• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Duvel

Duvel

10 hours ago, HungryChris said:

Well, it's been just about 3 weeks and it's time for an update.  Right after I took this pic, I took it out of the cryovac, trimmed a bit of fat off the bottom.

IMG_0226 - Copy.JPG

Mixed up the brine (6 cups of water and 1 1/2 cup of Tender Quick, put the beef in the brine and injected it well, all over.

IMG_0228 - Copy.JPG

Added some bay leaves, rosemary, black peppercorns, hot sauce and held it submerged with a dish, covered it and put it in the fridge for 3 weeks.

IMG_0230 - Copy.JPG

In the past, I would braise it for about 3 hours, but this time I put in the IP with 2 cups of water, a splash of cider vinegar, more bay leaves, raw onions and unpeeled garlic. Cooked it for 90 minutes and released the pressure after 10 minutes. I ran it under cold water to get it cool enough to handle and the skin slipped off in one big piece. Then it went into the fridge to cool. It is much easier to slice when cold.

IMG_0404.JPG

Well, of course, I had to make a sandwich. I went for a Reuben.

IMG_0406.JPG

IMG_0410.JPG

It just doesn't get much better than that!

HC

HCIMG_0409.JPG

Wow. Three weeks curing time ... How did you come up with that time ?

Duvel

Duvel

10 hours ago, HungryChris said:

Well, it's been just about 3 weeks and it's time for an update.  Right after I took this pic, I took it out of the cryovac, trimmed a bit of fat off the bottom.

IMG_0226 - Copy.JPG

Mixed up the brine (6 cups of water and 1 1/2 cup of Tender Quick, put the beef in the brine and injected it well, all over.

IMG_0228 - Copy.JPG

Added some bay leaves, rosemary, black peppercorns, hot sauce and held it submerged with a dish, covered it and put it in the fridge for 3 weeks.

IMG_0230 - Copy.JPG

In the past, I would braise it for about 3 hours, but this time I put in the IP with 2 cups of water, a splash of cider vinegar, more bay leaves, raw onions and unpeeled garlic. Cooked it for 90 minutes and released the pressure after 10 minutes. I ran it under cold water to get it cool enough to handle and the skin slipped off in one big piece. Then it went into the fridge to cool. It is much easier to slice when cold.

IMG_0404.JPG

Well, of course, I had to make a sandwich. I went for a Reuben.

IMG_0406.JPG

IMG_0410.JPG

It just doesn't get much better than that!

HC

HCIMG_0409.JPG

Wow. Three weeks during time ... How did you come up with that time ?