• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

pastryani

Name that mold!

So I came across this cool looking chocolate mold but I can't seem to find it anywhere.  I figured if anyone would know, this group would!  I'm wondering if anyone knows who makes this and what the model number is?

image.jpeg

(Oops forgot to source the pics!:  this is from La fleur de chocolat at this site: http://www.lafleurdechocolat.co.uk)

Note that the shape is exactly like this one by silikomart, but the silikomart one is closer to a complete circle, larger, and is for pastry/entremets:

image.jpeg

(This pic is from Bakedeco at this site: http://www.bakedeco.com/a/silikomart-modular--33251.htm)

My guess is that the chocolate bars are about 1/2" wide by 3" long, or something similar to that.  Any ideas?

Edited by pastryani Forgot to reference the pics. (log)
  • Like 1

I thought at first Pavoni - but can't find them on their list. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, tikidoc said:

Not exactly the same, but this looks to be in the same ballpark if you can't find that one.

http://www.dr.ca/fluted-bar-silicone-moulds.html

Hmm thanks Tikidoc... but I think the silicone one is a bit wider than I'd like.  Plus I like the distinct "bulbi-ness" of the original pic.  :D

I don't think it's the one you are looking fot  and it is not for chocolate but there is also the tango from Silikomark

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 1

Thanks Kerry for checking.

Thanks Franci - that's the first one I thought of too, but yeah that's more for ice creams/cakes.

3 hours ago, pastryani said:

Hmm thanks Tikidoc... but I think the silicone one is a bit wider than I'd like.  Plus I like the distinct "bulbi-ness" of the original pic.  :D

Yea, I like it better too.

• Like 1

So it looks like a bar size - La Fleur de Chocolat is a british chocolaterie that seems to be the only pictures I can find using that mold. Wonder if they had it made custom.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

So it looks like a bar size - La Fleur de Chocolat is a british chocolaterie that seems to be the only pictures I can find using that mold. Wonder if they had it made custom.

Yes that's where I saw it.  I sent in an inquiry but so far no answer.  Ooooo custom - how fancy!!  :)

I've gone through all the Chocolate World, Cabrellon, Pavoni, Martellato, JVK, Mold'art and Xinxing molds and don't see anything quite like it.

5 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I've gone through all the Chocolate World, Cabrellon, Pavoni, Martellato, JVK, Mold'art and Xinxing molds and don't see anything quite like it.

Wow Kerry thanks for doing that - I hope it didn't take too long! 

La fleur de chocolat does have a photo of the actual mold on their Facebook page. Find them and scroll through their photos, it's about 2 years old. No markings that I can see in the photo but maybe it will help. 

Here is the link to their FB page

http://bit.ly/1SqhYV9

and a screenshot 

image.png

Edited by pastrygirl Add link, screenshot (log)
  • Like 1

Renee from cc   thinks it looks like a JVK mold  from the yellowish discoloration. I will have a more thorough look through their molds later today. It may however be a discontinued JVK.

JVK will make a couple of molds for you if they have the dies available -  it may take a while.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, pastrygirl said:

La fleur de chocolat does have a photo of the actual mold on their Facebook page. Find them and scroll through their photos, it's about 2 years old. No markings that I can see in the photo but maybe it will help. 

Here is the link to their FB page

http://bit.ly/1SqhYV9

and a screenshot 

image.png

Oh my pastrygirl - you're quite the detective!!! :). Thanks for tracking this down.  They're bigger than I pictured but still cool.  But I guess they are custom since they're not in any of the catalogs.

Btw, anyone know how much it is to design and have a custom polycarbonate mold created?  Seems like it would be super pricy and not really worth it if you only wanted a couple of molds made. 

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Renee from cc   thinks it looks like a JVK mold  from the yellowish discoloration. I will have a more thorough look through their molds later today. It may however be a discontinued JVK.

JVK will make a couple of molds for you if they have the dies available -  it may take a while.

Wow thanks for inquiring Kerry!  I love how super-sleuthing everyone is! :)

I'd never even heard of JKV.  I just went through their bar section and didn't see it so I suspect you're right about it being discontinued. The rectangular bar mold alongside this bumpy one in the Facebook picture was also not there.  Ahh well! :S

2 hours ago, pastryani said:

Oh my pastrygirl - you're quite the detective!!! :). Thanks for tracking this down.  They're bigger than I pictured but still cool.  But I guess they are custom since they're not in any of the catalogs.

Btw, anyone know how much it is to design and have a custom polycarbonate mold created?  Seems like it would be super pricy and not really worth it if you only wanted a couple of molds made. 

•  

I like a challenge!

I've looked into custom molds through Tomric in NY and the polycarbonate is less than $10 per mold but the die tooling is $200-300 plus possibly some design time. So if you want 100 of them to build a brand or product around it would be worth it, but not for a few molds for the hobbyist (unless you are a very wealthy hobbyist) :)

• Like 2

Micelli does custom molds as well - costs a couple of grand.

Have sent a question off to JKV to see if it is theirs.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, pastrygirl said:

I like a challenge!

I've looked into custom molds through Tomric in NY and the polycarbonate is less than $10 per mold but the die tooling is $200-300 plus possibly some design time. So if you want 100 of them to build a brand or product around it would be worth it, but not for a few molds for the hobbyist (unless you are a very wealthy hobbyist) :)

Pastrygirl - did you ever end up having a custom mold made?  Yeah I figured you'd need to order in quantity to make it worth it, so it's definitely not for me. :D 

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Micelli does custom molds as well - costs a couple of grand.

Have sent a question off to JKV to see if it is theirs.

Efficient you are, Dr. Beal!  :)  Thx!!

46 minutes ago, pastryani said:

Pastrygirl - did you ever end up having a custom mold made?  Yeah I figured you'd need to order in quantity to make it worth it, so it's definitely not for me. :D 

Not yet. Re-designing my packaging for a new bar would add another few grand to the project and I still have a few thousand units of packaging to use. I think a bigger bar would be better in some ways, mine only about 1-1/4 oz. I'd like to charge more and fit bulkier inclusions or multiple layers. 

Hmm what a mystery indeed!  Well thanks for inquiring with them Kerry.  Perhaps we must concede then that it is indeed a custom mold. :ph34r: Thanks for your efforts all!