• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

In the category of things I never knew existed and really shouldn't be eating, I give you the Sausage Balls from Deep Run Roots p 372 with the suggested accompaniment of the Apple Mustard on p 502.
IMG_7141.thumb.jpg.6e35f6e8e6fa2880a96fc0235fb47cf2.jpg
Vivian says sausage balls are a clichéd party food and often disappointing. Completely unaware of sausage balls over here so I had to try these to catch up with the rest of the planet.
I used the Maple & Sage Breakfast Sausage from The Food Lab plus a nice Cabot extra sharp cheddar and followed Vivian's recipe except for making them slightly smaller ~ 3/4oz instead of 1 oz. They are very tasty. Just enough cornmeal to hold them together. Most of the fat drains off so they don't seem greasy at all.

Vivian says the Apple Mustard is like an apple butter with an edge. Excellent description. It's kicked up with onion, Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, cayenne, star anise, cloves, thyme and orange slices. I only made a half recipe but I think I'll still pack it up in some little jars and waterbath process them.
blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

In the category of things I never knew existed and really shouldn't be eating, I give you the Sausage Balls from Deep Run Roots p 372 with the suggested accompaniment of the Apple Mustard on p 502.
IMG_7141.thumb.jpg.6e35f6e8e6fa2880a96fc0235fb47cf2.jpg
Vivian says sausage balls are a clichéd party food and often disappointing. Completely unaware of sausage balls over here so I had to try these to catch up with the rest of the planet.
I used the Maple & Sage Breakfast Sausage from The Food Lab plus a nice Cabot extra sharp cheddar and followed Vivian's recipe except for making them slightly smaller ~ 3/4oz instead of 1 oz. They are very tasty. Just enough cornmeal to hold them together. Most of the fat drains off so they don't seem greasy at all.

Vivian says the Apple Mustard is like an apple butter with an edge. Excellent description. It's kicked up with onion, Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, cayenne, star anise, cloves, thyme and orange slices. I only made a half recipe but I think I'll still pack it up in some little jars and waterbath process them.