• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook

Got more political than I intended, not what I'm here for.

Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook

21 minutes ago, Steve R. said:

I don't think its too much to ask of me to spend a little time self examining what I say or do and editing out what I can. 

I have no problem with that whatsoever. What I have a problem with is other people telling me I have to do that editing based on their criteria and my criteria is irrelevant. I don't feel obligated to feel guilty over everything anybody anywhere may potentially feel offended over. It's just an impossible task, somebody somewhere will by offended by everything. And before I'm accused of extrapolating that to the extreme, take a good look around and then tell me I'm incorrect. We've created a situation where every person wants to feel special and supported over everything they don't like or feel offended over. 

8 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

(the first one's free, then you're hooked). I should be more careful about that because I  do aspire to be a better person and use my powers for good.  YMMV.

If that fits within your boundaries of insensitive and wrong in the context you're using it in, my mileage most definitely varies. I'm not saying you're silly for feeling that way about it, of course you should do what you feel is right, but I would think it a bit silly to expect everybody to feel that way about it. I don't even want to imagine we've reached a point where people really see no difference between a person saying that while handing out chocolate samples and a person saying that while handing out meth samples near a schoolyard.