• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A sandwich needn’t be boring

Today I would like to share with you a recipe for a slightly different sandwich. Instead of traditional vegetables, I recommend strawberry salsa, and rather than a slice of ham – a golden grilled slice of Halloumi cheese. Only one thing is missing – a fresh and fragrant bread roll.

Halloumi is a Cypriot cheese made with sheep's milk or a mixture of sheep's, goat's and cow's milk. It is semihard and so flexible that it is excellent for frying and barbecuing, and it is great fresh too.

Ingredients (for two people)
2 fresh rolls of your choice
2 big lettuce leaves
4 slices of Halloumi cheese
2 teaspoons of butter
salsa:
8 strawberries
half a chili pepper
2 tablespoons of minced peppermint leaves
¼ a red onion
2 tablespoons of chopped almond without the skin
1 teaspoon of honey
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
2 tablespoons of balsamic sauce

Start by preparing the salsa. Wash the strawberries, remove the shanks and cube them. Dice the onion and chili pepper. Mix the strawberries with the onion, chili pepper, peppermint and almonds. Spice it up with honey and lemon juice. Leave in the fridge for half an hour. Grill the slices of Halloumi cheese until they are golden. Cut the fresh rolls in half and spread them with butter. Put a lettuce leaf on each half of roll, then a slice of the Halloumi cheese, one tablespoon of salsa, another slice of cheese and two tablespoons of salsa. Spice it up with balsamic sauce. Cover with the other half of the roll. Prepare the second sandwich in the same way. Serve at once while the cheese is still hot.

Enjoy your meal!

DSC_1548a.jpg

DSC_1552a.jpg

• Like 1

Kasia Warsaw/Poland

www.home-madepatchwork.com

follow me on Facebook and Instagram

I've had sandwiches I didn't enjoy due to poor ingredients or preparation but I've never really thought about them as being boring. As long as they're tasty, I'm happy with the simplest of sandwiches and it goes up from there.

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• Similar Content

• By shain
      Creamy pasta with a spicy pungent flavor.
      Best served with a bold red wine or a dark ale.

Serves four.

Mustard must be added to taste, I find the acidity to be the limiting factor, rather than its pungency, but if your mustard is very strong, you may need to use less and add a touch of vinegar.

400 g dried fettuccine or other wide pasta, or better, an equivalent amount of fresh egg pasta 250-300 champignon or other mushrooms, sliced thinly 3 tsp butter 1 medium onion, diced 4 garlic cloves, minced A small amount of chili 400g spinach leaves, stems removed, cut into ribbons Apx 1/4 cup half and half, or a bit less full fat cream 4-8 tsp Dijon mustard (add to taste), you can include some grainy mustard if you have it at hand Optional: 1 tsp nutritional yeast or a touch of MSG, if you like using it Optional: 1/2 to 1.5 tsp honey or dark brown sugar Salt to taste A generous grating of nutmeg Plenty of black pepper  

Cook mushrooms with some of the butter over high heat until lightly browned. Set aside. Add more of the butter and fry the onion until golden. Add remaining butter, garlic and chili. Fry briefly until aromatic. Cook the pasta very al dente. Drain well. Add it along with the mushroom, spinach and cream. Heat over low flame, until the spinach is wilting. Add mustard to taste, optional nutritional yeast or msg, optional honey or sugar, salt. All to taste. Add vinegar only if needed, add nutmeg. Plate and grind pepper on top.  

