• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

rustwood

rustwood

I am not sure if this is the right place for it, but I have a sort of newbie SV question. 

Chefsteps has an article about cooking chuck roast and near the beginning they say this:

What bags should I use?
You also want to make sure you have the right type of bag for this beast. When you are cooking heavy food, or cooking at temperatures above 158 °F / 70 °C, the seams of ziplock-style bags can fail and expose food to the water. In these cases, opt for heavy-duty sous vide bags. In a pinch, you can double-bag with two ziplock-style bags, but sous vide bags are preferable.

The bags they link to are vacuum chamber pouches.  It seems like a big leap to advise people to go from ziplocks to a chamber vacuum sealer so I am wondering (perhaps foolishly) if they are suggesting that you use the pouches without sealing them.  I suspect not, but maybe I am missing something.  I realize a vacuum isn't necessary to cook SV, but is an air-tight seal necessary?  Could you just displace most of the air, roll over the top and clip it to the container?  I own a basic FoodSaver but I usually cook in ziplock freezer bags so it would be nice to be able to use these for longer and/or high heat cooks.

I tend not to vacuum seal before I SV because I often cook with some sort of liquid and that makes sealing hard, plus I am usually too lazy to get out the FoodSaver for just one bag.

rustwood

rustwood

I am not sure if this is the right place for it, but I have a sort of newbie SV question. 

Chefsteps has an article about cooking chuck roast and near the beginning they say this:

What bags should I use?
You also want to make sure you have the right type of bag for this beast. When you are cooking heavy food, or cooking at temperatures above 158 °F / 70 °C, the seams of ziplock-style bags can fail and expose food to the water. In these cases, opt for heavy-duty sous vide bags. In a pinch, you can double-bag with two ziplock-style bags, but sous vide bags are preferable.

The bags they link to are vacuum chamber pouches.  It seems like a big leap to advise people to go from ziplocks to a chamber vacuum sealer so I am wondering (perhaps foolishly) if they are suggesting that you use the pouches without sealing them.  I suspect not, but maybe I am missing something.  I realize a vacuum isn't necessary to cook SV, but is an air-tight seal necessary?  Could you just displace most of the air, roll over the top and clip it to the container?  I own a basic FoodSaver but I usually cook in ziplock freezer bags so it would be nice to be able to use these for longer and/or high heat cooks.

I tend not to vacuum seal before I SV because I often cook with some sort of liquid and that makes sealing hard, plus I am often too lazy to get out the FoodSaver for just one bag.