• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

HungryChris

HungryChris

2 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

My son also loved cafeteria Salisbury steak and I give it a try once in a while. Have not yet quite nailed it either. 

I am pretty well convinced  that French onion soup and Worcestershire sauce are big contributors to the flavor, but am becoming increasingly convinced that languishing for an hour or more in a hotel pan in the steam table plays a big roll in imparting that illusive flavor and tenderness to the finished product. I think I will move my efforts from a covered fry pan to the slow cooker and see how that works.

HC

HungryChris

HungryChris

My son also loved cafeteria Salisbury steak and I give it a try once in a while. Have not yet quite nailed it either. 

I know for certain, that French onion soup and Worcestershire sauce are big contributors to the flavor, but am becoming increasingly convinced that languishing for an hour or more in a hotel pan in the steam table imparts that illusive flavor and tenderness to the finished product. I think I will move my efforts from a covered fry pan to the slow cooker and see how that works.

HC

HungryChris

HungryChris

I know for certain, that French onion soup and Worcestershire sauce are big contributors to the flavor, but am becoming increasingly convinced that languishing for an hour or more are in a hotel pan in the steam table imparts that illusive flavor and tenderness to the finished product. I think I will move my efforts from a covered fry pan to the slow cooker and see how that works.

HC