• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SnewtonBR

Question about spider web effect on mirror glaze

I've been doing mirror glazed cakes for a while, and finally decided to try a spider web effect.   It "kind of worked", but of course it could have been a little better. I include a photo, it is a lemon-blueberry entremet cake. 

I would like to know a little more about the chemistry behind the effect - I know it is mainly due to a contrast of temperature between the freshly poured mirror glaze (at around 98F but sitting on a frozen surface, so it immediately cools down a lot) - and the hot (perhaps 125F) neutral glaze with the contrasting color.   My question is - apart from the temperature, is there a difference in density that is needed?  anybody knows how the neutral glaze compares to most mirror glaze formulas in terms of density?    I know I could try and calculate it, but I am using a store-bought neutral glaze and the precise composition is not available.   

can a spider web effect be produced with mirror glaze at low temp and a similar composition of glaze at higher temperature?  Probably it would not "smear" as nicely, though...  

I am rambling... but honestly, I've searched for more explanations on this everywhere... no luck

Lemon Entremet 3.jpg

That effect is based on the non-miscibility of water and fat. If you add water to fat (just adding, without emulsifying) then they will remain separated. Mirror glazes are fat based (dairy fats in milk and cream, cocoa butter...) while neutral glaze is water based. You use the neutral glaze at a higher temperature just to retard the gelification (of the gelatin proteins) and crystallization (of the cocoa butter) in the mirror glaze.

If you try pouring a mirror glaze over another mirror glaze (different colors) then you'll just get a shaded effect, not a spider web effect.

Here is an old thread about this:

If you add the word "Sattler" to your google searches then you'll get plenty of results (both pages explaining how it works and videos). Gérard Sattler is the French pastry chef who invented this technique.

Teo

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

awesome!  absolutely all I needed to know -  I am a biochemist (I know, should have figured it out), but I did not notice that neutral glaze is in fact water based.  DUH!  ;-)

thanks a million (or should I say grazzie mille?)    ;-)

Edited by SnewtonBR (log)
  • Like 3

• Similar Content

• By curls
      So, what is everyone doing for the pastry & baking side of Easter?

I'm working on the following chocolates: fruit & nut eggs, hollow bunnies, Jelly Belly filled bunnies, coconut bunnies, dragons (filled with rice krispies & chocolate), peanut butter hedgehogs, and malted milk hens. Hoping to finish my dark chocolate production today and get started on all my milk chocolate items.

My father-in-law will be baking the traditional family Easter bread a day or two before Easter. Its an enriched bread and he makes two versions -- one with raisins and one without (I prefer the one with raisins).

And I was lucky enough to spot this couple in the sale moulds stock at last year's eGullet chocolate & confections workshop in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario. These love bunnies help so very much with Easter chocolate production!  ;-)

• By MichaelB23
      Hi everyone!! As stated at my personal info, I am a single father who would love to make cakes for my kids without using an oven because we do not have an oven. I could use some help about this kind of cake. If you have any hidden recipes or info that I could use, it is much appreciated. Again, thank you for accepting me in this great site. Hope to hear to people who would like to help me out.
    • By Lisa Shock
      I developed this recipe for a friend who wound up with many cans of Solo brand apricot filling and was wondering what to make with them. I adapted this recipe from Rose Levy Beranbaum's Sour Cream Coffee Cake, found on page 90 of the Cake Bible. The apricot filling works it way down through the cake and winds up near the bottom of the pan, making an attractive top later when the cake is inverted. Please use some sort of ring pan that holds at least 9 cups. You may substitute butter for the toasted almond oil, but remember that the oil adds flavor. I specifically developed this recipe with the home cook in mind, regular salted butter, and AP flour work well here. To reduce the sodium, use unsalted butter.  

Ingredients
      113 grams (1 stick) salted butter
      26 grams toasted almond oil
      200 grams sugar
      6 grams vanilla extract
      4 egg yolks
      160 grams regular sour cream (do not use low fat or fat free)
      50 grams almond meal
      175 grams all-purpose flour
      2 1/2 grams baking powder
      2 1/2 grams baking soda
      12 ounces (1 can) Solo Apricot Filling

12 Servings
      Preheat the oven to 350°
      Spray a 9+ cup tube or Bundt pan with non-stick spray or grease with an oil & soy lecithin blend.

Lightly toast the almond meal in a frying pan on the stove top until it has a light beige color and has a mild fragrance. Allow to cool.

Cream together the butter, oil, and sugar. Add the vanilla and egg yolks, mix until the mixture is even and creamy. Add the sour cream and mix well. Add the cooled almond flour and mix well.

Sift together the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add the dry ingredients to the liquid mixture and mix until it everything is evenly incorporated. Do not overmix the batter.

Place 2/3 of the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Place the apricot filling in an even layer on top, keeping a small space between the filling and the pan's edges. Place the remaining batter on top and smooth to create a relatively even surface.

Bake for approximately 50 minutes at 350° or until the top is dark brown and springs back to a light touch.

Allow to cool for 15 minutes. Invert the pan onto a serving plate. Cool and serve. Be cautious about serving this hot, as the apricot filling can cause serious burns. When fully cooled, cover or wrap in plastic wrap to store. Will keep for several days in a cool, dry place.

Nutrition (thanks MasterCook!) 
      324 calories, 15g fat, (7g sat fat, 6g mono-unsat fat, 1g ploy-unsat fat), 5g protein, 43g carbohydrates, 175mg sodium, 101mg potassium,  58g calcium
      42% calories from fat, 52% calories from carbohydrates, 6% calories from protein
    • By Deliciously Iced
      Good Morning everyone. Does anyone have a tried and true Marble Cake recipe to share?

Thank You so much
    • By pastrygirl
      Something I wonder about but have yet to attempt ...

i usually make Swiss or Italian meringue buttercream with egg whites. Occasionally I make egg yolk buttercream if I have excess yolks. 

Is there any reason why one couldn’t make whole egg buttercream?  Whole eggs whip up plenty fluffy for genoise, what if you added hot syrup and cool butter? 🤔