• By Ling
      Ling's Favourite Brownies (revised 08/22/05)
      Serves 10 as Dessert.
      I've been playing around with my brownie recipe for a few months, and I'm pretty happy with this version. Not only is it easy to put together, but it produces the densest, fudgiest brownies I've ever tasted.
      I've used both Scharffen Berger and Valrhona for this recipe. Use whichever chocolate you like, as long as it's of good quality.
      5 oz unsweetened Scharffen Berger chocolate 3 oz bittersweet (70%) Scharffen Berger or Valrhona Guanaja 2 c granulated sugar 1 c butter 1 T vanilla extract 4 eggs 1 c flour (dip and sweep) 2 T cocoa powder 1/2 tsp salt 1. Melt the butter and both types of chocolate over medium heat in a saucepan.
      2. Beat eggs in mixing bowl with a hand mixer on high speed for 4 minutes, until pale.
      3. Gradually add sugar and vanilla extract.
      4. Temper the eggs with the chocolate mixture, then add all of the mixture into the bowl.
      5. Slowly incorporate the flour, salt, and cocoa. Beat the batter vigorously with a wooden spoon for about 30 seconds until the batter looks shiny.
      6. Pour batter into an ungreased, non-stick pan (I use a 9" cake round, and this fits perfectly.) Smooth the top of the batter.
      7. Bake in a pre-heated 325 degree oven for approximately 25 minutes (there should be moist crumbs on the skewer when testing for doneness).
      "Serves 10" is just an estimate--the brownies are quite rich, so some may be satisfied with just a sliver. However, if you're like me, half the pan will be gone before you know it. 😉
      Keywords: Dessert, Easy, Chocolate, Snack, Brownies/Bars, American
      ( RG1291 )
    • By Ling
      Ling's Favourite Brownies (revised 08/22/05)
      Serves 10 as Dessert.
      I've been playing around with my brownie recipe for a few months, and I'm pretty happy with this version. Not only is it easy to put together, but it produces the densest, fudgiest brownies I've ever tasted.
      I've used both Scharffen Berger and Valrhona for this recipe. Use whichever chocolate you like, as long as it's of good quality.
      5 oz unsweetened Scharffen Berger chocolate 3 oz bittersweet (70%) Scharffen Berger or Valrhona Guanaja 2 c granulated sugar 1 c butter 1 T vanilla extract 4 eggs 1 c flour (dip and sweep) 2 T cocoa powder 1/2 tsp salt 1. Melt the butter and both types of chocolate over medium heat in a saucepan.
      2. Beat eggs in mixing bowl with a hand mixer on high speed for 4 minutes, until pale.
      3. Gradually add sugar and vanilla extract.
      4. Temper the eggs with the chocolate mixture, then add all of the mixture into the bowl.
      5. Slowly incorporate the flour, salt, and cocoa. Beat the batter vigorously with a wooden spoon for about 30 seconds until the batter looks shiny.
      6. Pour batter into an ungreased, non-stick pan (I use a 9" cake round, and this fits perfectly.) Smooth the top of the batter.
      7. Bake in a pre-heated 325 degree oven for approximately 25 minutes (there should be moist crumbs on the skewer when testing for doneness).
      "Serves 10" is just an estimate--the brownies are quite rich, so some may be satisfied with just a sliver. However, if you're like me, half the pan will be gone before you know it. 😉
      Keywords: Dessert, Easy, Chocolate, Snack, Brownies/Bars, American
      ( RG1291 )
    • By shain
      This recipe produces about 2.5 liters of soup. It can be doubled.

Ingredients:

200g (1 cup) dry red lentils (soak overnight for faster cooking) 1 liter of water for cooking the lentils - Some butter 2 onions, diced 2 carrots, diced 1 hot chili, de-seeded and diced 3 cloves garlic, minced 1 large tart cooking apple, peeled and diced 2 tomatoes, diced - 2-3 tbsp ginger, minced - Dry spices: 2 tsp curry leaves 1 tsp "curry powder" (mine is consisting mostly of turmeric, fennel and fenugreek) 1 tsp cumin powder 1 tsp sweet paprika 1 tsp cinnamon 1 tsp turmeric 1 tsp thyme 1/2 tsp cardamom powder (fresh, otherwise you may need a tad more) 1 tsp sugar (I use brown) - 150-200 ml (apx 3/4 cup) coconut cream (unsweetened) 3/4 liter up to 1 liter of stock or water 1-2 tsp wine vinegar (or some lemon juice) chopped cilantro optional: toasted cashew / pistachios / coconut chips, croutons or crackers for garnish optional strained yogurt for garnish  
      Directions:
      Cook the lentils in a liter of water until fully tender. - Meanwhile, fry the onions in butter until golden. Add the carrots and fry until starting to soften. Add chili and garlic. Saute until aromatic. Add apple and tomatoes, cook until softened (~5 minutes). If the vegetables aren't fully cooked to your liking, add water and cook until they are. - Using a blender, blend smooth the ginger, 1/2 of the lentils and 1/4 to 1/3 of the vegetables. Mix it all back together in the pot. Add the dry spices, and remaining ingredients (coconut cream, vinegar, cilantro). Add 3/4 to 1 liter of stock/water to reach desired consistency. Bring to a low boil, taste and adjust. It should be gently spicy (hot) and gently sweet. It shouldn't be tart, but add vinegar or lemon if it tastes flat or overly sweet. Make sure you can get a good hint of the cardamom, it's what makes this soup for me.  

• By shain
      For 3 medium pizzas (4 large-ish slices each) or 2 large pizzas (I recommend that you stick to medium sized ones).

425g (15oz) high gluten (bread) flour 272g (9.6oz) room temp water (based on hydration percentage: 272=425*0.64) 10.5g ( 0.4oz) salt 16g (4 tsp, 0.53oz) sugar 17g (1.5 tbsp, 0.6oz) olive oil  6.5g (2 tsp, 0.25oz) instant yeast (or 2.5g dry) If you have non-diastatic malt powder, adding a little will add a nice flavor Note: edited 2020, since my recipe changed since 2016. The original version called for 6.5g salt, 21g olive oil, 12g sugar.

