• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

HungryChris

HungryChris

Cuban mojo rotisserie chicken. Because it contains a lot of citrus (orange, lemon and lime juice) you can’t marinate it too long or the skin will not hold up to the long cooking time and fall apart and the skin is why you do this in the first place. So it is a happy dance of compromise to get it right. This chicken was almost 6 pounds, so it cooked for 2 ¾ hours at 350 over indirect heat. The long cooking time offers the perfect opportunity to break out a growler of my favorite local brew and the regular ½ hour basting schedule affords me the perfect pace to ensure that the second pint (these are 32 oz growlers) is finished up when the chicken is done. 

IMG_0840.JPG

IMG_0836.JPG

As a side note, this little brewery is in an old mill that was once a working velvet mill where my father worked. As a child, I was in there quite a bit and knew many of the loom workers and dye house people by name. Now it is a collection of art studios and shops, but is quite nostalgic when I visit to have my growlers refilled. Getting more than 2 growlers filled gets to be an awkward situation and much as I hate to admit it, I broke a full one once. It still pains me to think about as breaking an empty one would have been bad enough. My solution was to build a carrier that I based on an antique milk bottle carrier.

Growler Carrier.jpg

Getting back to the chicken:

IMG_0842.JPG

It was another fine Sunday chicken dinner with a baked potato and cucumber salad.

HC

IMG_0843.JPG  

HungryChris

HungryChris

Cuban mojo rotisserie chicken. Because it contains a lot of citrus (orange, lemon and lime juice) you can’t marinate it too long or the skin will not hold up to the long cooking time and fall apart and the skin is why you do this in the first place. So it is a happy dance of compromise to get it right. This chicken was almost 6 pounds, so it cooked for 2 ¾ hours at 350 over indirect heat. The long cooking time offers the perfect opportunity to break out a growler of my favorite local brew and the regular ½ hour basting schedule affords me the perfect pace to ensure that the second pint (these are 32 oz growlers) is finished up when the chicken is done. 

IMG_0840.JPG

IMG_0836.JPG

As a side note, this little brewery is in an old mill that was once a working velvet mill where my father worked. As a child, I was in there quite a bit and knew many of the loom workers and dye house people by name. Now it is a collection of art studios and shops, but is quite nostalgic when I visit to have my growlers refilled. Getting more than 2 growlers filled gets to be an awkward situation and much as I hate to admit it, I broke a full one once. It still pains me to think about as breaking an empty one would have been bad enough. My solution was to build a carrier that I replicated from an antique milk bottle carrier.

Growler Carrier.jpg

IMG_0842.JPG

It was another fine Sunday chicken dinner with a baked potato and cucumber salad.

HC

IMG_0843.JPG  

HungryChris

HungryChris

IMG_0840.JPG

IMG_0836.JPG

As a side note, this little brewery is in an old mill that was once a working velvet mill where my father worked. As a child, I was in there quite a bit and knew many of the loom workers and dye house people by name. Now it is a collections of art studios and shops, but is quite nostalgic when I visit to have my growlers refilled. Getting more than 2 growlers filled gets to be an awkward situation and much as I hate to admit it, I broke a full one once. It still pains me to think about as breaking an empty one would have been bad enough. My solution was to build a carrier that I replicated from an antique milk bottle carrier.

Growler Carrier.jpg

IMG_0842.JPG

HC

IMG_0843.JPG