• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Edit History

quiet1

quiet1

No photo, but I got some stuff for tiki style drinks and my housemate requested a pina colada to start with. I don't have a blender so I did them kind of like a mint julep - crushed a lot of ice, shook the juice and rum with cubes to chill, poured that over the ice. Not quite the right texture but I think it at least convinced everyone that mixers are not the way to go. And that was with coco Lopez and bottled pineapple juice. I used Appleton Estate 12 year old for the rum.

ETA: I have to add that the silly straws with fake flowers that I got as a last minute impulse buy really did help with the tropical feel of the drink, since I lacked anything to make fresh garnish. To be honest, I think I prefer my weird frozen fruit juice drinks without booze, and my booze less hidden by other stuff. With that said, the rum did add something the mix needed - I tried a bit without alcohol in case resident kiddo wanted a taste (he did not) and it lacked a depth of flavor. I'm thinking maybe a bit of some kind of bitters would help - I need to experiment more with the ones we have. (I got overwhelmed by orange options and bought three different orange bitters to compare and contrast.)

i also got him a bottle of Somrus for his birthday, which is a weird Indian-flavored cream liqueur. Housemate likes it, I think it tastes like someone strained kheer and added vodka. However it seems interesting to mix with - I'm thinking maybe something like a Thai iced tea, very creamy and sweet.

quiet1

quiet1

No photo, but I got some stuff for tiki style drinks and my housemate requested a pina colada to start with. I don't have a blender so I did them kind of like a mint julep - crushed a lot of ice, shook the juice and rum with cubes to chill, poured that over the ice. Not quite the right texture but I think it at least convinced everyone that mixers are not the way to go. And that was with coco Lopez and bottled pineapple juice. I used Appleton Estate 12 year old for the rum.

i also got him a bottle of Somrus for his birthday, which is a weird Indian-flavored cream liqueur. Housemate likes it, I think it tastes like someone strained kheer and added vodka. However it seems interesting to mix with - I'm thinking maybe something like a Thai iced tea, very creamy and sweet.