• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BonVivant

BonVivant

8 hours ago, Ashen said:

I would be tempted to say it might be a half sour pickle but generally half sours have a more vibrant green skin and closer to white interior, as you can see in the google image link that follows.    If you hit another deli and see half sours on the menu , grab a plate and try them. They have a more fresh cucumber vibe to them.  A good half sour is my favourite pickle at a good deli.  I will order a plate of them to go with my smoked meat sandie. 

https://www.google.ca/search?q=half+sour+pickles+with+montreal+smoked+meat+sandwich&client=opera&hs=1Kb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj_6-PXvK3PAhXCeD4KHZzyAHUQ_AUICCgB&biw=1920&bih=970#tbm=isch&q=half+sour+pickles

Thanks. This looks more like something I'd like. Will be checking out Schwartz's and ordering extra gherkins.

-----

ElsieD: If you have time, the Jean Talon market is worth a look, especially the stores around the perimeter.  If you are a pastry person, Patisserie au Kouign Amann has excellent ones.  

I have been to both Jean Talon and Atwater. Both are wonderful markets, Atwater is less "atmospheric" after having been to Jean Talon on a sunday. I cried many invisible tears! My food hell doesn't have such (super)markets (I go to France or Spain for that)!

Moving on to the next town tomorrow but I will be back in Montreal for a few days before my return flight. Still have a couple of beer and food places to try. I hope it gets colder by then... it's been so hot, especially when riding the tube around town.

PS: Thank you, Rotuts.

BonVivant

BonVivant

8 hours ago, Ashen said:

I would be tempted to say it might be a half sour pickle but generally half sours have a more vibrant green skin and closer to white interior, as you can see in the google image link that follows.    If you hit another deli and see half sours on the menu , grab a plate and try them. They have a more fresh cucumber vibe to them.  A good half sour is my favourite pickle at a good deli.  I will order a plate of them to go with my smoked meat sandie. 

https://www.google.ca/search?q=half+sour+pickles+with+montreal+smoked+meat+sandwich&client=opera&hs=1Kb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj_6-PXvK3PAhXCeD4KHZzyAHUQ_AUICCgB&biw=1920&bih=970#tbm=isch&q=half+sour+pickles

Thanks. This looks more like something I'd like. Will be checking out Schwartz's and ordering extra gherkins.

-----

ElsieD: If you have time, the Jean Talon market is worth a look, especially the stores around the perimeter.  If you are a pastry person, Patisserie au Kouign Amann has excellent ones.  

I have been to both Jean Talon and Atwater. Both are wonderful markets, Atwater is less "atmospheric" after having been to Jean Talon on a sunday. I cried many invisible tears! My food hell doesn't have such (super)markets (I go to France or Spain for that)!

Moving on to the next town tomorrow but I will be back in Montreal for a few days before my return flight. Still have a couple of beer and food places to try. I hope it gets colder by then... it's been so hot, especially when riding the tube around town.

BonVivant

BonVivant

7 hours ago, Ashen said:

Thanks. This looks more like something I'd like. Will be checking out Schwartz's and order extra gherkins.

-----