• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fish & chips in Kearny

LiquidBread

I was driving through Kearny today and decided to stop and eat at Thistle Fish & Chips on Kearny Ave. Nice place, good large portion of deep fried cod, ok chips. The place was totally empty though (1pm Weds). After I left I passed another F&C place called Argyle Fish & Chips and wondered if that place might be better. Anyone ever go to any of these places and do you have any recommendations?

Went to the Argyle bunch of months back and found it.

1. Very expensive for what they serve.

2. VERY GREASY!

We all felt sick after eating there.. never ever again. I would not recommend this place.

I had some meat pie type things deep friend and others had some seafood dishes.

Although I live in Kearny, I have never been to Thistle (or Argyle for that matter), but I hear it's pretty good. How was the cod? The one good example of fish and chips I've had (and I haven't really had many) was at The Grasshopper in Lincoln Park off Rt. 23 S. It's a nice Irish pub/restaurant where anything fried is a good bet.