• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Sequel Asimov Never Imagined: "I, Burger Flipper"

chromedome

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I'd like to see a video of that machine in action. The burgers sound good, and the air quality / worker health aspect is impressive.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Here is a video: https://www.cnn.com/videos/cnnmoney/2018/03/06/flippy-burger-grilling-robot-fast-food-orig.cnn

I'm frankly not very impressed. There is too much human interaction woven around the automated functions. I have to think a little creativity with the technology for conveyor broilers (think Quiznos) and automated pick-and-place (the way printed circuit boards are assembled for solder flowing). I don't see any reason why a human couldn't load raw materials into the machine and take completely finished burgers off the other end for plating or wrapping. The $60-100k price point would be hard to match but I think $150k might be achievable with small volumes.

Edited by Auspicious
bad link (log)

sail fast and eat well, dave

Dave Skolnick S/V Auspicious

http://AuspiciousWorks.com

4 hours ago, Auspicious said:

Here is a video: https://www.cnn.com/videos/cnnmoney/2018/03/06/flippy-burger-grilling-robot-fast-food-orig.cnn

I'm frankly not very impressed. There is too much human interaction woven around the automated functions. I have to think a little creativity with the technology for conveyor broilers (think Quiznos) and automated pick-and-place (the way printed circuit boards are assembled for solder flowing). I don't see any reason why a human couldn't load raw materials into the machine and take completely finished burgers off the other end for plating or wrapping. The $60-100k price point would be hard to match but I think $150k might be achievable with small volumes.

I agree that the burger-flipping robot in this video leaves a lot to be desired except as an exercise in robotics, but this isn't the same machine. Flippy, the machine in the video link above, is at Caliburger, a restaurant in Pasadena (near Los Angeles). The machine in the first post is at Creator, a restaurant in a San Francisco neighborhood. The Creator article claims that the humans load all the supplies into the machine and the finished product comes out the end, in their containers, all done in a transparent enclosure so folks can watch. It sounds much closer to your vision of a proper burger-assembling machine.

No doubt someone will post a YouTube video about Creator before long.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Thanks @Smithy. You helped me find the subject. https://techcrunch.com/video/a-robot-cooks-burgers-at-startup-restaurant-creator/ . This one I'm much more impressed by. They solved the structural stability problem with their take on the old McDonalds McDLT container although that still leaves it to the customer to do final assembly. It's much like what I proposed which is indication that engineering is engineering. It's the fresh idea that is important, not the implementation. Any old engineer can turn the crank to make something once the idea is in place.

The next step (which may be in hand) is to accommodate requests: "whole wheat bun, no mustard, extra mayo." Most of that is just controls with a little bit more robotics.

WARNING warped sense of humor

Next step is automated soylent green.

*grin*

• Like 1

sail fast and eat well, dave

Dave Skolnick S/V Auspicious

http://AuspiciousWorks.com