• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

Some things I can only find from the delivery people rather than in the market or supermarkets. One is blood sausage, which I fancied this morning. I also ordered some clams and 芥菜 (jiè cài), which you probably know as gailan, the Canto-name.

But that is not my point here. Along with my order came this large (250g), unexpected bunch of  空心菜 (kōng xīn cài, literally 'hollow heart vegetable'), water spinach or ong choy in Cantonese, rau muống in Vietnamese, and ผักบุ้ง (phak bung) in Thai. They also included some pre-peeled garlic cloves. I guess they have a glut of it. It is the most popular green vegetable here, so they may have overstocked. Anyway, thanks!

kongxincai1.thumb.jpg.d957a72aa19c4215130257d6e3e95b14.jpg

kongxincai2.thumb.jpg.898815957f7d840a03398f249010be48.jpg

You can see the 'hollow' hearts here.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Some things I can only find from the delivery people rather in the market or supermarkets. One is blood sausage, which I fancied this morning. I also ordered some clams and 芥菜 (jiè cài), which you probably know as gailan, the Canto-name.

But that is not my point here. Along with my order came this large (250g), unexpected bunch of  空心菜 (kōng xīn cài, literally 'hollow heart vegetable'), water spinach or ong choy in Cantonese, rau muống in Vietnamese, and ผักบุ้ง (phak bung) in Thai. They also included some pre-peeled garlic cloves. I guess they have a glut of it. It is the most popular green vegetable here, so they may have overstocked. Anyway, thanks!

liuzhou

liuzhou

Some things I can only find from the delivery people rather in the market or supermarkets. One is blood sausage, which I fancied this morning. I also ordered some clams and 芥菜 (jiè cài), which you probably know as gailan, the Canto-name.

But that is not my point here. Along with my order came this large (250g), unexpected bunch of  空心菜 (kōng xīn cài, literally 'hollow heart vegetable'), water spinach or ong choy in Cantonese, rau muống in Vietnamese, and ผักบุ้ง (phak bung) in Thai. The also included some pre-peeled garlic cloves. I guess they have a glut of it. It is the most popular green vegetable here, so they may have overstocked. Anyway, thanks!

liuzhou

liuzhou

But that is not my point here. Along with my order came this large (250g), unexpected bunch of  空心菜 (kōng xīn cài, literally 'hollow heart vegetable'), water spinach or ong choy and some pre-peeled garlic cloves. Why? I guess they have a glut of it. It is the most popular green vegetable here, so they may have overstocked. Anyway, thanks!