• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dale De Groff Mixes FOR YOU!

I'm going to the New York flaming instead :raz:

Andy, I know it seems unreasonable, but might there be a few people who planned to come and don't read this board every day ? In which case they're going to turn up at the club and be fearsomely upset. I assume that Players have someone who can actually do the business, and while I'm disappointed that the Gruff won't be there, it is (after all) the cocktail that's the star of the show, not the shaker.

If at least one other person is going, I'll be there, even if that one other person is only Fattus Gaius :biggrin:

Andy, if you like I'll send you a photo of Dale and you can display it at the event.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

We could kidnap him, he's only up the road. This from a recent press release:

"Dale DeGroff is in town and will be behind the bar at Match EC1 in Clerkenwell from 6 to 9pm on Wednesday 22 January mixing delicious whiskey cocktails from the Match Winter Menu".

So come on guys, I'm sure at least some of the celebrity chef stalkers here are adept with chloroform pads, face masks and dragging struggling bodies into unmarked vehicles.

Cheers

Thom

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".

Oh come on... "Move the event"...

Convinient? Yes. Exciting, challenging and technically illegal? Almost certainly not.

Live a little people.

Cheers

Thom

It's all true... I admit to being the MD of Holden Media, organisers of the Northern Restaurant and Bar exhibition, the Northern Hospitality Awards and other Northern based events too numerous to mention.

I don't post here as frequently as I once did, but to hear me regularly rambling on about bollocks - much of it food and restaurant-related - in a bite-size fashion then add me on twitter as "thomhetheringto".

Can we move the event?

That way we can have under-the-radar Gullys (maybe we should develop a secret handshake, so Dale knows it's us?), AND whiskey cocktails...which I'm rather fond of, I must admit.

Andy? What's your verdict?

I say we do it

We storm the Clerkenwell Branch ( Kristian there is the best Barman in the whole chain anyway ) and demand they make The Flaming Gully until they rename it The Flaming Nuisance and agree to make it

As Thom says " Live a LIttle People" Although he comes from Manchester so surely it should just be " Subsist a little people until you die of a bad diet, drinking bad beer and smoking too much."

S

Edited by Simon Majumdar (log)

I can't help feeling it's curmudgeonly to spurn the original invitation from Player, and I'm still concerned about people who might not read this thread, and therefore just turn up at Player.

Also, I'm not sure whether we'd be welcomed at Match, and whether His Gruffness will be ready and willing to serve us the requisite FOGs.

What about Player from 6 till 7pm, then move to Match ? It's not that far !

Andy, I think you now need to make a decision.

The Clerkenwell thing is members only/press do and they dont want us there. However, Dale will be training someone up at the Player to mix the Flaming Orange Gullys so the event will go ahead as planned.

I'm sorry about the confusion and if anyone turns up that hasn't read this, but reads it subsequently, I'm sorry. It's not my fault, but I am nevertheless sorry. I will try and be at the bar for around 6.00pm to welcome you all.

For those who have yet to experience the particular pleasure of making my acquaintance, I'll be the fat beared bloke looking like he'd rather be in a quiet corner of a pub somewhere with pint of larger and a John Franklin Barden omnibus to read. If that doesn't help you to identify me (and who knows how many fat beardy bastards go to the Player in the early evening), I'll also be the one beating the living crap out of Thom for mentioning the Clerkenwell do and fucking everything up at the last minute :biggrin:

So, did the blessed event happen? Or are you all still out drinking? Enquiring minds want to know.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Ah, I get it.

Interestingly, I'll be meeting some press for FOGs at Beacon this afternoon at right about the same time you all will be enjoying your FOGs on the other side of the pond. This will be the FOG's transatlantic debut, perhaps the first such event in cocktail history.