• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Duvel

Duvel

12 hours ago, TicTac said:

- Noticed in some of your posts recently that you appear to take alternative routes to gluten..

It’s not that I am actively trying to avoid gluten, merely a side effect of my low carb approach to dieting and the general avoidance of flour (at the moment). I spend some time trying to find a “neutral” (e.g. not eggy, porky, “green”, coconutty ...) tasting flatbread substitute. What I use now works decently for pizzas, tacos, quesadillas etc ... It does not taste like bread, but makes a good delivery system for any toppings you have. And packs a lot of fiber plus some nutrients.

1 egg

50 g cream cheese (“Philadelphia”)

Pinch of salt

~350 g of preprocessed* cauliflower (original, a bit better to process) or cabbage (Duvel’s low cost shortcut)

Blend egg and cream, add salt, add everything to preprocessed vegetable and mix thoroughly. At this point you can add dried herbs, or spices. Let stand for 10 min. Spread thinly (5 mm) onto a baking paper. Please look at my other posts for a more visual guide. 

Slide into a preheated oven at 200 oC and bake for 25 min. Take out, flip and bake for 10 min more. At this point it will have a leathery texture when cooled down (it’s still a bit brittle when warm) and can be used for tacos. Or top with tomato sauce, whatever you like and cheese and put back into the oven. I turn the convention on and give it some 5-10 min more until it looks decent.

Please note that it needs to cool down a bit to achieve a good textural quality. The longer you bake the “naked” dough, the more integrity it has, and drier it gets (for pizza this is desirable).

*preprocessed vegetable: grate the cauliflower or cabbage (I use the food processor and get thin, 1 cm long shreds). Put into microwave and heat at high for about 7 min. You want that smell and taste are more or less “neutral”. Let cool down slightly, put into a clean tower and press out the formed water - which is a lot. Typical yields are: 650 g of raw cauliflower or 800 g of raw cabbage give ~350 g of preprocessed vegetable to be used in the recipe above. 

Duvel

Duvel

- Noticed in some of your posts recently that you appear to take alternative routes to gluten..

It’s not that I am actively trying to avoid gluten, merely a side effect of my low carb approach to dieting and the general avoidance of flour (at the moment). I spend some time trying to find a “neutral” (e.g. not eggy, porky, “green”, coconutty ...) tasting flatbread substitute. What I use now works decently for pizzas, tacos, quesadillas etc ... It does not taste like bread, but makes a good delivery system for any toppings you have. And packs a lot of fiber plus some nutrients.

1 egg

Pinch of salt

~350 g of preprocessed* cauliflower (original, a bit better to process) or cabbage (Duvel’s low cost shortcut)

Blend egg and cream, add salt, add everything to preprocessed vegetable and mix thoroughly. At this point you can add dried herbs, or spices. Let stand for 10 min. Spread thinly (5 mm) onto a baking paper. Please look at my other posts for a more visual guide. 

Slide into a preheated oven at 200 oC and bake for 25 min. Take out, flip and bake for 10 min more. At this point it will have a leathery texture when cooled down (it’s still a bit brittle when warm) and can be used for tacos. Or top with tomato sauce, whatever you like and cheese and put back into the oven. I turn the convention on and give it some 5-10 min more until it looks decent.

Please note that it needs to cool down a bit to achieve a good textural quality. The longer you bake the “naked” dough, the more integrity it has, and drier it gets (for pizza this is desirable).

*preprocessed vegetable: grate the cauliflower or cabbage (I use the food processor and get thin, 1 cm long shreds). Put into microwave and heat at high for about 7 min. You want that smell and taste is more or less “neutral”. Let cool down slightly, put into a clean tower and press out the formed water - which is a lot. Typical yields are: 650 g of raw cauliflower or 800 g of raw cabbage give ~350 g of preprocessed vegetable to be used in the recipe above. 

Duvel

Duvel

1 egg

Pinch of salt

Slide into a preheated oven at 200 oC and bake for 25 min. Take out flip and bake for 10 min more. At this point it will have a leathery texture when cooled down (it’s still a bit brittle when warm) and can be used for tacos. Or top with tomato sauce, whatever you like and cheese and put back into the oven. I turn the convention on and give it some 5-10 min more until it looks decent.

*preprocessed vegetable: grate the cauliflower or cabbage (I use the food processor and get thin, 1 cm long shreds). Put into microwave and heat at high for about 7 min. You want that smell and taste is more or less “neutral”. Let cool down slightly, put into a clean tower and press out the formed water - which is a lot. Typical yields are: 650 g of raw cauliflower or 800 g of raw cabbage give ~350 g of preprocessed vegetable to be used in the recipe above. 

Duvel

Duvel

1 egg

Pinch of salt

Blend egg and cream, add salt, add everything to preprocessed vegetable and mix thoroughly. Let stand for 10 min. Spread thinly (5 mm) onto a baking paper. Please look at my other posts for a more visual guide. 

Slide into a preheated oven at 200 oC and bake for 25 min. Take out flip and bake for 10 min more. At this point it will have a leathery texture when cooled down (it’s still a bit brittle when warm) and can be used for tacos. Or top with tomato sauce, whatever you like and cheese and put back into the oven. I turn the convention on and give it some 5-10 min more until it looks decent.

Duvel

Duvel

10 hours ago, TicTac said:

1 egg

Pinch of salt

~350 g of preprocessed* cauliflower (original, a bit better to process)or cabbage (Duvel’s Löw cost shortcut)

Blend egg and cream, add salt, add everything to preprocessed vegetable and mix thoroughly. Let stand for 10 min. Spread thinly (5 mm) onto a baking paper. Please look at my other posts for a more visual guide.