• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Create my meal – the game

sartoric

13 hours ago, Bhukhhad said:

I like this topic! Whats next? Please keep posting.

I like this topic too! It's a lot of fun. Can't offer any information as to sourcing British bacon rashers, because I'm not sure what they are even after visiting gfweb's link.

I can tell you what's next. The OP, sartoric, is up next, and she's going to do a shop on Tuesday and post her list of ingredients after she does.

As to @gfweb's suggestion to just jump in and post your own list of ingredients, I did make a suggestion about that upthread, and the OP did "Like" my post but never gave a specific green light on it, so I am not sure that is within her rules. It would be great with me if it was, because I saw it as a way to move the thread forward at a faster pace and allow more people with interesting ingredients on hand and a willingness to cook soon to participate. I also think it might work better with the creative spirits who populate the forum.

It's @sartoric's thread, though, so she will have to be the one who makes the call.

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

1 hour ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I like this topic too! It's a lot of fun. Can't offer any information as to sourcing British bacon rashers, because I'm not sure what they are even after visiting gfweb's link.

I can tell you what's next. The OP, sartoric, is up next, and she's going to do a shop on Tuesday and post her list of ingredients after she does.

As to @gfweb's suggestion to just jump in and post your own list of ingredients, I did make a suggestion about that upthread, and the OP did "Like" my post but never gave a specific green light on it, so I am not sure that is within her rules. It would be great with me if it was, because I saw it as a way to move the thread forward at a faster pace and allow more people with interesting ingredients on hand and a willingness to cook soon to participate. I also think it might work better with the creative spirits who populate the forum.

It's @sartoric's thread, though, so she will have to be the one who makes the call.

I started this thread, but don't feel the need to own it. I'm happy for others to jump in, post a list and get suggestions.

I can't see any reason why we can't have simultaneous challenges going.... what do other participants think ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sartoric said:

I started this thread, but don't feel the need to own it. I'm happy for others to jump in, post a list and get suggestions.

I can't see any reason why we can't have simultaneous challenges going.... what do other participants think ?

I think that's fine. I have backed off for a few days to allow others to participate.

• Like 2

I wonder where Australian bacon fits on the scale, similar to British me thinks.

Anyway, here's my list of items.

Chicken - wings and thigh fillets.

Pork - baby back ribs, scotch fillet (that's the neck, boneless), pork and fennel sausages.

Gravy beef (that's the leg, boneless).

Black lip mussels.

Cauliflower

Green beans

Sweet potato

Peas from the garden.

Herbs - I have mint, Vietnamese mint, curry leaves, kaffir lime leaves, garlic chives, parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, bay leaves, marjoram and spring onions growing.

Hit me !

Edited by sartoric
Edit to add herbs (log)
  • Like 2

Hmmm, going down like a lead balloon here.

The pork scotch fillet is long digested, a fantastic cut for a long slow braise, it was very tender. Details are on the dinner thread. The ribs are destined for tonight, as are the green beans. 

I'll cook on Saturday, so a helping hand is available :)

• Like 3

Ok, how about a trip to Italy!

antipasto: cauliflower refrigerator pickles, plus toss in a few olives, maybe a few chunks of mozzerella, maybe some toasts with different spreads like pesto

primo: risotto with peas (or make a pasta with peas)

secunda: sausages (or maybe the chicken roasted with herbs and lemons)

contorno: butter braised spring onions with chives

ensalata: herb salad, get a little lettuce and add a ton of chopped herbs and a simple vinaigrette

formaggi e frutta: a little fruit and cheese to end it

-might not need dolce, but, if you have cookies or something, serve them with coffee

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Lisa Shock said:

antipasto: cauliflower refrigerator pickles, plus toss in a few olives, maybe a few chunks of mozzerella, maybe some toasts with different spreads like pesto

ensalata: herb salad, get a little lettuce and add a ton of chopped herbs and a simple vinaigrette

-might not need dolce, but, if you have cookies or something, serve them with coffee

Do you have to make ALL these items or just a couple of them? Sounds delicious! 

• Like 1

Could one pick just a few ingredients from the list? Tell me if this is ok to try: 

1. Nargisi Kofta with the pork fennel saussage filling inside. 

2. Cauliflower and peas sabji

3. Roti or Naan

4. Rice optional or small salad

Bhukhhad

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Lisa Shock said:

Wow, this reminds me so much of the dinners hosted by various elderly Italian relatives. It was always a marathon 5 or 6 hour effort, and that's just the eating. I'm curious about the cauliflower fridge pickles, could you elaborate ?

i should have said the peas got et on Wednesday night, bummer, and our spring onions are nearing the end of the season, I'd be lucky to find one as thick as a pencil, they're more like large chives :)

Some good ideas here @Lisa Shock, thanks.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Bhukhhad said:

Could one pick just a few ingredients from the list? Tell me if this is ok to try: 

1. Nargisi Kofta with the pork fennel saussage filling inside. 

2. Cauliflower and peas sabji

3. Roti or Naan

4. Rice optional or small salad

Bhukhhad

Thanks @Bhukhhad, I love Indian food and welcome your suggestions. He who also eats at this house is not quite so enamoured, I must therefore be careful not to overload him. I'll be cooking for two visitors from Myanmar on Monday night, many elements of India in their cuisine.

• Like 3

I suggested the pickles, since you said you wouldn't be cooking for a few days and they are better a couple of days in. HERE's a decent recipe. My family would actually change the liquid to an oil/vinegar vinaigrette dressing with herbs the day before serving.

