• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

chromedome

chromedome

Fix typo, add a paragraph

1 hour ago, Maison Rustique said:

Yesterday was our 39th anniversary. Since my husband's dementia has gotten so bad, he often doesn't know I am his wife and certainly did not understand that it was our anniversary. A rather sad day for me.

That's rough. Nothing can make it better, but this kind of thoughtful gesture from a loved one helps.

I visited yesterday with a cousin of mine here in NS. Her husband was diagnosed in his early 50s with an extremely aggressive form of dementia, which had largely incapacitated him within a couple of years of the diagnosis. He's just 62 now, and it looks like he will have one more Christmas at home with his wife and daughter, which I would not have bet on a year ago at this time. It's getting very near the point where she can't care for him at home anymore, even with a nurse (their daughter) in the home.

They were college sweethearts, and will be celebrating their 42nd anniversary at the end of December. I expect it will be a bittersweet moment.

ETA: While I was there she gifted me with about 15 pounds of apples from a neighbour's tree, and part of a Costco-sized chunk of parm that she wasn't going through quickly enough (just to bring this back into topicality). This represents only about half of the apples she herself was gifted by the beleaguered owner of the tree, and she knew I'd make use of them.

chromedome

chromedome

32 minutes ago, Maison Rustique said:

Yesterday was our 39th anniversary. Since my husband's dementia has gotten so bad, he often doesn't know I am his wife and certainly did not understand that it was our anniversary. A rather sad day for me.

That's rough. Noting can make it better, but this kind of thoughtful gesture from a loved one helps.

I visited yesterday with a cousin of mine here in NS. Her husband was diagnosed in his early 50s with an extremely aggressive form of dementia, which had largely incapacitated him within a couple of years of the diagnosis. He's just 62 now, and it looks like he will have one more Christmas at home with his wife and daughter, which I would not have bet on a year ago at this time. It's getting very near the point where she can't care for him at home anymore, even with a nurse (their daughter) in the home.

They were college sweethearts, and will be celebrating their 42nd anniversary at the end of December. I expect it will be a bittersweet moment.