• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven (Part 2)

blue_dolphin

Oh...my...God. My first roast chicken in the CSO, and I swear, I believe it's the best roast chicken I ever made (and I've made a bunch).

roast chicken 0814.jpg

Five pound farm-raised chicken, frozen, thawed yesterday and brined overnight per the NYT's Beer Brined Chicken recipe. Well, mostly by that recipe; I had neither shallot nor leek, so I subbed a quartered and peeled Vidalia onion.

Into the CSO for an hour at 400 on steam-bake. After 30 minutes, the skin was promising to burn, so I put foil over it. Next time, I'll put the foil over first, and take it off for the last 15-20 minutes to crisp up. After an hour, the breast meat was 175, the thighs nearly 190. I pulled it, crimped the foil around it a bit tighter, and covered it with a dishtowel as a guard against a pesky housefly, and let it sit for 30 minutes.

Breast was moist, toothsome, perfectly done. Good, delicate flavor from the marinade and the herbs baked inside it. I haven't tried a thigh yet.

I may never cook a chicken any other way.

Elsewhen, I also made cinnamon rolls in the CSO yesterday:

cinnamon rolls 0814.jpg

Obviously a kitchen bandit made off with a warm cinnamon roll.

• Like 9

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@kayb

very nice to hear you enjoyed the Chicken.   Ill going to have to try one based on all the accolades, moving away from CkParts.

Id like to hear the details of the rolls, as they are one of my favorite.  maybe in cooler weather Ill give them a try.

what Rx did you use and how did you portion it out for the CSB's  " 1/4.2 " sheet pan 

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

@rotuts

The rolls were...OK. A tad dry, and I think that may be because I cooked them just a bit too long. I was making a Philadelphia butter cake, with the yeast-bread-type base and a gooey sugar/butter top layer, and decided midway I wanted to make a smaller cake in my 8 x 8 pan as opposed to a 9 x 13. Already had dough for the base made and risen; took half for the cake, rolled the other half out thin, painted it generously with melted butter, sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon, rolled up, cut in rolls, let them rise. Baked 20 minutes at 400. Should have been lower temp and/or shorter time.

The dough is a light brioche -- two eggs, 1/2 stick of butter, milk, flour, yeast, sugar. I think the recipe called for 1/2 cup milk, 2 1/4 cups flour,  1 packet yeast, 1/4 cup sugar. It made 13 small rolls, which were baked in the CSO's pan, with a little left-over room.

Frosting is simply confectioners sugar with a couple of tablespoons of heavy cream, applied while rolls were still hot.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 14/08/2016 at 3:37 AM, gfweb said:

I'm not much of a toast eater, so its taken a while for me to compare the BSO and CSO.

Impressive difference. CSO isn't standard toast, it is better.

Huh.

Thomas' English Muffins were on sale.  Hence my first experiment with toast in the CSO.  I agree there is an impressive difference.  But I'm not sure that means I like the CSO toast better -- compared to toast from my old (Braun, I think*) toaster.

I tried one muffin on a setting of 4 and it was underdone.  Another muffin I toasted on a setting of 5.  Better, though still flaccid.

Guidance would be welcome.

*I can see the toaster from the bedroom, but I cannot easily reach it to ascertain its provenance.

[Hosts' note: this topic has grown beyond the capacity of our servers to handle it efficiently.  The discussion continues here.]

Edited by lesliec
Added hosts' note (log)
  • Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou