• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

My son married a lovely young lady from Yakeshi, Inner Mongolia, China.   Mongolian: ᠶᠠᠠᠠᠰᠢ ᠬᠣᠲᠠ (Ягши хот); Chinese: 牙克石; pinyin: Yákèshí

We had a wedding in the US but her family also wanted to have a traditional wedding in China.  DH and I have never being to China so this was an exciting opportunity for us!  We spent a few days in Beijing doing touristy stuff and then flew to Hailar.  There is only one flight a day on Air China that we took at 6 in the morning.  Yakeshi is about an hour drive from Hailar on a beautiful toll road with no cars on it.  I wish we took pictures of free roaming sheep and cows along the way.  The original free range meat.

The family met us at the airport.  We were greeted with a shot of a traditional Chinese spirit from a traditional leather vessel.  Nothing says welcome like a stiff drink at 9 AM.  We were supposed to have a three shots (may be they were joking) but family took pity on us and limited it to one only.

150527 034 InLaws Mongolian Flask.JPG150527 046 Lunch Booze.JPG

Edited by chefmd (log)
  • Like 8

We checked into local hotel and took a short walk to in-laws apartment which is only a couple of blocks away.  Both parents work for the local government and have lived in Yakeshi all their life so we got a five star treatment at the hotel and everywhere else in town.

In laws building

150527 032 InLaws Building.JPG

Welcome snacks.  I am from Russia and my son was born there so our hosts provided us with plethora of Chinese and Russian snacks.  Yakeshi is rather close to Russian border so it is easy to get that stuff.  Bride and groom are going to have Russian candies as party favors.  Far left bag contains extremely addictive sunflower seeds coated in some tasty substance.  I had to be physically removed from it to stop eating.  Very delicate green tea was flowing freely.  Fortunately we did not have to do any more shots.

150527 037 InLaws Snacks.JPG

• Like 8

In-laws have two refrigerators and a chest freezer.  Refrigerators are decorated the same way they are in Russia with very thoughtfully chosen beautiful items.

150527 039 InLaws Refrigerator 1.JPG

Freezer is full of home made dumplings some of which will make an appearance at lunch in a local restaurant later that day.

150527 038 InLaws Dumpling Freezer.JPG

• Like 7

Local market is a very happening place.   I was insanely jealous to see the variety of food that is not available to me in the US.

Fresh unpasteurized milk.

150527 011 Yakeshi Market Milk Truck.JPG

Green eggs.  Just add ham.

150527 012 Yakeshi Market Green Eggs.JPG

Dried food

150527 013 Yakeshi Market Store Dmitri.JPG

Mushrooms, glorious mushrooms

150527 014 Yakeshi Market Store Mushrooms.JPG

• Like 13

More market pictures.

Fresh noodles.

150527 016 Yakeshi Market Noodles.JPG

Peppers

150527 017 Yakeshi Market Peppers.JPG

Meat and offal.  People were happy to pose for our pictures.

150527 018 Yakeshi Market Butcher Meat.JPG

150527 019 Yakeshi Market Butcher Parts.JPG

Ferns and wild greens

150527 020 Yakeshi Market .JPG

• Like 15

And even more market pictures.

Fruits

150527 023 Yakeshi Market Fruit.JPG

Ginger as big as my hand

150527 025 Yakeshi Market Ginger Garlic.JPG

Fish

150527 024 Yakeshi Market Fish.JPG

Tomatoes

150527 026 Yakeshi Market Tomatoes.JPG

Rice and corn 

150527 027 Yakeshi Market Cornmeal Rice.JPG

Dried fish

150527 031 Yakeshi Market Dried Fish.JPG

• Like 12

Will keep posting later.  It is 8 AM here and Internet suddenly became very slow.  Here is a picture of the restaurant where we had lunch.

150527 041 Lunch Entrance.JPG

150527 042 Lunch Veg.JPG

• Like 11

What beautiful produce and food!  What a lovely welcome!

The refrigerator decoration, although far prettier than my assortment of magnets and notes, looks a bit obstructed for opening and closing.  If it had a cloth covering like that in my house, it would discourage people opening and raiding the refrigerator, and we'd claim that it was to encourage our diets. ;) I suppose they just flip back the part that covers the door?

• Like 3

Fascinating, thank you so much!  

• Like 3

@Smithy

i agree that refrigerator decor is impractical.  It is located in living room though and kinda matches the decor.

• Like 3

Red is a lucky colour, isn't it? :)

Congratulations to you and your family on your son's marriage. And even more congratulations to the bride and groom. I wish them a long and happy union. What a wonderful occasion for you all - and for us since you have chosen to let us in on it all via your pictorial tour. Thank you.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chefmd said:

We were supposed to have a three shots (may be they were joking) but family took pity on us and limited it to one only.

They weren't joking! It is customary to have three. I can't bear the stuff myself.

Your green eggs are duck eggs. Interesting to see that they are priced by number. Down here in the south they are sold by weight. They come in various shades from white, through green to blue.

I enjoying seeing China through your eyes. Looking forward to the next instalment.

• Like 7

Congratulations to you and all of your family, the bride and her family. Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to share your experiences in China with us here.

I have never seen so many fiddleheads together in one place as those portrayed in the bag you photographed. Perhaps the most covet-worthy thing of many in your post.

8 hours ago, chefmd said:

The family met us at the airport.  We were greeted with a shot of a traditional Chinese spirit from a traditional leather vessel.  Nothing says welcome like a stiff drink at 9 AM.  We were supposed to have a three shots (may be they were joking) but family took pity on us and limited it to one only.

150527 034 InLaws Mongolian Flask.JPG

The Greeks also use pitch coated leather wine skins, and I have partaken from them. Hard to keep sanitary, IMO, but my first (Greek descent) husband was insistent about using his. Very nice depiction of a horse on the one you showed. The Chinese have a very distinctive way of portraying horses in their art. @chefmd, What is that bent metallic-looking bar that runs across the horse's face? The Greek version has nothing like that.

Three shots at 9:00 AM? :wacko: Yikes!

6 hours ago, Smithy said:

The refrigerator decoration, although far prettier than my assortment of magnets and notes, looks a bit obstructed for opening and closing.  If it had a cloth covering like that in my house, it would discourage people opening and raiding the refrigerator, and we'd claim that it was to encourage our diets. ;) I suppose they just flip back the part that covers the door?

The thing is Chinese people seldom actually use their fridges in the way we do in the west, so any inconvenience is minimised. At best there may be a few leftovers from last night. Often the fridge is empty.

Freezing dumplings is more common. Go into a Chinese supermarket. There is very little frozen food on sale (mostly dumplings) and even when people do buy say frozen meat or fish, they eat it that day so it is immediately left to defrost without ever visiting their own freezer compartments.

Fridge/freezers are still very much status symbols and are usually parked in the sitting room (often opposite the front door) so that visitors can't miss them. I don't think I've ever seen a fridge in the kitchen of a Chinese home.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 11

Congratulations to the bride and groom! Look forward to seeing more pictures :)

• Like 1

@Thanks for the Crepes I do not know what the metal bar is for.  Possibly for holding the vessel.  I did not get a good look at it.  

@liuzhou  Will try to take a look inside the refrigerator if we will go to the apartment again.  Now I am curious if there is food in it.  In Russia refrigerators are usually packed chock full.  It is dangerous to open the door cause the food may start falling out.

• Like 6

OK, back at the computer.

This was yesterday's lunch. 

Local beer is very light and goes real well with salty foods.  And it flows freely during the meal.

160527 045 Lunch Beer Mama.JPG

Tofu noodles.  Probably my favorite dish.  I did not know that you could make noodles from tofu.

160527 043 Lunch Tofu Noodles.JPG

Seaweed salad

160527 044 Lunch Seaweed.JPG

Some pickled root.  Tasted like parsnip.

160527 047 Lunch Pickled Root.JPG

• Like 7

More lunch dishes

Whole fish

160527 048 Lunch Fish.JPG

Deep fried eggplant stuffed with pork

160527 049 Lunch Fried Eggplant Pork.JPG

Nice salad that is hiding glass noodles on the bottom

160527 050 Lunch Glass Noodle Salad.JPG

Deep fried pork and peppers.  This one was not sweet.

160527 051 Lunch Savory Pork.JPG

Sweet and sour pork.  Because you can never eat enough pork :)

160527 053 Lunch Sweet and Sour Pork.JPG

• Like 12

thank you for sharing your trip.

very interesting.

"Lettuce wraps" made with shiso leafs.  At least I think those were shiso.  Way better than lettuce.  And easier to fold.

160527 052 Lunch Lettuce Wrap Pork.JPG

Potato dish.  Potatoes were somewhat al denter to my surprise but that is how it is supposed to be cooked.

160527 056 Lunch Potato.JPG

Home made dumplings that were boiled at the restaurant.  Did I mention that my in-laws know everyone in town?

160527 054 Lunch Dumplings Lamb.JPG

And dessert was fried dough covered in melted sugar.  Our hosts dipped it in beer.  I tried dipping it and it was not bad at all.

160527 057 Lunch Chinese Donuts.JPG

• Like 9

There were only eight people at lunch.  I really hope that left overs were taken home.  We left a little early to go back to the hotel since family had to plan the wedding.  The amount of food served was beyond generous.

• Like 3

It does look like a great spread and far more food than 8 people could eat!  The last photo of your first post in the set has food labeled as "Some pickled root. Tasted like parsnip.". It looks like it has a coating, as though it was also fried.  Do you remember whether it was?

