• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

4 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

I'm going to make this today. Any roasting tips?

I did them in the CSO on convection bake at the specified 400°F and they took the full 25 min that was specified in the recipe. In addition to turning the pan, I also flipped the pieces around to get more even browning.

The 6 oz of okra that I cooked is absolutely the max to maintain some separation in that small oven pan so I would certainly recommend using a larger pan in a full size oven if you are doing any more than that. 

And I'd use convection if you have it as I think it helps to crisp them up. 

The spicy mayo sounds like a great dip for these guys. 

Edited to add that the one change I've made to most Deep Run Roots recipes is to start out with half of the specified amount of salt and that usually works out well for me. I generally do with with most cookbooks.  On the other hand, someone in another group said Vivian's recipes were under seasoned with respect to salt and she routinely doubles the salt!

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

2 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

I did them in the CSO on convection bake at the specified 400°F and they took the full 25 min that was specified in the recipe. In addition to turning the pan, I also flipped the pieces around to get more even browning.

The 6 oz of okra that I cooked is absolutely the max to maintain some separation in that small oven pan so I would certainly recommend using a larger pan in a full size oven if you are doing any more than that. 

Edited to add that the one change I've made to most Deep Run Roots recipes is to start out with half of the specified amount of salt and that usually works out well for me. I generally do with with most cookbooks.  On the other hand, someone in the Facebook said Vivian's recipes were under seasoned with respect to salt and she routinely doubled the salt!

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said: