• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Deryn

Deryn

There is often something 'magical' about a trip to Europe, especially if it is your first time. And for many, there is a built-in mystique about Paris no doubt (though personally I would rather ramble the countryside of France and skip Paris entirely). One is bound to both feel and see some differences in the culture and the food - especially if you are smart enough not to stay at the 'Ritz' and eat at Mickey D's (in which case, why leave home?). The 'differences' from one's everyday life no doubt cloud perception to some extent. One's senses are heightened in a foreign land and I am sure in the backs of our minds at least it is difficult not to compare it to what we know about 'back home'. At any rate, there IS that bias to overcome.

Globalism is taking its toll everywhere however. We are witnessing the homogenization of the world in process. I fear the 'Paris' of today will not exist much longer. (As ElainaA says - check the grocery stores for processed foods! :().

We are beyond fusion now - at least in North America and I think it is probably sneaking up to that point in many countries around the world. I wish in 'levelling the playing field' that the powers that be would aim for excellence, but, they are quite satisfied for most of us to have mediocrity unfortunately.

I am happy I won't live long enough (I hope) to really see that process completed. But, while I am here, I will rage, rage, rage against the night and feel fortunate that I know what to look for and/or how to grow and cook the most wholesome, fresh, tasty foods I can. If I want to, I can produce in my own kitchen most of the foods (or very close facsimiles) that distinguish Paris or Thailand or Japan or Israel or Holland or Greece or ... you name it. The ambience will probably not be as perfect a replica but .. I came for the food. :) 

Deryn

Deryn

There is often something 'magical' about a trip to Europe, especially if it is your first time. And for many, there is a built-in mystique about Paris no doubt (though personally I would rather ramble the countryside of France and skip Paris entirely). One is bound to both feel and see some differences in the culture and the food - especially if you are smart enough not to stay at the 'Ritz' and eat at Mickey D's (in which case, why leave home?). The 'differences' from one's everyday life no doubt cloud perception to some extent. One's senses are heightened in a foreign land and I am sure in the backs of our minds at least it is difficult not to compare it to what we know about 'back home'. At any rate, there IS that bias to overcome.

Globalism is taking its toll everywhere however. We are witnessing the homogenization of the world in process. I fear the 'Paris' of today will not exist much longer. (As ElainaA says - check the grocery stores for processed foods! :().

We are beyond fusion now - at least in North America and I think it is probably sneaking up to that point in many countries around the world. I wish in 'levelling the playing field' that the powers that be would aim for excellence, but, they are quite satisfied for most of us to have mediocrity unfortunately. I am happy I won't live long enough (I hope) to really see that process completed. But, while I am here, I will rage, rage, rage against the night and feel fortunate that I know what to look for and/or how to grow and cook the most wholesome, fresh, tasty foods I can. If I want to, I can produce in my own kitchen most of the foods (or very close facsimiles) that distinguish Paris or Thailand or Japan or Israel or Holland or Greece or ... you name it. The ambience will probably not be as perfect a replica but .. I came for the food. :)