• Like 1

Yesterday's dinner was at the restaurant where we cooked part of the meal on the grill.  The other part came pre-cooked.

There were few plates on the table when we arrived.

160527 059 Dinner Appetizers.JPG

A very bad picture of a robot that delivered a couple of plates.  It was mostly for show since waiters delivered majority of the food.

160527 060 Dinner Robot.JPG

Different spices and sauces for dipping

160527 061 Dinner Sauces.JPG

• Like 5

• Similar Content

• By liuzhou
      Perhaps the food-related question I get asked most through my blog is “What's it like for vegetarians and vegans in China. The same question came up recently on another thread, so I put this together. Hope it's useful. It would also, be great to hear other people's experience and solutions.

For the sake of typing convenience I’m going to conflate 'vegetarians and vegan' into just 'vegetarian' except where strictly relevant.
      First a declaration of non-interest. I am very carnivorous, but I have known vegetarians who have passed through China, some staying only a few weeks, others staying for years.

Being vegetarian in China is a complicated issue. In some ways, China is probably one of the best countries in which to be vegetarian. In other ways, it is one of the worst.

I spent a couple of years in Gorbachev-era Russia and saw the empty supermarkets and markets. I saw people line up for hours to buy a bit of bread.. So, when I first came to China, I kind of expected the same. Instead, the first market I visited astounded me. The place was piled high with food, including around 30 different types of tofu, countless varieties of steamed buns and flat breads and scores of different vegetables, both fresh and preserved, most of which I didn't recognise. And so cheap I could hardly convert into any western currency.
      If you are able to self-cater then China is heaven for vegetarians. For short term visitors dependent on restaurants or street food, the story is very different.

Despite the perception of a Buddhist tradition (not that strong, actually), very few Chinese are vegetarian and many just do not understand the concept. Explaining in a restaurant that you don't eat meat is no guarantee that you won't be served meat.

Meat is seen in China as a status symbol. If you are rich, you eat more meat.And everyone knows all foreigners are rich, so of course they eat meat! Meat eating is very much on the rise as China gets more rich - even to the extent of worrying many economists, food scientists etc. who fear the demand is pushing up prices and is environmentally dangerous. But that's another issue. Obesity is also more and more of a problem.
      Banquet meals as served in large hotels and banquet dedicated restaurants will typically have a lot more meat dishes than a smaller family restaurant. Also the amount of meat in any dish will be greater in the banquet style places.

Traditional Chinese cooking is/was very vegetable orientated. I still see my neighbours come home from the market with their catch of greenery every morning. However, whereas meat wasn't the central component of dinner, it was used almost as a condiment or seasoning. Your stir fried tofu dish may come with a scattering of ground pork on top, for example. This will not usually be mentioned on the menu.
      Simple stir fried vegetables are often cooked in lard (pig fat) to 'improve' the flavour.

Another problem is that the Chinese word for meat (肉), when used on its own refers to pork. Other meats are specified, eg (beef) is 牛肉, literally cattle meat. What this means is that when you say you don't eat meat, they often think you mean you don't eat pork (something they do understand from the Chinese Muslim community), so they rush off to the kitchen and cook you up some stir fried chicken! I've actually heard a waitress saying to someone that chicken isn't meat. Also, few Chinese wait staff or cooks seem to know that ham is pig meat. I have also had a waitress argue ferociously with me that the unasked for ham in a dish of egg fried rice wasn't meat.

Also, Chinese restaurant dishes are often given have really flowery, poetic names which tell you nothing of the contents. Chinese speakers have to ask. One dish on my local restaurant menu reads “Maternal Grandmother's Fluttering Fragrance.” It is, of course, spicy pork ribs!
      Away from the tourist places, where you probably don't want to be eating anyway, very few restaurants will have translations of any sort. Even the best places' translations will be indecipherable. I have been in restaurants where they have supplied an “English menu”, but if I didn't know Chinese would have been unable to order anything. It was gibberish.

To go back to Buddhism and Taoism, it is a mistake to assume that genuine followers of either (or more usually a mix of the two) are necessarily vegetarian. Many Chinese Buddhists are not. In fact, the Dalai Lama states in his autobiography that he is not vegetarian. It would be very difficult to survive in Tibet on a vegetarian diet.

There are vegetarian restaurants in many places (although the ones around where I am never seem to last more than six months). In the larger cities such as Beijing and Shanghai they are more easily findable.

Curiously, many of these restaurants make a point of emulating meat dishes. The menu reads like any meat using restaurant, but the “meat” is made from vegetable substitutes (often wheat gluten or konjac based).