If using dry yeast, dissolve it in the water, instant yeast can be mixed with the flour. Mix all dry ingredients, pour in the water. Using a mixer, knead 5 min, let rest 10 min, knead 5 min more, or until well developed.  If you use your hands, it's better to knead more times, for shorter periods and shorter rests in between.   
      Put the dough in the fridge at least overnight, preferably 2-3 days and up to 6 days. Once the dough is risen, Take it cold from the fridge and place it on a dusted surface. Divide into as many pieces as you want pizzas. Shape into tight balls. Use semolina or flour as needed, try not to overuse it, but it's better than having it stick.  Place the balls on a generous dusting of semolina or flour so it won't stick to the surface. Keep it covered. I use an upside down bowl, but a dusted towel will work.  Let it rise for 1 to 2.5 hours (1 in summer, 2.5 in winter). Don't forget to preheat your oven at least 40 minutes before it's time to bake (even more time if you use a stone instead of steel).  You want as high as your oven will go (mine gets to ~270C). When the dough is risen, puffed and slack - Place a parchment over a peel or upside down oven sheet. I like to cut the corners of the parchment so to not risk it burning.   
      Shaping takes a little practice and is up to personal preference. There are good videos online. 
      Take a ball and dust lightly. Flatten it gently, don't remove much air. Do pinch any large bubbles. Put the dough on your closed fist and gently shake to extend the dough edges downwards. Hold the dough with two hands, using your finger to grab it slightly inside from the rim, as to keep the air in it. Let gravity stretch the dough downwards, as you rotate it in the, much like a steering wheel, gently stretch the dough sideways between your hands as you do so (I hope this description made sense).  When the dough inside the rim is thin and almost, but not yet allowing light through, place the dough on the parchment. Lift the edges and stretch it to its full size and restore its circular shape.  Top as desired. Use cold ingredients, especially the cheese, which is also better cubed than grated. I'll use apx. 90g (3.2oz) of mozzarella per medium sized pizza. Set the oven to top broiler/grill on maximum power for one minute, then slide the pizza and the parchment together into the oven and . Bake until getting slightly charred, but avoid browning the cheese.  Let the oven reheat a little (back in regular, non grill setting) before baking the next pie, and turn the broiler back on a minute before inserting it.  
      A note about baking - you want the baking steel to preheat as much as you can before inserting the pizza. You want to make sure the broiler is on for a minute before inserting the pizza, but not too long ahead so that it won't be stopped by the thermostat.

Please tell me if there is something you'd like me to clarify. 

My favorite toppings:
      All are for medium sized pizzas, scale by 1.5 for a large pizza.
      The amounts are in grams, but that doesn't mean it needs to be precise at all.
      All toppings should be fridge-cold, especially the cheeses.

Classic NY style:
      5 large ripe, sauce tomatoes (like roma or san-marzano) either fresh or canned - peeled , chopped, salted , drained and crushed (500g / 17oz) 100g cold semi-dry mozzarella (3.5oz), chopped Fry some garlic in olive oil. Add the tomatoes and cook until slightly thickened but still bright tasting.
      Add salt to taste and some basil, chili, etc.
      Spread the sauce and sprinkle the cheese.

Pesto-ricotta:
      90-100g ricotta (3.5oz), mixed with some salt and pepper 50g cold mozzarella (1.8oz) 100g pesto, semi frozen or at least fridge-cold (3.6oz) 5-6 cherry tomatoes, halved Spread the mozzarella evenly, drop chunks of pesto and ricotta. Scatter the halved tomatoes.

Eggplants and mushrooms:
      1 small eggplant, sliced and baked, grilled or fried about 5 button mushrooms, sliced and sauteed. 80g ricotta (2.8oz), mixed with a minced clove of garlic 90g cold mozzarella (3.2oz) - optionally smoked mozzarella Some salt, pepper, oregano and thyme

Margarita
      4 large ripe, sauce tomatoes (like roma or san-marzano) either fresh or canned - peeled , chopped, salted , drained and crushed (400g / 17oz) 110g cold fresh mozzarella (3.9oz), teared by hand (or roughly chopped)  basil leaves Some sharp EVOO Salt the crushed tomatoes to taste, spread it and place the cheese. Place the basil and drizzle olive oil immediately after baking.

Ricotta & figs
      100g ricotta (3.5oz), mixed with 1/3 tsp salt and some pepper, and optionally, 1/3 tsp of ground anise or fennel seeds 80g cold mozzarella (2.8oz)  4-5 large ripe figs, sliced. The narrow top-most slices are the cook's treat Bake until the figs gets caramelized.

Goat cheese and olives
      About 5 tablespoons of cooked tomato sauce - enough for e thin even spreading Dry chili to taste 55g cold mozzarella (2oz)  75g cold soft goat cheese, salted (2.6oz)  About 7-8 of olives of your choice, chopped About 5 cherry tomatoes, sliced (using multiple colors looks better)

Apples and blue cheese
      About 5 tablespoons of cooked tomato sauce - enough for e thin even spreading 65g mozzarella (2.3oz)  65g strong blue cheese (2.3oz)  150-170g tart apple (I used Granny Smith), cubed (apx 1/2") Some salt, depending on your cheese of choice