• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

7 minutes ago, PatrickT said:

Mixed up a batch with 50g of discard this morning. One more set of stretches and folds before going in the fridge.

I’m also baking half of yesterday’s yeasted dough layer today as a small boulle and will do the same tomorrow with the sourdough batch to compare the two. 

Looking forward to seeing today's bake.

• Thanks 1

Looks great @Ann_T

I try feeding and baking with my sourdough starter every week or so. I’ve settled on 70% bread flour and 30% organic dark rye for mine.

I’m with Matt - love a good sourdough pizza crust (or sourdough anything else, for that matter). FoodGeek just posted a vid for sourdough chocolate chip cookies, which actually sounds very interesting. 

12 minutes ago, PatrickT said:

Looks great @Ann_T

I try feeding and baking with my sourdough starter every week or so. I’ve settled on 70% bread flour and 30% organic dark rye for mine.

I’m with Matt - love a good sourdough pizza crust (or sourdough anything else, for that matter). FoodGeek just posted a vid for sourdough chocolate chip cookies, which actually sounds very interesting. 

I must confess, the only reason I even keep my sourdough going is because both Moe and Matt like sourdough.  I like the fact that I "grew" my own starter and that it really is good.  I just don't really care that

much for sourdough. Never have.   

My original starter is always fed with 100% organic rye and bottled water.   And the white one gets fed with the same Silver Star flour I use in my breads.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

This week's kilogram boule.  I increased the mixing to 10 minutes on low and 10 minutes at 3:00, with good results.  Pleased with the crumb.

When you say kg boule, do you mean you use a full 1000g of flour in one loaf?  Or do you get two loaves from a batch of dough made with 1000g of flour?

Both your colour and your crumb are amazing.  I would be very pleased with that crumb.

45 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

When you say kg boule, do you mean you use a full 1000g of flour in one loaf?  Or do you get two loaves from a batch of dough made with 1000g of flour?

Both your colour and your crumb are amazing.  I would be very pleased with that crumb.

Thank you.  One loaf:  600g flour, 412g water.  And I got to use my new peel to put it in the oven.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On 9/12/2022 at 10:40 AM, PatrickT said:

How did you like your sandwiches?

Stumbled across this recipe yesterday, which you also might like to try. It’s supposed to be the closest thing to the Amoroso rolls of Philly Cheese Steak fame. Definitely want to try these, too!

For the most part, edible (lol) seriously, I normally use store bought bread, but I’d love to add some crunch to the bread. The thing is, I make my lunches the night before, and keep them in the fridge at work, so many breads like these Cubans, become harder to eat at lunchtime (not to mention the fillings can slip out near the end.)

• Like 1

@Ann_T Sourdough discard baguettes. This dough sat in the fridge for about 48 hrs.

I am utterly shocked these turned out. LOL When I took the dough out of the fridge, it was flat as a pancake (see pics below) and didn't seem to really rise all that much, even after 6 hrs on the counter. I figured the discard just didn't have enough leavening power and nearly tossed it in the bin. Nevertheless, I could tell the dough was good and gassy when I did the pre-shaping and shaping, so I was hopeful - but wow. This is totally beyond my expectations.

Now let's hope the crumb is equally good! 😃

IMG_2032.jpeg

IMG_2033.jpeg

IMG_2034.jpeg

IMG_2035.jpeg

IMG_2024.jpeg

IMG_2025.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

@PatrickT, you influenced me to start making sourdough bread more often. 

Yesterday morning I fed both starters and used some of the discards to make three bigas.   I made one double biga using the rye starter and one biga using the white discard. 

Last night I made two 500g batches with the rye biga and one batch with the white one.

After the last stretch and folds, the two with the rye biga went into the fridge and I left the one with the white out on the counter for an overnight room temperature fermentation.

563335905_SOURDOUGHWHITEWITHBIGAOVERNIGHTFERMENTATIONSEPTEMBER17TH20221.thumb.jpg.c8d21fc964f016e4aad2eaf6cf776c6d.jpg

Shaped three baguettes around 5:30 AM and the last one was out of the oven around 7:30 AM.

1928324992_SOURDOUGHWHITEWITHBIGAOVERNIGHTFERMENTATIONSEPTEMBER17TH20222.thumb.jpg.3f1f174d4ecd23bdf710113262c51da1.jpg

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, Ann_T said:

you influenced me to start making sourdough bread more often.

Those are every bit as gorgeous as your regular loaves! Wow.

How’s the flavor by comparison (I recall you saying you’re not a fan)?

49 minutes ago, PatrickT said:

How’s the flavor by comparison (I recall you saying you’re not a fan)?

It is definitely a sourdough.  Matt made a Brie sandwich on it for lunch and he said it has a wonderful "tang".

I am interested in seeing the crumb on the next two batches with the longer cold fermentation.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ann_T said:

It is definitely a sourdough.  Matt made a Brie sandwich on it for lunch and he said it has a wonderful "tang".

I am interested in seeing the crumb on the next two batches with the longer cold fermentation.  

During last night's dinner I learned from reading Harold McGee that the sourdough bacillus, Lactobacillus sanfranciscensis, comes from the frass* of flour beetles.

* I learned a new word.

• Like 3

On 9/17/2022 at 6:37 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

During last night's dinner I learned from reading Harold McGee that the sourdough bacillus, Lactobacillus sanfranciscensis, comes from the frass* of flour beetles.

New word for me too.

Pulled the 2nd batch of sourdough out of the fridge before 6:00 PM last night. This one was made from a biga started with 60g of my white starter.
The dough had been in the fridge since Saturday night.
524539538_SourdoughBaguettesdoughbakedSeptember19th20222.thumb.jpg.02d3a17e7338e31143909a8945a086aa.jpg
Shaped and baked four baguettes this morning.
2104484321_SourdoughBaguettesdoughbakedSeptember19th20225.thumb.jpg.788dd5477b9c2bb2d01d03d7e5c125e5.jpg
Moe had leftover roast pork with slices of warmed buttered baguette for breakfast.
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 2

I've been enjoying slices from last week's boule once or twice a day.  Toast with basted eggs this afternoon.  Sadly there is still more than one third left.  The good news is so far it isn't moldy!

• Like 1