• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

mgaretz

mgaretz

1 hour ago, demiglace said:

So I Googled El Polo Loco chicken and it says it's fired grilled. Are there specific spices that it is cooked with? Looks great!

Yes.  According to the "official" recipe it's marinated in pineapple juice, vinegar, lime juice, oil, fresh garlic, oregano, finely ground chile, salt, pepper and yellow food coloring.  I marinate overnight and I substitute a 50/50 blend of orange and pineapple juice for the straight pineapple juice and some sriracha for the ground chile.  They grill it on an open flame grill (gas) and the chickens are cut in half when grilled, then chopped into breast/wing/thigh/drumstick after cooking.  These days I buy the breasts and thighs in the "value pack" when they are on sale, portion them into double meal sizes (2 breasts, 4 thighs), seal them with the marinade on a low vacuum setting on my chamber sealer (because I want the marinade to be able to move) and marinate in the fridge, turning every so often.  Then I cook one pack and freeze the remaining pack or packs.  The double meal size gives us leftovers for the next night.

I cook them on my pellet grill at 425F for about 45 minutes and I don't turn them during cooking.  If anyone wants the recipe measurements, I am glad to post them.

mgaretz

mgaretz

1 hour ago, demiglace said:

So I Googled El Polo Loco chicken and it says it's fired grilled. Are there specific spices that it is cooked with? Looks great!

Yes.  According to the "official" recipe it's marinated in pineapple juice, vinegar, lime juice, oil, fresh garlic, oregano, finely ground chile, salt, pepper and yellow food coloring.  I marinate overnight and I substitute a 50/50 blend of orange and pineapple juice for the straight pineapple juice and some sriracha for the ground chile.  They grill it on an open flame grill (gas) and the chickens are cut in half when grilled, then chopped into breast/wing/thigh/drumstick after cooking.  These days I buy the breasts and thighs in the "value pack" when they are on sale, portion them into double meal sizes (2 breasts, 4 thighs), seal them on a low vacuum setting on my chamber sealer (because I want the marinade to be able to move) and marinate in the fridge, turning every so often.  Then I cook one pack and freeze the remaining pack or packs.  The double meal size gives us leftovers for the next night.

I cook them on my pellet grill at 425F for about 45 minutes and I don't turn them during cooking.  If anyone wants the recipe measurements, I am glad to post them.