To be continued
    • By Mullinix18
      I'm thinking about starting a blog featuring the recipes of antoine Carême that I've translated from 1700s French? No English versions of his works exist and his work is hard to find, even though he is the greatest chef who ever lived. After I get through his works I'd add menon, la Varenne, and other hard to find, but historically important masters of French cuisine. 
    • By liuzhou
      While there have been other Chinese vegetable topics in the past, few of them were illustrated And some which were have lost those images in various "upgrades".

What I plan to do is photograph every vegetable I see and say what it is, if I know. However, this is a formidable task so it'll take time. The problem is that so many vegetables go under many different Chinese names and English names adopted from one or other Chinese language, too. For example, I know four different words for 'potato' and know there are more. And there are multiple regional preference in nomenclature. Most of what you will see will be vegetables from supermarkets, where I can see the Chinese labelling. In "farmer's" or wet markets, there is no labelling and although, If I ask, different traders will have different names for the same vegetable. Many a time I've been supplied a name, but been unable to find any reference to it from Mr Google or his Chinese counterparts. Or if I find the Chinese, can't find an accepted translation so have to translate literally.

Also, there is the problem that most of the names which are used in the English speaking countries have, for historical reasons, been adopted from Cantonese, whereas 90% of Chinese speak Mandarin (普通话 pǔ tōng huà). But I will do my best to supply as many alternative names as I can find. I shall also attempt to give Chinese names in simplified Chinese characters as used throughout mainland China and then in  traditional Chinese characters,  now mainly only used in Hong Kong, Taiwan and among much of the Chinese diaspora. If I only give one version, that means they are the same in Simp and Trad.

I'll try to do at least one a day. Until I collapse under the weight of vegetation.

Please, if you know any other names for any of these, chip in. Also, please point out any errors of mine.

I'll start with bok choy/choy. This is and alternatives such as  pak choi or pok choi are Anglised attempts at the Cantonese pronunciation of the Mandarin! However in Cantonese it is more often 紹菜; Jyutping: siu6 coi3. In Chinese it is 白菜. Mandarin Pinyin 'bái cài'. This literally means 'white vegetable' but really just means 'cabbage' and of course there are many forms of cabbage. Merely asking for bái cài in many a Chinese store or restaurant will be met with blank stares and requests to clarify. From here on I'm just going to translate 白菜 as 'cabbage'.

So, here we go.

Brassica rapa subsp. pekinensis

This is what you may be served if you just ask for baicai. Or maybe not. In much of China it is 大白菜 dà bái cài meaning 'big cabbage'. In English, usually known as Napa cabbage, Chinese cabbage, celery cabbage, Chinese leaf, etc.  In Chinese, alternative names include 结球白菜 / 結球白菜 ( jié qiú bái cài ), literally knotted ball cabbage, but there are many more. 

more soon
    • By liuzhou
      It is possibly not well-known that China has some wonderful hams, up there with the best that Spain can offer. This lack of wide -knowledge, at least in the USA, is mainly down to regulations forbidding their importation. However, for travellers to China and those in  places with less restrictive policies, here are some of the best.

This article from the WSJ is a good introduction to one of the best - Xuanwei Ham 宣威火腿  (xuān wēi huǒ tuǐ) from Yunnan province.
      This Ingredient Makes Everything Better
      I can usually obtain Xuanwei ham here around the Chinese New Year/Spring Festival, but I also have a good friend who lives in Yunnan who sends me regular supplies. The article compares it very favourably with jamon iberico, a sentiment with which I heartily agree.

Xuanwei Ham

Xuanwei Ham

more coming soon.

• By Tara Middleton
      Alright so as of a few months ago, I decided to take an impromptu trip to Europe--mostly unplanned but with several priorities set in mind: find the best food and locate the most game-changing ice cream spots on the grounds of each city I sought out for. One of the greatest, most architecturally unique and divine cities I have visited thus far has gotta be Vienna, Austria. But what in the heck is there to eat over there?! (you might ask). 'Cause I sure as hell didn't know. So, I desperately reached out to a local Viennese friend of mine, who knows and understands my avid passion for all things edible, and she immediately shot back some must-have food dishes. Doing a bit of research beforehand, I knew I had to try the classic "Kasekreiner". Please forgive my German if I spelled that wrong. But no matter how you say it- say it with passion, because passion is just about all I felt when I ate it. Translated: it basically means cheese sausage. Honestly, what is there not to love about those two words. Even if that's not necessarily your go-to, do me a favor and give it a shot. Trust me, you won't regret it. A classic Austrian pork sausage with pockets of melty cheese, stuffed into a crisp French Baguette. No ketchup necessary (...and as an American, that's saying a lot). YUM. Best spot to try out this one-of-a-kind treat?! Bitzinger bei der Albertina – Würstelstand. Now here's a shot of me with my one true love in front of this classic Viennese green-domed building-- Karlskirche. Now, go check it.