added the sauce. Success. Even better than the oven because just before serving put it on slow cooker setting  with the lid off to thicken the sauce.

I will need to try it in the sous vide with a variations in time and temperature, but the thickening of the sauce means I would have to transfer to the stove.

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)