• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shelby

Shelby

I found some venison steaks from 2013 in the freezer--yes they were buried.  Anyway, I decided to thaw and SV them.  I know now why they were buried....they were cut kind of thin in order to make chicken fried venison.  I decided to forge ahead and use them.  Again, we raved about the SV way of cooking.  Since they were so thin and I knew that I would be searing them after the water batch, I used a temp. of 120F (we like them rare) and did them for about an hour and half.  Good stuff.

PS.  The cut was the end of the backstrap.

P1201113.JPG.92414d4aa86a29aa30d8fe76747

Shelby

Shelby

I found some venison steaks from 2013 in the freezer--yes they were buried.  Anyway, I decided to thaw and SV them.  I know now why they were buried....they were cut kind of thin in order to make chicken fried venison.  I decided to forge ahead and use them.  Again, we raved about the SV way of cooking.  Since they were so thin and I knew that I would be searing them after the water batch, I used a temp. of 120F (we like them rare) and did them for about an hour and half.  Good stuff.

P1201113.JPG.92414d4aa86a29aa30d8fe76747