• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Water Activity/Shelf LIfe

Sweet Impact Mama

1 hour ago, Rajala said:

I've been experimenting for some time with a "brownie" bonbon filling (the only trace of chocolate is in form of cocoa powder), that contains flour. Is there anyone with experience in terms of using flour in fillings and what to think about in terms of food safety? Is it considered safe as long as you keep an eye on everything as usual? I mean, there are baked goods that lasts for month, although with a lot of preservatives in them.

The AW of the filling is 0.6229 - so on its own, it's pretty low.

The brownie idea sounds interesting.  I don't think there should be an issue with using flour.  If there is one, there are certainly a lot of chocolatiers using some form of cookies in their bonbons who would be in trouble.   In fact, there is one of them located just down the street from you (more or less), Kalle Jungstedt, who uses cookie layers a lot.  Of his tiramisù's savoiardi layer, he writes:  "the cookie base is water free with months of shelf life."

27 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

The brownie idea sounds interesting.  I don't think there should be an issue with using flour.  If there is one, there are certainly a lot of chocolatiers using some form of cookies in their bonbons who would be in trouble.   In fact, there is one of them located just down the street from you (more or less), Kalle Jungstedt, who uses cookie layers a lot.  Of his tiramisù's savoiardi layer, he writes:  "the cookie base is water free with months of shelf life."

Yeah, I hear you. I've made those pipeable crunch layer for years, but they're basically moisture free. This filling is sugars, water, and fat in one. But maybe I'm just overthinking things here. :D

3 hours ago, Rajala said:

I've been experimenting for some time with a "brownie" bonbon filling (the only trace of chocolate is in form of cocoa powder), that contains flour. Is there anyone with experience in terms of using flour in fillings and what to think about in terms of food safety? Is it considered safe as long as you keep an eye on everything as usual? I mean, there are baked goods that lasts for month, although with a lot of preservatives in them.

Isn't below 0.65 'microbially stable' i.e. nothing grows?  I wouldn't worry, especially if the flour has been cooked.

2 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

I wouldn't worry, especially if the flour has been cooked.

It's only heated a bit. But in the next test run, I'm going to roast the flour - thinking it will give off a better flavor.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Rajala said:

It's only heated a bit. But in the next test run, I'm going to roast the flour - thinking it will give off a better flavor.

I was going to say that if you are using raw flour, there is the issue of taste.  I assume the filling is sticking together with butter or something similar?  There might be the issue of having a filling that is too dry, taste-wise, and there is the consideration that ganaches dry out as they sit.  But if this turns out as well as your cinnamon bun recipe (which I use frequently), then I will have to beg for the recipe.

5 hours ago, Rajala said:

Should last for a lot of months at that value. 

11 hours ago, Jim D. said:

I was going to say that if you are using raw flour, there is the issue of taste.  I assume the filling is sticking together with butter or something similar?  There might be the issue of having a filling that is too dry, taste-wise, and there is the consideration that ganaches dry out as they sit.  But if this turns out as well as your cinnamon bun recipe (which I use frequently), then I will have to beg for the recipe.

Hehe, I've started to share all my recipes. What's the use if they're just in my notes forever? :D

10 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Should last for a lot of months at that value. 

Yeah. I read something about flour and microorganisms. But it was out of context in terms of bonbons. So maybe it was just the regular "you need to think about x and y when it comes to shelf life".