Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

pastryani

Name that mold!

Recommended Posts

So I came across this cool looking chocolate mold but I can't seem to find it anywhere.  I figured if anyone would know, this group would!  I'm wondering if anyone knows who makes this and what the model number is?

 

image.jpeg

(Oops forgot to source the pics!:  this is from La fleur de chocolat at this site: http://www.lafleurdechocolat.co.uk)

 

Note that the shape is exactly like this one by silikomart, but the silikomart one is closer to a complete circle, larger, and is for pastry/entremets:

image.jpeg

(This pic is from Bakedeco at this site: http://www.bakedeco.com/a/silikomart-modular--33251.htm)

 

My guess is that the chocolate bars are about 1/2" wide by 3" long, or something similar to that.  Any ideas?

 


Edited by pastryani Forgot to reference the pics. (log)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought at first Pavoni - but can't find them on their list. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, tikidoc said:

Not exactly the same, but this looks to be in the same ballpark if you can't find that one.

 

http://www.dr.ca/fluted-bar-silicone-moulds.html

 

Hmm thanks Tikidoc... but I think the silicone one is a bit wider than I'd like.  Plus I like the distinct "bulbi-ness" of the original pic.  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think it's the one you are looking fot  and it is not for chocolate but there is also the tango from Silikomark


Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Kerry for checking.

Thanks Franci - that's the first one I thought of too, but yeah that's more for ice creams/cakes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pastryani said:

 

Hmm thanks Tikidoc... but I think the silicone one is a bit wider than I'd like.  Plus I like the distinct "bulbi-ness" of the original pic.  :D

 

Yea, I like it better too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So it looks like a bar size - La Fleur de Chocolat is a british chocolaterie that seems to be the only pictures I can find using that mold. Wonder if they had it made custom.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

So it looks like a bar size - La Fleur de Chocolat is a british chocolaterie that seems to be the only pictures I can find using that mold. Wonder if they had it made custom.

 

 

Yes that's where I saw it.  I sent in an inquiry but so far no answer.  Ooooo custom - how fancy!!  :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've gone through all the Chocolate World, Cabrellon, Pavoni, Martellato, JVK, Mold'art and Xinxing molds and don't see anything quite like it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I've gone through all the Chocolate World, Cabrellon, Pavoni, Martellato, JVK, Mold'art and Xinxing molds and don't see anything quite like it.

 

 

Wow Kerry thanks for doing that - I hope it didn't take too long! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

La fleur de chocolat does have a photo of the actual mold on their Facebook page. Find them and scroll through their photos, it's about 2 years old. No markings that I can see in the photo but maybe it will help. 

 

Here is the link to their FB page

http://bit.ly/1SqhYV9

 

and a screenshot 

image.png


Edited by pastrygirl Add link, screenshot (log)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Renee from cc   thinks it looks like a JVK mold  from the yellowish discoloration. I will have a more thorough look through their molds later today. It may however be a discontinued JVK.

 

JVK will make a couple of molds for you if they have the dies available -  it may take a while.


Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pastrygirl said:

La fleur de chocolat does have a photo of the actual mold on their Facebook page. Find them and scroll through their photos, it's about 2 years old. No markings that I can see in the photo but maybe it will help. 

 

Here is the link to their FB page

http://bit.ly/1SqhYV9

 

and a screenshot 

image.png

 

 

Oh my pastrygirl - you're quite the detective!!! :). Thanks for tracking this down.  They're bigger than I pictured but still cool.  But I guess they are custom since they're not in any of the catalogs.

 

Btw, anyone know how much it is to design and have a custom polycarbonate mold created?  Seems like it would be super pricy and not really worth it if you only wanted a couple of molds made. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Renee from cc   thinks it looks like a JVK mold  from the yellowish discoloration. I will have a more thorough look through their molds later today. It may however be a discontinued JVK.

 

JVK will make a couple of molds for you if they have the dies available -  it may take a while.

 

Wow thanks for inquiring Kerry!  I love how super-sleuthing everyone is! :)

 

I'd never even heard of JKV.  I just went through their bar section and didn't see it so I suspect you're right about it being discontinued. The rectangular bar mold alongside this bumpy one in the Facebook picture was also not there.  Ahh well! :S

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pastryani said:
 

Oh my pastrygirl - you're quite the detective!!! :). Thanks for tracking this down.  They're bigger than I pictured but still cool.  But I guess they are custom since they're not in any of the catalogs.

 

Btw, anyone know how much it is to design and have a custom polycarbonate mold created?  Seems like it would be super pricy and not really worth it if you only wanted a couple of molds made. 

  •  

 

I like a challenge!

 

I've looked into custom molds through Tomric in NY and the polycarbonate is less than $10 per mold but the die tooling is $200-300 plus possibly some design time. So if you want 100 of them to build a brand or product around it would be worth it, but not for a few molds for the hobbyist (unless you are a very wealthy hobbyist) :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Micelli does custom molds as well - costs a couple of grand.

 

Have sent a question off to JKV to see if it is theirs.

 

 


Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pastrygirl said:

 

I like a challenge!

 

I've looked into custom molds through Tomric in NY and the polycarbonate is less than $10 per mold but the die tooling is $200-300 plus possibly some design time. So if you want 100 of them to build a brand or product around it would be worth it, but not for a few molds for the hobbyist (unless you are a very wealthy hobbyist) :)

 

Pastrygirl - did you ever end up having a custom mold made?  Yeah I figured you'd need to order in quantity to make it worth it, so it's definitely not for me. :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Micelli does custom molds as well - costs a couple of grand.

 

Have sent a question off to JKV to see if it is theirs.

 

 

Efficient you are, Dr. Beal!  :)  Thx!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, pastryani said:

 

Pastrygirl - did you ever end up having a custom mold made?  Yeah I figured you'd need to order in quantity to make it worth it, so it's definitely not for me. :D 

 

Not yet. Re-designing my packaging for a new bar would add another few grand to the project and I still have a few thousand units of packaging to use. I think a bigger bar would be better in some ways, mine only about 1-1/4 oz. I'd like to charge more and fit bulkier inclusions or multiple layers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm what a mystery indeed!  Well thanks for inquiring with them Kerry.  Perhaps we must concede then that it is indeed a custom mold. :ph34r: Thanks for your efforts all! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×