• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

Bread03252024.jpg

Crumb03252024.jpg

First pan bread I've baked in about thirty years.  The recipe is White Bread from Ken Forkish's Evolutions in Bread, p87.  I followed the recipe closely -- except I mixed my yeast first with flour as I prefer, and I fell asleep and missed a fold.  I am very pleased.  The bread was much easier than my usual loaves.

Next time I may cut down on the amount of salt.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I recently tried a simple sourdough loaf with 3 changes from my typical process: (1) an overnight BF schedule, (2) adding a bit of honey and olive oil to the dough, and (3) using a cold, month-old starter straight from the fridge without any additional refreshment. Very impressed with the final bake! The overnight schedule is super convenient for me, the honey and olive oil make for a lovely, soft crumb with just a hint of sweetness, and the effectiveness of the old starter straight from the fridge was definitely a surprise.

IMG_7270.jpeg

IMG_7273.jpeg

Edited by PatrickT (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 1

Started two batches of sourdough last night. Both started with levains that had been in the fridge for 3 days. 

One went into the fridge for another day and the other was left out on the counter for a room temperature bulk fermentation.
Had more than doubled by 3:00 AM this morning.
SourdoughbakewithbaguettesandsandwichstyleMarch30th20241.thumb.jpg.4fec6a791ac9150fc675950f12cdaad6.jpg
Baked two baguettes and two loaves in vintage bread pans.
SourdoughbakewithbaguettesandsandwichstyleMarch30th20242.thumb.jpg.ee928668957e6e0d6912d0662761edb2.jpg

I've never baked sourdough in bread pans before.
  • Like 3
  • Delicious 2

On 3/25/2024 at 4:16 PM, PatrickT said:

IMG_7270.jpeg

Now that is a beauty.

I'm always amazed at how a loaf turns out when I do something different, like using a dough that has been in the fridge for a week, or not refreshing the starter.

And then it turns out like that beautiful loaf. Love the crust and the rusticness of it.  I can just imagine how delicious it is. 

• Thanks 1

This dough just kept on giving......
It was started at 4:00 AM Sunday morning with a sourdough Levain.
After the last stretch and fold, I divided it into three pieces. One that was 500g and one that was 350g, both went into different containers, and the remaining dough went into a larger container and into the fridge along with the smaller 350g dough.
The 500g batch was left out on the counter for a room temperature fermentation and Matt made himself a large pizza late afternoon.
The 350g dough got taken out of the fridge at noon and left on the counter until I got home from work and I baked a small pizza in the OONI for Moe and I to share for dinner Sunday night.
That left the large piece, still in the fridge since Sunday.
Matt took it out this morning around 8:00 and cut off another 500g piece and baked himself a pizza around 3:00 PM
BakedApril3rddoughmadeMarch31st4AM.thumb.jpg.59f67471e3cf06f06b1aba5b287335e9.jpg

and I used the remaining dough to make this loaf.
Just out of the oven.

Edited: Moe really wanted a slice of warm bread so I caved and sliced it while it was still warm.
BakedApril3rddoughmadeMarch31st4AMButteredBunny.thumb.jpg.b7df8ca8c18d93d4805be2a219d456b9.jpg
Buttered Bunny!!

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 2
  • Delicious 3
  • Haha 1

I haven't baked bread in decades, but I decided to try my hand at pain de mie. I used a recipe from King Arthur's site and was pretty pleased with it. 

IMG_0712.jpg

I was probably too impatient to slice it, so the crumb is a bit mangled, but I think it's going to be fine.

IMG_0714.jpg

• Like 3
  • Delicious 4

2 hours ago, JAZ said:

the crumb is a bit mangled, but I think it's going to be fine.

I actually like the look of that crumb! Perfect sandwich loaf. How is the taste?

• Like 1

Thanks, @PatrickT. The crumb is exactly what I wanted; I just meant that I sliced into the bread when it was still a bit too warm, so that slice tore a bit. The taste is good, not terribly complex, but perfect for toast, which was my main goal.

IMG_0715.jpg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 4

Baked this Guinness Asiago loaf with Rosemary, Thyme and Sage - absolutely delicious. I love how the little shreds of Asiago turn golden in the toaster. 😃 I ad libbed off this recipe, using an 80/20 mix of bread flour and Khorasan flour and subbing all of the water with Guinness. This one is definitely going on my regular baking rotation. Give it a try!

IMG_7492.jpeg

IMG_7493.jpeg

IMG_7491.jpeg

Edited by PatrickT (log)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

17 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

Side note: Mrs. C does glass fusing, and the plate the loaf is sitting on was one of her recent projects.

Love that plate (as well as the loaf 😉)!

• Thanks 1

I haven't been doing any baking for about the last 3 weeks because of a flare up of tendonitis and carpal tunnel and of course on my right side. But today I managed to make some buns with a Teriyaki flavored filling. Not the best I've ever made but at least I made them. I'm happy.

20240421_122215.thumb.jpg.bc3505c7f8948fa25f9dd8ef8dd5185f.jpg

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I haven't been doing any baking for about the last 3 weeks because of a flare up of tendonitis and carpal tunnel and of course on my right side. But today I managed to make some buns with a Teriyaki flavored filling. Not the best I've ever made but at least I made them. I'm happy.

20240421_122215.thumb.jpg.bc3505c7f8948fa25f9dd8ef8dd5185f.jpg

Those look great. I often change my cooking/baking plans when I am having a "bad wrist day."

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

Those look great. I often change my cooking/baking plans when I am having a "bad wrist day."

And on that note, I have found that good old, stinky Tiger Balm gives me fairly quick and long lasting relief, although it's not a smell that I want to permeate any kind of food and my dog hates the smell, so I usually just apply it at bed time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From last weekend.  Ken Forkish method but steam baked in Anova APO on heavy baking steel, not in a Dutch oven...

Bread04242024.jpg

Crumb04242024.jpg

Slackest dough I've ever tried to work with.  My guess is slightly over proofed.  Scoring was out of the question and I decided to use parchment on the peel.  Excellent flavor.  I've found it's easier for me to mix by hand than wrestling with the machine(s).

Also got to try out new proofing box.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou