• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dale De Groff Mixes FOR YOU!

We can rope off a VIP section marked "soaks who slipped on the ice when pissed and now their husband has to dress them" for you although it may be a bit lonely

Shit, Charlene. Does this mean you can't hold the bottle in one hand and the glass in the other pouring constantly as you normally do?

c) The Match Bar chain ( under the guidance of DDG's consultancy) has become the most consistently good bar chain in the UK and arguably the world.

Second most.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Can I have a recap on who is and isn't coming and if you are bringing anyone along please :

Simon

Stephen T

Thom if he's in town

Journo's from Restaurant mag (possibly)

Miss J

Sam (and Scott?)

Charlene (the bar will be open but it should be quiet at that time as Simon says, hence why they are keen to have us!)

Boncey

Magnolia (is she around at the moment does anyone know?)

Gavin

Macrosan

Jay Rayner?

Jon Tseng (but doubtful)

Can I have a recap on who is and isn't coming and if you are bringing anyone along please :

Boncey

I'm afraid I won't be there.

I have decided that I must remain true to the Dry January tradition - not that I look down on Steve in any way for going I should add.

I shall go to the club in Wet February as it does look good.

Im in (work going well).

Simon, I am wondering if you are aware that the Player is run by the same folk running Milk and Honey, your other favorite place in London.  Or was it the most loathsome place in London?

I am aware. They are all part of the Match Group ( read my review my yankee friend )

They are as different as Chalk & Cheese

S

How exciting! My favourite bartender in London . . . and a drink named for us. I will certainly try to attend (with my better half). Perhaps it will bring back memories of the Blackbird, which was during its short life simply the best cocktail lounge in NYC.

Dale's drink seems to be a variation of a Combustible Edison -- can anyone confirm?

General question on the Player Club: I've read carefully through the website and I think it says that entry is members-only after 11 (but not before then). Or is it members-only all the time (despite the Time Out review they reproduce)? Could Simon, Jay, or another barfly clarify ... ?

Simon's correct. Although, they seldom seem to chuck anybody out in practice. Too difficult to figure out who is a member and who is not at that point. I think its more of an effort to establish some pretence of adhering to their license, which requires it to be members only post-11. What is certain, is that it would be difficult for non-members to get in following 11.

And I would point out, although I am not an expert on members clubs, that these two seem to fall into their own category. Most of my english friends who go thinking of them as members clubs, are not particularly enthused about their experiences. To the extent that the concept "members club" conveys any sense of elitism, discretion in admission, availability only to those of a certain background or level of wealth, these joints are not fitting the definition (as indicated by the "anyone who pays their 150 pounds a year can join" policy). Perhaps following on that, the level of service is probably not close to that at a trendy members club like Home House. You just arent likely to feel like a big important somebody walking into Match or M&H.

I really enjoy both places. And I have had great cocktails at relatively modest prices at both.

Thomas Secor

Simon's correct.  Although, they seldom seem to chuck anybody out in practice.  Too difficult to figure out who is a member and who is not at that point.  I think its more of an effort to establish some pretence of adhering to their license, which requires it to be members only post-11.  What is certain, is that it would be difficult for non-members to get in following 11.

And I would point out, although I am not an expert on members clubs, that these two seem to fall into their own category.  Most of my english friends who go thinking of them as members clubs, are not particularly enthused about their experiences.  To the extent that the concept "members club" conveys any sense of elitism, discretion in admission, availability only to those of a certain background or level of wealth, these joints are not fitting the definition (as indicated by the "anyone who pays their 150 pounds a year can join" policy).  Perhaps following on that, the level of service is probably not close to that at a trendy members club like Home House.  You just arent likely to feel like a big important somebody walking into Match or M&H. 

I really enjoy both places.  And I have had great cocktails at relatively modest prices at both.

The Player and M&H are not "Members Club" in the sense of the word that we have in London. That would be places that operate just for the benefit of their members and guests like the upmarket Athanaeum or the more mid market Soho House. The two bars are, as Thomas quite rightly states, using the club laws as a way of providing a welcome "after hours" drinking hole for people who are prepared to pay for the chance to drink after chucking out time

S

I have never been chucked out of a members' club. I would like to see someone try to chuck Simon out of any sort of club. Another two reasons for ensuring my attendance on Wednesday.

I am having a suit specially asbestosised for protection against the possibility that Mr Gruff might still be honing his flaming skills.

Edited by macrosan (log)

I am very sorry to say that Dale DeGroff will now be unable to be at The Player Club tomorrow due to unforseen circumstances. The club have offered to mix us the drinks, so it there will still be an opportunity to try a Flaming Orange Gully. Are people still interested?

Sorry everyone, I think this is my fault. Forces outside our control have obviously conspired to keep me on the path of righteousness that is Dry January by removing this temptation. With this in mind I think I'd better not go as that might result in the bar being hit by a meteorite to prevent me from drinking there.