• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pistachio Mousse

Rajala

I've been asking about pistachios in another thread, but I thought that maybe that one should be reserved for what the discussion is actually about and not what to do with the pistachios. :)

I intend to make a pistachio mousse, and I have a recipe from Praliné by Stéphane Leroux, however, in this recipe you might use 150 grams of pistachio praliné but there's also the same mount of almond praliné added to the mousse. I would love to be able to ask Stéphane why, but I don't think I can do that. Would anyone here have any idea why almod praliné is also added? The reason why I ask is that I want to have a really nice greenish mousse and that it should taste very much pistachio, not sure how it'll end up if it's that much almond praliné int it as well?

Maybe someone also have a recipe for an amazing pistachio mousse? If found at least two while searching for older discussions, but not sure if they're fit for a mousse intended for entremet/petit gateau use?

Thanks!

Maybe they were going for that familiar (to some) taste of the Jello Pistachio Pudding which tastes much more like almond pudding. :D Seriously though, I don't really know unless it's because almond paste is infinitely less expensive than pistachio paste so they figured out how to stretch it a bit in a way that they can live with in the result.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Yeah, I thought about that. Price. The pistachios were 45 EUR per kilo. I can source almonds at less than 8 EUR per kilo.  It's not a matter for me as it's just a hobby. Maybe I should just give it a go with the praliné I made that looks greenish/brown and dull, and replace the amount of almond praliné in the recipe with the pistachio praliné. You never know if you don't try, I guess? :) 

8 hours ago, Rajala said:

Yeah, I thought about that. Price. The pistachios were 45 EUR per kilo. I can source almonds at less than 8 EUR per kilo.  It's not a matter for me as it's just a hobby. Maybe I should just give it a go with the praliné I made that looks greenish/brown and dull, and replace the amount of almond praliné in the recipe with the pistachio praliné. You never know if you don't try, I guess? :) 

That's exactly what I would do if I wanted it to be pistachio mousse and wasn't concerned with the cost of the pistachio paste. 

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 2 weeks later...

I asked the guy who's the pistachio farm owner (or something like that), who said that some like to mix with almond because of cost savings. So I guess that's it.