• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sources for candied / glaced fruit

curls

I'm hoping that this is the year that I finally make some fruitcake! Kerry's "Phil's White Fruitcake" and Mette's "Dark English fruitcake" are the most likely recipes. For those of you who purchase candied / glaced fruit, who are your suppliers? I am interested in candied citron, angelica, pineapple, cherries, orange peel, and lemon peel. Also, feel free to recommend your favorite fruitcake recipes.

I'm sure that @andiesenji has wonderful suggestions for suppliers and recipes -- tried searching for her posts on the subject but I was not successful. Hoping to draw Andie into this topic too!

31 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I get mine at the Punjab market - but that probably isn't any help to you!

Well if I don’t get a good source now, I could visit the Punjb market in May and be set for 2018.  :D

The Punjab market is in Ontario... right?

3 minutes ago, curls said:

Well if I don’t get a good source now, I could visit the Punjb market in May and be set for 2018.  :D

The Punjab market is in Ontario... right?

Indeed it is - probably about 20 miles from the college. I'm sure you find much more impressive stuff with Andie's help.

• Like 1

I have bought the Agrimontana  "fruit salad" and the citron from L'Epicerie  - both are  superior to others - Agrimontana products not available to consumers in these small amounts except from this vendor.  Other vendors only sell in the 2.5 kilo amounts. 

I baked panettone using the fruit salad and it was excellent.  I just placed an order for more.

And the most of the dried fruits and nuts I am using this year from Bella Viva Orchards    I just used some of the dried skinless apples in little hand pies - sort of like empanadas.  

I bought 5 different kinds of dried apricots.

The only other fruits I am using are the Roland Amarena cherries, dried in syrup from Amazon.  They are FANTASTIC.  

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Thank you dhardy123, a very interesting website and selection!

Andie, thank you for the list of suppliers. I had found the Agrimontana "fruit salad" but am glad to know that you have used it and like it. The Roland Amarena cherries that you mention sound wonderful, I'm definitely going to order some!

So, anybody know of a good source for candied pineapple?

Curls, I thought I had mentioned it earlier - I know I did in another thread.

I buy the dried pineapple from bella viva  -  Put it in a steamer and steam it until it becomes more like glacé pineapple and allow it to dry just enough so it is still a bit tacky.

Then I cut it up and use it like candied pineapple.   Pineapple - and a few other fruits - have enough sugar content that they can be treated this way and are almost like the glacé fruits  WITHOUT being cooked in syrup.  They have, in my opinion, more flavor this way.  I've done peaches, apricots, nectarines, pluots and figs, using this same method.

The flavor is excellent.

Years ago, I used to dry my own pineapple and do this exact method.  

Here are the before and after photos  of steaming dried pineapple - I find that 12 to 15 minutes is usually sufficient until it is really dry (after I have stored it for months).

5a2181efeabcd_ScreenShot2017-12-01at8_21_50AM.thumb.png.a5cf8ba76019c22473b5812c578a485e.png

5a2181d2ecfec_ScreenShot2017-12-01at8_21_36AM.thumb.png.fa577c65bf98bfe0fbe39a8385fdddc8.png

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 4

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett