• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

My son married a lovely young lady from Yakeshi, Inner Mongolia, China.   Mongolian: ᠶᠠᠠᠠᠰᠢ ᠬᠣᠲᠠ (Ягши хот); Chinese: 牙克石; pinyin: Yákèshí

We had a wedding in the US but her family also wanted to have a traditional wedding in China.  DH and I have never being to China so this was an exciting opportunity for us!  We spent a few days in Beijing doing touristy stuff and then flew to Hailar.  There is only one flight a day on Air China that we took at 6 in the morning.  Yakeshi is about an hour drive from Hailar on a beautiful toll road with no cars on it.  I wish we took pictures of free roaming sheep and cows along the way.  The original free range meat.

The family met us at the airport.  We were greeted with a shot of a traditional Chinese spirit from a traditional leather vessel.  Nothing says welcome like a stiff drink at 9 AM.  We were supposed to have a three shots (may be they were joking) but family took pity on us and limited it to one only.

150527 034 InLaws Mongolian Flask.JPG150527 046 Lunch Booze.JPG

Edited by chefmd (log)
  • Like 8

We checked into local hotel and took a short walk to in-laws apartment which is only a couple of blocks away.  Both parents work for the local government and have lived in Yakeshi all their life so we got a five star treatment at the hotel and everywhere else in town.

In laws building

150527 032 InLaws Building.JPG

Welcome snacks.  I am from Russia and my son was born there so our hosts provided us with plethora of Chinese and Russian snacks.  Yakeshi is rather close to Russian border so it is easy to get that stuff.  Bride and groom are going to have Russian candies as party favors.  Far left bag contains extremely addictive sunflower seeds coated in some tasty substance.  I had to be physically removed from it to stop eating.  Very delicate green tea was flowing freely.  Fortunately we did not have to do any more shots.

150527 037 InLaws Snacks.JPG

• Like 8

In-laws have two refrigerators and a chest freezer.  Refrigerators are decorated the same way they are in Russia with very thoughtfully chosen beautiful items.

150527 039 InLaws Refrigerator 1.JPG

Freezer is full of home made dumplings some of which will make an appearance at lunch in a local restaurant later that day.

150527 038 InLaws Dumpling Freezer.JPG

• Like 7

Local market is a very happening place.   I was insanely jealous to see the variety of food that is not available to me in the US.

Fresh unpasteurized milk.

150527 011 Yakeshi Market Milk Truck.JPG

Green eggs.  Just add ham.

150527 012 Yakeshi Market Green Eggs.JPG

Dried food

150527 013 Yakeshi Market Store Dmitri.JPG

Mushrooms, glorious mushrooms

150527 014 Yakeshi Market Store Mushrooms.JPG

• Like 13

More market pictures.

Fresh noodles.

150527 016 Yakeshi Market Noodles.JPG

Peppers

150527 017 Yakeshi Market Peppers.JPG

Meat and offal.  People were happy to pose for our pictures.

150527 018 Yakeshi Market Butcher Meat.JPG

150527 019 Yakeshi Market Butcher Parts.JPG

Ferns and wild greens

150527 020 Yakeshi Market .JPG

• Like 15

And even more market pictures.

Fruits

150527 023 Yakeshi Market Fruit.JPG

Ginger as big as my hand

150527 025 Yakeshi Market Ginger Garlic.JPG

Fish

150527 024 Yakeshi Market Fish.JPG

Tomatoes

150527 026 Yakeshi Market Tomatoes.JPG

Rice and corn 

150527 027 Yakeshi Market Cornmeal Rice.JPG

Dried fish

150527 031 Yakeshi Market Dried Fish.JPG

• Like 12

Will keep posting later.  It is 8 AM here and Internet suddenly became very slow.  Here is a picture of the restaurant where we had lunch.

150527 041 Lunch Entrance.JPG

150527 042 Lunch Veg.JPG

• Like 11

What beautiful produce and food!  What a lovely welcome!

The refrigerator decoration, although far prettier than my assortment of magnets and notes, looks a bit obstructed for opening and closing.  If it had a cloth covering like that in my house, it would discourage people opening and raiding the refrigerator, and we'd claim that it was to encourage our diets. ;) I suppose they just flip back the part that covers the door?

• Like 3

Fascinating, thank you so much!  

• Like 3

@Smithy

i agree that refrigerator decor is impractical.  It is located in living room though and kinda matches the decor.

• Like 3

Red is a lucky colour, isn't it? :)

Congratulations to you and your family on your son's marriage. And even more congratulations to the bride and groom. I wish them a long and happy union. What a wonderful occasion for you all - and for us since you have chosen to let us in on it all via your pictorial tour. Thank you.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chefmd said:

We were supposed to have a three shots (may be they were joking) but family took pity on us and limited it to one only.

They weren't joking! It is customary to have three. I can't bear the stuff myself.

Your green eggs are duck eggs. Interesting to see that they are priced by number. Down here in the south they are sold by weight. They come in various shades from white, through green to blue.

I enjoying seeing China through your eyes. Looking forward to the next instalment.

• Like 7

Congratulations to you and all of your family, the bride and her family. Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to share your experiences in China with us here.

I have never seen so many fiddleheads together in one place as those portrayed in the bag you photographed. Perhaps the most covet-worthy thing of many in your post.

8 hours ago, chefmd said:

The family met us at the airport.  We were greeted with a shot of a traditional Chinese spirit from a traditional leather vessel.  Nothing says welcome like a stiff drink at 9 AM.  We were supposed to have a three shots (may be they were joking) but family took pity on us and limited it to one only.

150527 034 InLaws Mongolian Flask.JPG

The Greeks also use pitch coated leather wine skins, and I have partaken from them. Hard to keep sanitary, IMO, but my first (Greek descent) husband was insistent about using his. Very nice depiction of a horse on the one you showed. The Chinese have a very distinctive way of portraying horses in their art. @chefmd, What is that bent metallic-looking bar that runs across the horse's face? The Greek version has nothing like that.

Three shots at 9:00 AM? :wacko: Yikes!

6 hours ago, Smithy said:

The refrigerator decoration, although far prettier than my assortment of magnets and notes, looks a bit obstructed for opening and closing.  If it had a cloth covering like that in my house, it would discourage people opening and raiding the refrigerator, and we'd claim that it was to encourage our diets. ;) I suppose they just flip back the part that covers the door?

The thing is Chinese people seldom actually use their fridges in the way we do in the west, so any inconvenience is minimised. At best there may be a few leftovers from last night. Often the fridge is empty.

Freezing dumplings is more common. Go into a Chinese supermarket. There is very little frozen food on sale (mostly dumplings) and even when people do buy say frozen meat or fish, they eat it that day so it is immediately left to defrost without ever visiting their own freezer compartments.

Fridge/freezers are still very much status symbols and are usually parked in the sitting room (often opposite the front door) so that visitors can't miss them. I don't think I've ever seen a fridge in the kitchen of a Chinese home.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 11

Congratulations to the bride and groom! Look forward to seeing more pictures :)

• Like 1

@Thanks for the Crepes I do not know what the metal bar is for.  Possibly for holding the vessel.  I did not get a good look at it.  

@liuzhou  Will try to take a look inside the refrigerator if we will go to the apartment again.  Now I am curious if there is food in it.  In Russia refrigerators are usually packed chock full.  It is dangerous to open the door cause the food may start falling out.

• Like 6

OK, back at the computer.

This was yesterday's lunch. 

Local beer is very light and goes real well with salty foods.  And it flows freely during the meal.

160527 045 Lunch Beer Mama.JPG

Tofu noodles.  Probably my favorite dish.  I did not know that you could make noodles from tofu.

160527 043 Lunch Tofu Noodles.JPG

Seaweed salad

160527 044 Lunch Seaweed.JPG

Some pickled root.  Tasted like parsnip.

160527 047 Lunch Pickled Root.JPG

• Like 7

More lunch dishes

Whole fish

160527 048 Lunch Fish.JPG

Deep fried eggplant stuffed with pork

160527 049 Lunch Fried Eggplant Pork.JPG

Nice salad that is hiding glass noodles on the bottom

160527 050 Lunch Glass Noodle Salad.JPG

Deep fried pork and peppers.  This one was not sweet.

160527 051 Lunch Savory Pork.JPG

Sweet and sour pork.  Because you can never eat enough pork :)

160527 053 Lunch Sweet and Sour Pork.JPG

• Like 12

thank you for sharing your trip.

very interesting.

"Lettuce wraps" made with shiso leafs.  At least I think those were shiso.  Way better than lettuce.  And easier to fold.

160527 052 Lunch Lettuce Wrap Pork.JPG

Potato dish.  Potatoes were somewhat al denter to my surprise but that is how it is supposed to be cooked.

160527 056 Lunch Potato.JPG

Home made dumplings that were boiled at the restaurant.  Did I mention that my in-laws know everyone in town?

160527 054 Lunch Dumplings Lamb.JPG

And dessert was fried dough covered in melted sugar.  Our hosts dipped it in beer.  I tried dipping it and it was not bad at all.

160527 057 Lunch Chinese Donuts.JPG

• Like 9

There were only eight people at lunch.  I really hope that left overs were taken home.  We left a little early to go back to the hotel since family had to plan the wedding.  The amount of food served was beyond generous.

• Like 3

It does look like a great spread and far more food than 8 people could eat!  The last photo of your first post in the set has food labeled as "Some pickled root. Tasted like parsnip.". It looks like it has a coating, as though it was also fried.  Do you remember whether it was?

• Like 1

Yesterday's dinner was at the restaurant where we cooked part of the meal on the grill.  The other part came pre-cooked.

There were few plates on the table when we arrived.

160527 059 Dinner Appetizers.JPG

A very bad picture of a robot that delivered a couple of plates.  It was mostly for show since waiters delivered majority of the food.

160527 060 Dinner Robot.JPG

Different spices and sauces for dipping

160527 061 Dinner Sauces.JPG

• Like 5

• Similar Content

• By KennethT
      OK, I'm back, by popular demand! hehe....  After being back for 2 days, I'm still struggling with crazy jetlag and exhaustion - so please bear with me!

This year, for our Asian adventure, we went to Bali, which for those who don't know, is one of the islands in Indonesia.  Bali is a very unique place - from its topology, to the people, language, customs, religion and food.  Whereas the majority of people in Indonesia are Muslim, most people in Bali are Balinese Hindu, which from what I understand is a little like Indian Hinduism, but has more ancestor worship.  Religion is very important to many people in Bali - there are temples everywhere, and at least in one area, there are religious processions through the street practically every day - but we'll get to that later.

Bali has some food unique to it among its Indonesian neighbors, but like everywhere, has seen quite a bit of immigration from other Indonesian islands (many from Java, just to the west) who have brought their classic dishes with them.

Basically all Indonesians speak Indonesian, or what they call Bahasa Indonesia, or just Bahasa, which, anyone who has read my prior foodblogs wouldn't be surprised to hear that I learned a little bit just before the trip.  Unfortunately, I didn't get to use any of it, except a couple times which were totally unnecessary.  When speaking with each other, most people in Bali speak Balinese (totally different from bahasa) - many times when I tried using my bahasa, they smiled and replied, and then tried to teach me the same phrase in Balinese!  As time went on, and I used some of the Balinese, I got lots of surprised smiles and laughs - who is this white guy speaking Balinese?!?  Seriously though, tourism has been in Bali for a very long time, so just about everyone we encountered spoke English to some degree.  Some people spoke German as well, as they supposedly get lots of tourists from Germany.  As one of our drivers was telling us, Bali is heavily dependent on tourism as they have no real industry other than agriculture, which doesn't pay nearly as well as tourism does.

While there are beaches all around the island, most of the popular beach areas are in the south of the island, and those areas are the most highly touristed.  We spent very little time in the south as we are not really beach people (we get really bored) and during planning, decided to stay in less touristed areas so we'd have more opportunities for local food... this didn't work out, as you'll see later.

So, it wouldn't be a KennethT foodblog without photos in the Taipei airport and I-Mei Dim Sum, which we called home for about 4 hours before our connection to Bali...

Beef noodle soup:

The interior:

This was the same as always - huge pieces of beef were meltingly tender.  Good bite to the thick chewy noodles.

Xie long bao (soup dumplings) and char siu bao (fluffy barbeque pork buns):

• By liuzhou
      I have just returned home to China from an almost two week trip to Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Vietnam. To get there I first travelled by train to the provincial capital, Nanning. The local airport only does domestic flights, whereas there are direct flights from Nanning. The flight time required that I stay overnight at the Aviation Hotel in Nanning, from which there is a regular direct bus to the airport.

The trip to Nanning is about an hour and a half and passes through some nice karst scenery.

After booking into the hotel, I set off for my favourite Nanning eating destination. Zhongshan Night market is a well known spot and very popular with the locals. I had forgotten that it was a local holiday - the place is always busy, but that night it was exceptionally so.

It consists of one long street with hundreds of stalls and is basically a seafood market, although there are a few stalls selling alternatives.

Filled myself with seafood (and some of that blood sausage above), slept soundly and, next morning, flew to Ho Chi Minh City.

The rest of my trip can be seen here:

• By KennethT
      Recently, there was a thread about stir frying over charcoal, which immediately brought to mind memories of eating in Bangkok in July 2013.  At that time, I hadn't gotten into the habit of writing food blogs, and considering that I had some spare time this weekend (a rarity) I figured I would put some of those memories down on paper, so to speak.  Back then, neither my wife nor I were in the habit of taking tons of photos like we do nowadays, but I think I can cobble something together that would be interesting to folks reading it.