I didn't think the menu would be that difficult. The sausages need very little attention while cooking, the salad is very easy, and the braised onions are pretty quick as well. But, with many ingredients gone, much of this needs reworking.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sartoric said:

Thanks @Bhukhhad, I love Indian food and welcome your suggestions. He who also eats at this house is not quite so enamoured, I must therefore be careful not to overload him. I'll be cooking for two visitors from Myanmar on Monday night, many elements of India in their cuisine.

@Sartoric, 

am I expected to cook what I write here as an example menu? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lisa Shock said:

I suggested the pickles, since you said you wouldn't be cooking for a few days and they are better a couple of days in. HERE's a decent recipe. My family would actually change the liquid to an oil/vinegar vinaigrette dressing with herbs the day before serving.

I didn't think the menu would be that difficult. The sausages need very little attention while cooking, the salad is very easy, and the braised onions are pretty quick as well. But, with many ingredients gone, much of this needs reworking.

Thanks for the pickle recipe, he who must be fed loves giardinara. 

1 hour ago, Bhukhhad said:

@Sartoric, 

am I expected to cook what I write here as an example menu? 

Not exactly. Have a read of the original post on page one, that should make it clear :)

• Like 1

An Italian feast inspired by @Lisa Shock.

Antipasto - a few home grown/cured olives, spears of pickled cucumber, some prosciutto, slices of mozzarella and olive sourdough.  Teaser photo above.

Main course - baked chicken thighs with sage, wrapped in prosciutto and simmered in white wine to make a sauce, served over creamy mozzarella potato puree.
Olive sourdough to mop.

image.jpeg

Contorno- two mushrooms (rehydrated porcini and fresh button) sautéed in butter with garlic and thyme. 

image.jpeg

Ensalata - rucola from the garden simply dressed with salt, pepper, EVOO and balsamic vinegar plus a few shavings of parmesan.

image.jpeg

Followed by squares of Lindt chocolate with lime zest.

image.jpeg

A delicious meal (cheeky grin).

Lisa, feel free to delegate if it suits you better, otherwise, list please !

image.jpeg

• Like 12

I will take the challenge, I can cook tomorrow night (Sunday).

Here is my list (I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian):

broccoli

onions (white & red and garlic, fresh chives)

celery

russet potatoes

cheese: swiss, mozzarella, parmesean

eggs

limes

raw peanuts (I make my own peanut butter as needed.)

firm tofu

NM green chiles, roasted

I have a pretty extensive pastry-making pantry with several types of flour, syrups, butters, craisins, raisins, candied fruit, etc. I also have many pantry staples like dry beans, rices, cornmeal, semolina flour, noodles (asian and italian), and canned goods.

Feel free to ask if I have a pantry item. I am willing to make bread.

• Like 3

1. Broccoli and Onion Pakoras with garbanzo bean flour and spices. If instead you make this like tempuras then egg will be used in the batter otherwise I forgot the egg.

2. Roasted russet potato with sour cream and cheese with chives. Like a potato salad. 

3. Caramelized tofu with Bok choi 

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/caramelized-spicy-tofu-recipe.html 

4. Brown rice steamed with some stirfried bean sprouts, crushed peanuts and lime juice like a pad thai but with rice. Oh maybe egg can be used here?

Big caveat: I have never made any of these dishes. But I did read the NYTimes caramelised Tofu recipe that I have shared here. And since I like Pad thai I have thought about Pad Thai rice in case there is such a thing... 

And I love both pakoras and tempuras so this version could go either way. 

But this menu still does no justice to a baker. That should be things like souffles and tarts and pies. 

Bhukhhad

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Lisa Shock said:

I will take the challenge, I can cook tomorrow night (Sunday).

Here is my list (I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian):

broccoli

onions (white & red and garlic, fresh chives)

celery

russet potatoes

cheese: swiss, mozzarella, parmesean

eggs

limes

raw peanuts (I make my own peanut butter as needed.)

firm tofu

NM green chiles, roasted

I have a pretty extensive pastry-making pantry with several types of flour, syrups, butters, craisins, raisins, candied fruit, etc. I also have many pantry staples like dry beans, rices, cornmeal, semolina flour, noodles (asian and italian), and canned goods.

Feel free to ask if I have a pantry item. I am willing to make bread.

The first thing that springs to my mind is a kind of gado gado with potato, tofu, celery, hard boiled eggs and peanut dressing. I'll keep thinking !

• Like 1

Wow Sartoric

I had never heard of Gado Gado and the first search brought up Jamie Oliver's recipe of Goegeous Gado Gado. If it comes through this link you will see why I was so impressed. It looks like you found a dish that has everything on the list. And looks delicious! 

Yumm! 
Bhukhhad

Sent from my iPhone
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bhukhhad said:

Wow Sartoric

I had never heard of Gado Gado and the first search brought up Jamie Oliver's recipe of Goegeous Gado Gado. If it comes through this link you will see why I was so impressed. It looks like you found a dish that has everything on the list. And looks delicious! 

Try looking up some of the Malay and Indonesian recipes for gado-gado, rather than something interpreted by an English chef. The dish has been around for a very long time. Mind you, when I ate it while growing up I thought it not that utterly different from plain ol' rojak and didn't particularly seek it out... (and the images of "rojak' on Google don't look all that much like what I grew up with, at least not the ones with TONS of crushed peanuts dumped on it)

• Like 3