• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh scallops in the shell

Dennis1404

How to best keep the scallops fresh for one day? My scallops will arive alive, in the shell, this afternoon and I have dinner this saturday in the evening. How do I keep them alive and fresh? Or should I open and clean them and then keep refrigerated? Or clean them, vacuum seal and putting them in the freezer?

I have never been lucky enough to be able to purchase live scallops in the shell. It's illegal in most places in the USA to even bring them in on the boats that way because they are so perishable once out of the sea. I keep live oysters, clams or mussels in the fridge for a few days, but that seems not to be the advice for scallops.

• "How to tell if a scallop is still alive…
  • Live scallops will have their shell at least slightly opened. They should close at least slightly when pinched or tapped on the counter. Scallops really should be cleaned as soon as possible, as opposed to keeping them alive until just before you cook them. If you must keep them in the shell for a day, put them on a tray in your refrigerator and cover them with a damp cloth."

Above quote is from the SaltChef website here

There is also information on this website on storing live scallops in the shell.

If you do wind up shucking and freezing them, that reddish-orange stuff in there (if any) is roe, and should be either frozen (I have no idea if it freezes well) or what I would do is cook it up fresh in butter for cook's treat and freeze the abductor muscles for your dinner on Saturday.

If you do not mind saying, @Dennis1404, where are you that you can mail order this delicacy, and where can others of us get some? :)

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes (log)

> ^ . . ^ <

9 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I have never been lucky enough to be able to purchase live scallops in the shell. It's illegal in most places in the USA to even bring them in on the boats that way because they are so perishable once out of the sea. I keep live oysters, clams or mussels in the fridge for a few days, but that seems not to be the advice for scallops.

• "How to tell if a scallop is still alive…
  • Live scallops will have their shell at least slightly opened. They should close at least slightly when pinched or tapped on the counter. Scallops really should be cleaned as soon as possible, as opposed to keeping them alive until just before you cook them. If you must keep them in the shell for a day, put them on a tray in your refrigerator and cover them with a damp cloth."

Above quote is from the SaltChef website here

There is also information on this website on storing live scallops in the shell.

If you do wind up shucking and freezing them, that reddish-orange stuff in there (if any) is roe, and should be either frozen (I have no idea if it freezes well) or what I would do is cook it up fresh in butter for cook's treat and freeze the abductor muscles for your dinner on Saturday.

If you do not mind saying, @Dennis1404, where are you that you can mail order this delicacy, and where can others of us get some? :)

You can buy the alive in Holland :) But they aren't alive anymore (they should).. When I knock the shell it remains open. Ok to eat tomorrow ? I keep them in the shell in the fridge with a damp cloth on top. Hope that will be ok

11 hours ago, Dennis1404 said:

You can buy the alive in Holland :) But they aren't alive anymore (they should).. When I knock the shell it remains open. Ok to eat tomorrow ? I keep them in the shell in the fridge with a damp cloth on top. Hope that will be ok

As I said, I have no experience with the live version of scallops. I am definitely not the one to ask whether what you plan is safe. The consequences, as you probably already know, can be very high with spoiled shellfish.

I do know your procedure is not recommended and that I, personally, always err on the side of caution and safety when handling, cooking and serving shellfish, especially to guests. I would freeze the abductors immediately, save the shells, wash them well. You can run them through a dishwasher if you have one. Thaw scallops in cold water the day of, cook and serve on the shells for a festive look. Good luck, be safe and have fun!

Please report back on whatever you decide to do.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

I don't see the point of freezing them overnight.  Yes, you may want to shuck them and trim off the roe if they are not still fully alive, but scallop meat should keep (well chilled of course) for a few days.  Why spend the money on fresh if you're going to freeze them and potentially affect the texture?

45 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

I don't see the point of freezing them overnight.  Yes, you may want to shuck them and trim off the roe if they are not still fully alive, but scallop meat should keep (well chilled of course) for a few days.  Why spend the money on fresh if you're going to freeze them and potentially affect the texture?

Normally, I'd agree, pastrygirl. It would hurt me to do it, too. But fresh, live scallops are not even allowed to be brought in to shore here in that form because of their extreme perishability. Perhaps, as you say, that diminishes once you separate the abductors from the roe. I have never seen frozen scallop roe on offer here anywhere, and if it were a viable product, I'm confident it would be.

Also, @Dennis1404's plan is to keep them intact in the shells. Prevailing wisdom says no. Also, perhaps the prevailing wisdom to separate the abductor from the roe immediately on the boat might affect the fridge shelf life of said abductors and make it longer than those that have been out of the water for three (or more?) days and not shucked/separated.

Here is what our member @johnnyd, who has a licence to harvest scallops in the cold waters of Maine has to say on the matter, and here's  another and another. I would love to be convinced that this is another example of government overreach and anyone who knows me is aware that I am certain the government is not our friend.

Still, I must err of the side of caution when it comes to food safety. The consequences are too high for me, and I see no possible ulterior motive in this instance on the govt's part.

> ^ . . ^ <

All three of those links say the muscle has a longer shelf life, and I would certainly hope that a commercial seller is not harvesting from waters where PSP is an issue. I do remember seeing scallops in the shell with roe once in

restaurant kitchens but I don't know where they would have come from or recall how they were stored. 

If Dennis lives through tonight, I'd love to hear how dinner turned out!  

• Like 2

In Florida there are a few bays on the gulf coast where recreational scalloping is permitted (once you buy a license of course).  The two month season is popular across the state, especially among younger folks.  The scallops are harvested by snorkeling, lots of snorkeling.  There are harvest limits per person on the boat, if I recall correctly a limit is 5 gallons of in the shell or 1 quart shucked.  I used to participate more actively but now when I can go I stay in the boat and act as a limit extender / shucker..

Most people shuck the scallops on the boat.  It minimizes the mess and more scallops are allowed when shucked.  They are put in quart containers and kept in a cooler. Best to use them that day or the next.  Or freeze them.

Unshucked scallops will last longer. They are kept in a 5 gallon bucket on the boat and then transferred to a cooler when ashore.  Kept on ice with a drain plug so that they are not in water, they will last a couple three days before they need to be shucked and eaten or frozen.  

To the OPs question (realizing its probably obe by now) I would keep them in the packaging they arrive in adding ice as appropriate.  Shuck them the morning of use.  Keep them cold until they go into the skillet.

This reminds me that scallops are in season now.  May have to go.

• Like 4