• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

19 hours ago, Anna N said:

@liuzhou,

can I ask you to comment on the 3rd photograph in the series. It has me stumped.

Of course you can ask! Will I answer?

That depicts a very typical Dong village. There is usually a square with a communal meeting room. Most, if not all festivals (and they seem to have one every other week) are celebrated by huge communal meals in the village square. I think that is what we are seeing here. People are preparing for the meal or arriving to partake. I've been to a few of those meals, so it all looks pretty familiar.

Also it is snowing. The Dong area is north of here and although snow is unusual, in bad winters those villages are snowed in. But the festival goes on. By the way, there is no heating in any of the houses!

It's probably depicting a Chinese Spring Festival (Chinese New Year) meal.

liuzhou

liuzhou

18 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@liuzhou,

can I ask you to comment on the 3rd photograph in the series. It has me stumped.

Of course you can ask! Will I answer?

That depicts a very typical Dong village. There is usually a square with a communal meeting room. Most, if not all festivals (and they seem to have one every other week) are celebrated by huge communal meals in the village square. I think that is what we are seeing here. People are preparing for the meal or arriving to partake. I've been to a few of those m,eals, so it all looks pretty familiar.

Also it is snowing. The Dong area is north of here and although snow is unusual, in bad winters those villages are snowed in. But the festival goes on. By the way, there is no heating in any of the houses!