• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

37 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Strange that the first site did not even mention protective gloves at all and the second one just mentioned it once in a graphic.

Well, glove usage in the food service setting is often regulated at a state or local level so I imagine it would be difficult to provide universal guidance there.

I tend to think that very thorough and frequent hand washing trumps the use of gloves, but both can be effective if implemented correctly - meaning gloves changed or hands washed any time a potentially contaminated surface or object is touched. 

Any used glove that may be contaminated needs to be removed in a way that doesn't spread contamination: pinching a bit of the wrist of the glove as you pull your hand out and turn the glove inside out, then doing the same with the other hand before dropping them into the trash and putting on a fresh pair of gloves.  It's pretty difficult to safely remove and re-don a pair of disposable gloves and yet, I see food service staff do it all the time.

I see glove-wearing food service staff handling food, then cash, answering phones, then back to food without changing gloves while I, the radioisotope-using, microbiology major with freshly washed hands just watch and cringe!

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

25 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Strange that the first site did not even mention protective gloves at all and the second one just mentioned it once in a graphic.

Well, glove usage in the food service setting is often regulated at a state or local level so I imagine it would be difficult to provide universal guidance there.

I tend to think that very thorough and frequent hand washing trumps the use of gloves, but both can be effective if implemented correctly - meaning gloves changed or hands washed any time a potentially contaminated surface or object is touched. 

Any used glove that may be contaminated needs to be removed in a way that doesn't spread contamination: pinching a bit of the wrist of the glove as you pull your hand out and turn the glove inside out, then doing the same with the other hand before dropping them into the trash and putting on a fresh pair of gloves.  It's pretty difficult to safely remove and re-don a pair of disposable gloves and yet, I see food service staff do it all the time.

I see glove-wearing food service staff handling food, then cash, answering phones, then back to food without changing gloves while I, the radioisotope-using, microbiology major with freshly washed hands just watches and cringes!

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

16 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Any used glove that may be contaminated needs to be removed in a way that doesn't spread contamination: pinching a bit of the wrist of the glove as you pull your hand out and turn the glove inside out, then doing the same with the other hand before dropping them into the trash and putting on a fresh pair of gloves.

I see glove-wearing food service staff handling food, then cash, answering phones, then back to food without changing gloves while I, the radioisotope-using, microbiology major with freshly washed hands just watches and cringes!