• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

addition

31 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

As a substitute look for instant dashi powder in a jar or packet.  Something like this.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I'm afraid that trying to find something like that down here is just the impossible dream. I would ask my grandson to bring it down when it comes next month but he's informed me that I've reached my limit of available space. He makes quick trips down here quite often and only brings a carry on. However, I have saved the page and I will put it down for a future trip

In the meantime, I have found a recipe for a mushroom Dashi and I think I'll give that a try. I'm not even sure if it can properly be called Dashi without the Bonito flakes.

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

addition

28 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

As a substitute look for instant dashi powder in a jar or packet.  Something like this.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I'm afraid trying to find something like that down here is just the impossible dream. I would ask my grandson to bring it down when it comes next month but he's informed me that I've reached my limit of available space. He makes quick trips down here quite often and only brings a carry on. However, I have saved the page and I will put it down for a future trip

In the meantime, I have found a recipe for a mushroom Dashi and I think I'll give that a try. I'm not even sure if it can properly be called Dashi without the Bonito flakes.

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

22 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thank you for the suggestion, but I'm afraid trying to find something like that down here is just the impossible dream. I would ask my grandson to bring it down when it comes next month but he's informed me that I've reached my limit of available space. He makes quick trips down here quite often and only brings a carry on. However, I have saved the page and I will put it down for a future trip