• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

shain

shain

@Katie Meadow I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed it!

And I'm also terribly sorry for forgetting the sugar, this recipe uses dark brown sugar, which is a key part of it's flavor.

I use about 40g of sugar, so it's quite sweet (but not cake sweet). I once had a recipe for a "noodle apple casserole" (in Hebrew the word is 'pashtida', casserole is the closest term I could think of) - It was baked in a rectangular aluminum pan, with very little sugar and no raisins or cinnamon, it had a savory-sweet quality that I assume was in your sugar-free kugel also had. 

All this to say that if you make it again (which I hope you do), consider adding the brown sugar, or maybe just a little molasses if you wish to keep it less sweet.

Good noodles are very important for this recipe in order to hold during the entire baking time, and sadly many egg noodles are really bad and turn to mush as soon as they are cooked.  

As for crisping the top, after removing the foil, I spread about a teaspoon or two of butter, and bake for 20 minutes. It might be that our ovens are out of sync, you can try a higher temp. Thinking about it, I assume the sugar might also contribute to browning (so maybe sprinkle some, if you opt to keep it sugar free). 

shain

shain

@Katie Meadow I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed it!

And I'm also terribly sorry for forgetting the sugar, this recipe uses dark brown sugar, which is a key part of it's flavor.

I use about 40g of sugar, so it's quote sweet (but not cake sweet). I once had a recipe for a "noodle apple casserole" (in Hebrew the word is 'pashtida', casserole is the closest term I could think of) - It was baked in a rectangular aluminum pan, with very little sugar and no raisins or cinnamon, it had a savory-sweet quality that I assume was in your sugar-free kugel also had. 

All this to say that if you make it again (which I hope you do), consider adding the brown sugar, or maybe just a little molasses if you wish to keep it less sweet.

Good noodles are very important for this recipe in order to hold during the entire baking time, and sadly many egg noodles are really bad and turn to mush as soon as they are cooked.  

As for crisping the top, after removing the foil, I spread about a teaspoon or two of butter, and bake for 20 minutes. It might be that our ovens are out of sync, you can try a higher temp. Thinking about it, I assume the sugar might also contribute to browning (so maybe sprinkle some, if you opt to keep it sugar free).