• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BonVivant

BonVivant

4 hours ago, HungryChris said:

I  wanted to try pickled herring and pickled herring in sour cream for years, but had an experience as a young man in Amsterdam that has held me back. I read about Hollandse Nieuwe on the train as we were headed there. The first cart I encountered selling it got my attention and I ordered one. I was handed a little plate with a single fresh herring fillet smothered with chopped pickles and onions. As I had seen others do, I picked it up by the tail and lowered it into my mouth biting off pieces. Let's just say I was not ready for that yet and it ended up in the canal, much to the enjoyment of several locals. I have come to enjoy all manner of seafood in the years since, but that left a dark mark on my soul.

HC 

Hollandse Nieuwe/new season herrings and pickled herrings are not the same thing. Pickled herrings are sour, whereas maatjes are not.

Do you remember the if herring was cleaned in front of you? Herrings' quality deteriorate so fast once it's removed from the brine and gutted.

I love maatjes. Eat 2 every week at the fishmonger's stall (about 120 in total, annually). See how my herring is being cleaned:

BonVivant

BonVivant

4 hours ago, HungryChris said:

I  wanted to try pickled herring and pickled herring in sour cream for years, but had an experience as a young man in Amsterdam that has held me back. I read about Hollandse Nieuwe on the train as we were headed there. The first cart I encountered selling it got my attention and I ordered one. I was handed a little plate with a single fresh herring fillet smothered with chopped pickles and onions. As I had seen others do, I picked it up by the tail and lowered it into my mouth biting off pieces. Let's just say I was not ready for that yet and it ended up in the canal, much to the enjoyment of several locals. I have come to enjoy all manner of seafood in the years since, but that left a dark mark on my soul.

HC 

Hollandse Nieuwe/new season herrings and pickled herrings are not the same thing. Pickled herrings are sour, whereas maatjes are not.

Do you remember the herring was cleaned in front of you? Herrings' quality deteriorate so fast once it's removed from the brine and gutted.

I love maatjes. Eat 2 every week at the fishmonger's stall (about 120 in total, annually). See how my herring is being cleaned: