• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

There are some things I like to put in my mouth that aren't available in my local markets or supermarkets but I can order for delivery. Today, among other things I ordered some portobello mushrooms (rare here) and one of my favourite black boletes (one is more than enough for a meal for me - they're large). Within minutes of placing my order my phone rang.

portobello.thumb.jpg.aef5dbc0d849c1a6996d32d6c54b7f16.jpgPortobello Mushrooms

"Hello, this is Ms. Li from Xincai (name of delivery company). I'm sorry but we're out of portobellos. Can we  send you an extra black bolete instead?" Of course, she said it in the local dialect of Chinese that being what most of them speak around here for some reason. Wishing to be agreeable, I agreed. I said "OK" in Universal Language.

30 minutes later my order turned up.

blackbolettes.thumb.jpg.21388fc024ba14bdb1eef30f65a75bce.jpg

Two black boletes, and an unordered or paid for pack of essentials for Chinese cooking and a couple of eggs. Obviously the essentials and eggs were gifts, but given that the extra black bolete costs double what the portobellos would have, I'm considering that a partial gift, too.

_20240514191003.thumb.jpg.9b667c2f38f03ac127d5d6770c9ff069.jpg

Essentials

liuzhou

liuzhou

There are some things I like to put in my mouth that aren't available in my local markets or supermarkets but I can order for delivery. Today, among other things I ordered some portobello mushrooms (rare here) and one of my favourite black boletes. Within minutes of placing my order my phone rang.

portobello.thumb.jpg.aef5dbc0d849c1a6996d32d6c54b7f16.jpgPortobello Mushrooms

"Hello, this is Ms. Li from Xincai (name of delivery company). I'm sorry but we're out of portobellos. Can we  send you an extra black bolete instead?"  Of course, she said it in Chinese that being what most of them speak around here for some reason. Wishing to be agreeable, I agreed. I said "OK" in Universal Language.

30 minutes later my order turned up.

blackbolettes.thumb.jpg.21388fc024ba14bdb1eef30f65a75bce.jpg

Two black boletes, and an unordered or paid for pack of essentials for Chinese cooking and a couple of eggs. Obviously the essentials eggs were gifts, but given that the extra black bolete costs double what the portobellos would have, I'm considering that a partial gift, too.

_20240514191003.thumb.jpg.9b667c2f38f03ac127d5d6770c9ff069.jpg

Essentials