In the spirit of memories, I'll first go back to 2006 when my wife and I took our honeymoon to Thailand (Krabi, Bangkok and Chiang Mai), Singapore and Hanoi.  That was our first time to Asia, and to be honest, I was a little nervous about it.  I was worried the language barrier would be too difficult to transcend, or that we'd have no idea where we were going.  So, to help mitigate my slight anxiety, I decided to book some guides for a few of the locations.  Our guides were great, but we realized that they really aren't necessary, and nowadays with internet access so much more prevalent, even less necessary.

Prior to the trip, when emailing with our guide in Bangkok to finalize plans, I mentioned that we wanted to be continuously eating (local food, I thought was implied!)  When we got there, I realized the misunderstanding when she opened her trunk to show us many bags of chips and other snack foods.. whoops...  Anyway, once the misconception was cleared up, she took us to a noodle soup vendor:

On the right is our guide, Tong, who is now a very famous and highly sought after guide in BKK.... at the time, we were among here first customers.  I had a chicken broth based noodle soup with fish ball, fish cake and pork meatball, and my wife had yen ta fo, which is odd because it is bright pink with seafood.  I have a lime juice, and my wife had a longan juice.

This is what a lot of local food places look like:

• By Lisa Shock
      Years ago, when I visited Tokyo, I ate in a small but fascinating restaurant called 'It's Vegetable' which is now, unfortunately, closed. The chef was from Taiwan, and he made Buddhist vegetarian and vegan dishes that resembled meat. During my visit, several monks wearing robes stopped in to eat dinner. The dishes were pretty amazing. I understood some of them, like using seitan to mimic chicken in stir fry dishes, others used tofu products like yuba, but, others were complex and obviously difficult. One very notable dish we enjoyed was a large 'fish' fillet designed to serve several people. It had a 'skin' made of carefully layered 'scales' cut from nori and attached to the surface. Inside, the white 'flesh' flaked and tasted much like a mild fish. Anyway, apparently Buddhist fake meat meals are very popular in Taiwan and many places, cheap through to fine dining serve them. Yes, if I worked on it for a while, I could probably refine one or two dishes on my own, but, I am wondering if there's a Modernist Cuisine type cookbook for skillfully making these mock meats from scratch? (I have heard that some items are commercially made and available frozen there, much like soy-based burgers are in the US.) I am willing to try almost any offering, even if it's entirely in Chinese. And, I know how to use remailers to purchase regional items from the various local retailers worldwide who do not ship to the US.
    • By liuzhou
      Note: This follows on from the Munching with the Miao topic.

The three-hour journey north from Miao territory ended up taking four, as the driver missed a turning and we had to drive on to the next exit and go back. But our hosts waited for us at the expressway exit and lead us up a winding road to our destination - Buyang 10,000 mu tea plantation (布央万亩茶园 bù yāng wàn mǔ chá yuán) The 'mu' is  a Chinese measurement of area equal to 0.07 of a hectare, but the 10,000 figure is just another Chinese way of saying "very large".

We were in Sanjiang Dong Autonomous County, where 57% of the inhabitants are Dong.

The Dong people (also known as the Kam) are noted for their tea, love of glutinous rice and their carpentry and architecture. And their hospitality. They tend to live at the foot of mountains, unlike the Miao who live in the mid-levels.

By the time we arrived, it was lunch time, but first we had to have a sip of the local tea. This lady did the preparation duty.

This was what we call black tea, but the Chinese more sensibly call 'red tea'. There is something special about drinking tea when you can see the bush it grew on just outside the window!

Then into lunch:

Chicken Soup

The ubiquitous Egg and Tomato

Dried fish with soy beans and chilli peppers. Delicious.

Stir fried lotus root

Daikon Radish

Rice Paddy Fish Deep Fried in Camellia Oil - wonderful with a smoky flavour, but they are not smoked.

Out of Focus Corn and mixed vegetable

Fried Beans

Steamed Pumpkin

Chicken

Beef with Bitter Melon

Glutinous (Sticky) Rice

Oranges

The juiciest pomelo ever. The area is known  for the quality of its pomelos.

After lunch we headed out to explore the tea plantation.

Interspersed with the tea plants are these camellia trees, the seeds of which are used to make the Dong people's preferred cooking oil.

As we climbed the terraces we could hear singing and then came across this group of women. They are the tea pickers. It isn't tea picking time, but they came out in their traditional costumes to welcome us with their call and response music. They do often sing when picking. They were clearly enjoying themselves.

And here they are:

After our serenade we headed off again, this time to the east and the most memorable meal of the trip. Coming soon.